Anyone else get into GNR or NuGuns because of Guitar Hero/Rock Band?

Amir

I was speaking to a young fan (probably 16 or 17) at the Slash gig in London on the 12th and asked her how she got into Slash/GNR. She said she heard WTTJ for the first time in Guitar Hero III, then caught the video on MTV or VH1 a few months later, and got into them from there.

I was reminded of how I first heard about Buckethead when I looked him up after really digging Jordan in Guitar Hero II. I read about how he was in GNR for a while, which surprised me since I just thought of GNR as Axl and Slash and some other guys (I liked the hit singles like WTTJ, SCOM, Paradise City, and November Rain has always been one of my favourite songs, but beyond that I didn't really dig them). I think this was in 2007.

Then I think in Sept/Oct 2008 I was reading a review of Rock Band 2 on XPlay or G4TV, and they said one of the few downsides was that "Chinese Democracy is gonna suck". I checked out YouTube clips of Shackler's Revenge from the game and was taken aback by how different it was. I looked up Chinese Democracy again, and not long later the album's release date was announced and it was streaming on the GNR MySpace page. I think the 2 tracks that I really loved initially were Madagascar (that horn intro and Axl's voice again really surprised me) and Sorry.

Anyway, anyone else introduced to ChiDem or even Guns through Guitar Hero/Rock Band? I think it shows how effective these games are in introducing classic songs/bands to younger audiences.

Not me specifically, although those types of games have turned me onto quite a few bands I had never heard of/listened to.

However I had all the Chinese Democracy songs downloaded on Rock Band, which converted some of my friends into fans of the album, mainly thanks to 'Better.'

These games didn't turn me onto Guns N' Roses, but they certainly opened me up to a lot of music I didn't listen to. I was only 12 years old when Guitar Hero II came out, and the series really helped me go from listening to pop punk and post grunge to a lot of other (better) kinds of rock music. Honestly, the only band I probably listen to from before that game these days is Guns N' Roses. I haven't used the series as a method of finding new music in a number of years at this point, but even the new games have a few songs or bands I've never listened to that have turned me into a fan (the newest Rock Band game, Rock Band 3, turned me onto bands like Metric, The Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen, and Tegan and Sara). So while I don't rely on the games to introduce me to new music nowadays, it really played a big part in turning me onto some good music back in my early teens. Not Guns N' Roses, though.

EDIT: Funnily enough, Guns N' Roses is actually what got me into these games now that I think of it. I remembered seeing "Sweet Child O' Mine" on the back of the Guitar Hero II case and bought it for Christmas. :lol:

Edited by LightningBolt