You guys can say Axl is irrelevant all you want.....

Gunzen

But he makes one appearance on a fairly low rated talk show past midnight, and he has been trending on Yahoo for two days..

Untitled-35.jpg

I realize in the scheme of things this doesn't mean much, but there is something so polarizing or interesting about him that he just makes News. I wonder what it is that makes people so visceral for or against him, or what makes him to popular? He got a bigger standing o than I have ever seen. Even more than Slash when he was on Ellen, the first time. :tongue2:

I think if he made a legitimate attempt to market himself, which I am not saying he would or could do, or even wants to, he could become relevant. I have seen his appearance on many forum I frequent. He just makes news. I don't think this was worth a thread, but I do wonder why he is trending so much for 15 minutes of nothing on a Weds night on Kimmel?

people are genuinely interested in the mysterious guy. i think it was a great pr move after the bridge school fail. i hope he keeps up the momentum. i do think the plan was for it to be newsworthy so it sells tickets, seems like it was a hit. even the haters can't latch onto much to complain about it.

• Like 1

The public wants to like him again. He just needs to give them a few reasons. The Jimmy Kimmel interview was definately one. Every site that has a review about his interview, that allows comments, have been almost all positive. Even Ultimate-Guitar.

Edited by JimMorrison4

Guns N' Roses were the last great rock and roll band in the tradition of The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. And I believe Axl's only ever one big hit song away from being popular again.

This is a good point. I think the US badly wants another true rock star. I think enough time has passed that most of the ill will, besides the few assholes on this board, would forgive, or have forgotten. it was just a thought.

The public wants to like him again. He just needs to give them a few reasons. The Jimmy Kimmel interview was definately one. Every site that has a review about his interview, that allows comments, have been almost all positive. Even Ultimate-Guitar.

lol ultimate guitar.

I remember when the whole hall of fame thing was happening and nearly every poster was saying how even izzy turned up yet axl didn't. Had a good chuckle about that one.

But yeah it is surprising to see how positive it has gone down, and that's great. Hell even a majority of the comments over at blabbermouth were positive.

• Like 1

Guest RonMexico82

Did it ever occur to you that the so called haters are happy to see Axl being productive because as fans they want to see him do well for himself? You can be critical of him and still be a fan at the end of the day.

Axl has become a joke. And I never thought I'd say that. Back in the day he was the greatest in many ways. Now.....it's like WTF happened to him. He's more of a fat/bloated has been typical '80's hair band singer. The hat hides the baldness, the voice gone, 3 chins and a gut. It's too bad to.

He is irrelevant in an artistic sense. People are more interested in his tantrums, Botox, bald spot, lateness and reclusive lifestyle.

Axl has become a joke. And I never thought I'd say that. Back in the day he was the greatest in many ways. Now.....it's like WTF happened to him. He's more of a fat/bloated has been typical '80's hair band singer. The hat hides the baldness, the voice gone, 3 chins and a gut. It's too bad to.

It's not his fault he got old you idiot.

Can't wait to see what you look like when you're 50, bet you wont look like you do now.

• Like 1

Guns N' Roses were the last great rock and roll band in the tradition of The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. And I believe Axl's only ever one big hit song away from being popular again.

I belive thats true. One hit song, that what it takes.

i totally agree with this too. i hope axl realizes that too. it's not as out of reach as it may have seemed at various points in his life.

you ever know somebody who only dates losers because they're convinced successful relationships can't work for them? like they're self-sabotaging their chances at success and happiness? that's kinda how i feel about chinese democracy. like on a certain level axl was afraid he couldn't write hit songs without his hall of fame band, so he decided to try and write the farthest thing from hit songs. but i'd like to believe he could still do it.

Not that I think it's that big a deal, but about the whole "old" thing... have you seen Henry Rollins lately? guy is still built like an ox, getting old doesn't automatically mean you're out of shape.

But yeah, imagine if Axl made periodic appearances like this. His relevance wouldn't even be up for debate

Yes I believe if "Better" had had promotion would be a great hit nowadays.

• Like 1

Not that I think it's that big a deal, but about the whole "old" thing... have you seen Henry Rollins lately? guy is still built like an ox, getting old doesn't automatically mean you're out of shape.

But yeah, imagine if Axl made periodic appearances like this. His relevance wouldn't even be up for debate

He's in good shape, not sure about an ox. Saw him when he was still working out like a madman.

I belive thats true. One hit song, that what it takes.

i totally agree with this too. i hope axl realizes that too. it's not as out of reach as it may have seemed at various points in his life.

you ever know somebody who only dates losers because they're convinced successful relationships can't work for them? like they're self-sabotaging their chances at success and happiness? that's kinda how i feel about chinese democracy. like on a certain level axl was afraid he couldn't write hit songs without his hall of fame band, so he decided to try and write the farthest thing from hit songs. but i'd like to believe he could still do it.

A hit song's nothing more than something a lot of people like and want to keep listening to.

This ^^

He is irrelevant in an artistic sense. People are more interested in his tantrums, Botox, bald spot, lateness and reclusive lifestyle.

It's not his fault he got old you idiot.

Right. Dude's complaining about the process of aging. "Time has its way with everyone." Ryan Adams

Did it ever occur to you that the so called haters are happy to see Axl being productive because as fans they want to see him do well for himself? You can be critical of him and still be a fan at the end of the day.

Great post.

People are way too quick to label somebody if they aren't worshipping Axl 24/7.

On this forum you are a hater if you wish Axl would release new music, you wish he'd rehearse before tours, and you don't praise his every move.

As for the actual topic.

Funny we bash the world for caring about celebrities........but when Axl makes the "trends" then it is the greatest thing ever!!!! If Taylor Swift goes on a date tonight and it's photographed, she will make the top 10 trends for a couple days. Why does anybody care about celebrity news like this?

I'm as thrilled as anybody that Axl had a great time on the Kimmel show. I wish he'd do more public things like that. BUT think about this. The most positive press that Axl has received in recent memory is for a TV fluff appearance and NOT for a concert or for his singing. That is messed up.

I yearn for the day when Axl makes the news - or the top 10 trends - for his musical performance and not because he told a funny joke or two on a late night talk show. Now when Axl trends it is almost always for NON-singing related items (like the RnR hall of fame) or for bad vocal performances (Rio).

I will be impressed or happy when he trends because of a great musical performance or because people are talking about his singing in a good way, or how awesome his new music is, etc.

And I'm not a hater because of that, I'm just not an Axl ass-kisser. Why? Because I want Axl to succeed. I would love for Axl to release new music on a regular basis, have hits, critical success and take GnR to a level higher than the old band did. But for some weird reason, on this forum, wanting your favorite band to be successful means you are a hater full of entitlement issues. I will continue to root for Axl to succeed.

And I believe Axl's only ever one big hit song away from being popular again.

I remember after CD came out and then disappeared, people were certain it would follow the path of AFD, and somehow a year later the world would discover it's greatness. Didn't happen, but Axl has proven in the past that with the help of certain other musicians he can write a hit song. Those guys are gone now however, and there's no guarantee that he can recapture that with anyone else, no matter how talented they might be.

He's not even that fat. I'm glad you're doing drugs though you're mindless and worthless anyways as a human being..

If songs like TWAT, Catcher, SR, Prostitute and even Riad had more promotion they all could've had the chance to be a hit. The reason why so many people don't like what Axl did is because they believe that he is now incapable of producing a good rock song, when the truth is he's not and CD proves that.

Axl could easily claim the lucrative "Steven Tyler/Elder Statesman of Rock" role in culture at any moment IMHO simply by putting himself out there more. He's funny, mysterious and authentic. Wednesday definitely showed that IMHO...

That said- no indication at all that he's actually interested in it though. As great a job as he did on Kimmel- I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's happy to be done with it and hoping not to be involved in too many more appearances like it...