You guys can say Axl is irrelevant all you want.....

Gunzen

I think Axl is aware that creating some mystery plays a part in keeping people interested in GNR. But it also makes people nosy and stalkerish. People want to know what's going on with him, always have since they made it big.

People like Bob Dylan and Prince have been enigmas for decades, but how much of it's done intentionally? No one knows except them, and even the people close to them have never been able to answer it. I think Axl enjoys living the life of a private citizen, and when he wants to be in full rock star regalia, he can come out of "hiding".

People have been speculating about David Bowie's health for a couple of years. He's fine - he just doesn't want to be in the limelight right now. He Tweets on Iman's phone, and debunked something recently. David Lee Roth wrote in his book that he's able to go bike riding and blend in when he wants to, and be a full on rock star when he wants to. If he gets recognized, so be it.

I think that's pretty much how Axl lives his life... if there's nothing to promote, no point in drawing attention.

Does Axl enjoy the occasional mention in TMZ? Maybe, but he wouldn't admit to it.

He's fine with the paparazzi as long as they're not being invasive, and in the case of the airport scuffle, they were being invasive.

Axl has become a joke. And I never thought I'd say that. Back in the day he was the greatest in many ways. Now.....it's like WTF happened to him. He's more of a fat/bloated has been typical '80's hair band singer. The hat hides the baldness, the voice gone, 3 chins and a gut. It's too bad to.

During the 12 minute interview (if you can call it that) he did look a little botox smooth, his eye's were moving, just.. or he was just overloaded with TV make up. He gave the impression he could last 12 minutes max, provided it was all about tree's, being a santa like figure to the kids, giving free tickets to audience, and free burgers! ..it was like some sort of like me love me exercise. He didn't really touch on anything 'music'. He seems so wrapped up in ego, he'd have trouble ever attempting to escape it..

Edited by vaida

He is irrelevant in an artistic sense. People are more interested in his tantrums, Botox, bald spot, lateness and reclusive lifestyle.

Axl has become a joke. And I never thought I'd say that. Back in the day he was the greatest in many ways. Now.....it's like WTF happened to him. He's more of a fat/bloated has been typical '80's hair band singer. The hat hides the baldness, the voice gone, 3 chins and a gut. It's too bad to.

It's not his fault he got old you idiot.

Baldness aside (which I don't think happened), everything else just points to not taking care of yourself. It's not age. You don't automatically gain weight when you get older for example.

Did it ever occur to you that the so called haters are happy to see Axl being productive because as fans they want to see him do well for himself? You can be critical of him and still be a fan at the end of the day.

This is so very true. Bottom line is because as fans, we do care deeply for Axl Rose and GNR and want them to succeed. If we didn't give a shit, we wouldn't bitch so much.

Did it ever occur to you that the so called haters are happy to see Axl being productive because as fans they want to see him do well for himself? You can be critical of him and still be a fan at the end of the day.

Well, duh. He's Axl Rose. It's amazing 20 years on, the GN'R brand is more prone to controversy/hyperbole than Aerosmith, or Zep. Axl's always had the potential to recoup his '90s momentum. But he simply doesn't do it. Release a stand-alone single, video, play the lame talk show route. Probably get 500k buys in iTunes.

Guest RonMexico82

Anyway, I'm not sure "relevancy" is all that it is cracked up to be these days. If you are talking about "pop" music then I'd say thank god he is not relevant because it is mostly sheer garbage these day.

I think there is a place for Axl to occupy, the public at large would probably appreciate him being out there more as the last of a dying breed. With a good PR man, Axl could be actually loved without having to compromise much. Unfortunately he tends to do things, small things, that blow up in his face and fuel the hate.

I mean the timekeeping thing is one such issue that is quite clear is unlikely to change and yet it continues to majorly piss people off.

Axl won't be on time. The public hates that. So they always give him shit for it,

I think overall if he was more professional, as is expected these days, and stops fueling his reputation as a diva, then his life would probably be a whole lot easier.

Anyway, I'm not sure "relevancy" is all that it is cracked up to be these days. If you are talking about "pop" music then I'd say thank god he is not relevant because it is mostly sheer garbage these day.

I think there is a place for Axl to occupy, the public at large would probably appreciate him being out there more as the last of a dying breed. With a good PR man, Axl could be actually loved without having to compromise much. Unfortunately he tends to do things, small things, that blow up in his face and fuel the hate.

I mean the timekeeping thing is one such issue that is quite clear is unlikely to change and yet it continues to majorly piss people off.

Axl won't be on time. The public hates that. So they always give him shit for it,

I think overall if he was more professional, as is expected these days, and stops fueling his reputation as a diva, then his life would probably be a whole lot easier.

With the exception of coming out late, he is more professional than most of his peers, and certainly plays longer.

In the general scheme of things I don't think Axl is irrelevant, I think CD is. The general public couldn't care less about it, but many people are still curious about Axl. I've been speaking to people of the 35+ age group lately who I know are not avid GNR fans but when I ask them if they like or dislike GNR they all say that they loved them (or at least were really into them) back in their glory days. They were a BIG deal back in those days and it really doesn't matter what they've done since UYI because the majority of people (not big fans like us) just want to re-live AFD & UYI. Every big band has its golden era and nothing they do outside of that golden era really matters all that much.

In the general scheme of things I don't think Axl is irrelevant, I think CD is. The general public couldn't care less about it, but many people are still curious about Axl. I've been speaking to people of the 35+ age group lately who I know are not avid GNR fans but when I ask them if they like or dislike GNR they all say that they loved them (or at least were really into them) back in their glory days. They were a BIG deal back in those days and it really doesn't matter what they've done since UYI because the majority of people (not big fans like us) just want to re-live AFD & UYI. Every big band has its golden era and nothing they do outside of that golden era really matters all that much.

Spot on. But that's interest, not relevance.

But as a musical force, I don't think Axl is that relevant at all. As a person, yes. There's public interest because he's still sort of... mysterious I guess. Maybe even some leftover danger from the glory days. People are drawn to that.

But in terms of musical relevence - if you have produced 1 album over the past 20 years that was poorly received and had no staying power you aren't relevant.

Spot on. But that's interest, not relevance.

But as a musical force, I don't think Axl is that relevant at all. As a person, yes. There's public interest because he's still sort of... mysterious I guess. Maybe even some leftover danger from the glory days. People are drawn to that.

But in terms of musical relevence - if you have produced 1 album over the past 20 years that was poorly received and had no staying power you aren't relevant.

We'll have to see how future projects get promoted. I think with Trent Reznor caving in to "the man", maybe it's a sign that record company and artist relationships might be improving in coming years.

The days of Axl pissing away money on session time is over,but they could record the entire album on tour buses, hotel rooms, and in The Joint.

No one really knows how successful new GNR music is going to be. Hopefully he gets calls to contribute to soundtracks and benefit albums, and we'll start getting some new stuff from them.

I don't think there's a "reliving" when it comes to GNR, except for people who grew up with them at the time. A lot of elder statesmen of rock n' roll don't attract people in their age bracket all that much, unless that style of music's dated and people want to go for nostalgia purposes. I know The Rascals reunited for the first time in 40 years, but is that appealing to people in their 20s & 30s? Not sure. That's when you start seeing concerts like that pop up on PBS pledge drives.

Unless Axl's sick as a dog, if he's going on late, the shows tend to go longer.

Kimmel doesn't have a high rated talk show, but the audience would be of the age that saw GNR back in the day. I just thought it was cool that Kimmel's location was perfect, in the heart of Hollywood. Axl prob. should've been on during the UCAP shows and closed the streets down, but this was cool.

Totally agree. I think the whole lateness thing has been blown out of proportion. People have learnt to accepct it, expect it, and still love Axl Anyways. I assume most of you saw the Jimmy Kimmel live interview, its all a joke now. Axl does it out of love anyways , because he wants to give his fans his best performance, and it worked, people never left the shows disappointed as they will always say.

http://rocknewsdesk....lways-late/515/

Axl has always been his own man and shows love in his own way, thats why once he shows up, he gives it his all, and stays on for two to three hours, which is longer than any other. He has been so misunderstood thanks to media slander, his loving nature has often been overlooked, and he REALLY cares for his fans

Edited by truadmirer

Totally agree. I think the whole lateness thing has been blown out of proportion. People have learnt to accepct it, expect it, and still love Axl Anyways.

Reality has already disproved this.

I assume most of you saw the Jimmy Kimmel live interview, its all a joke now. Axl does it out of love anyways , because he wants to give his fans his best performance, and it worked, people never left the shows disappointed as they will always say..

I'm starting to see that reality isn't really your thing.

Axl has always been his own man and shows love in his own way, thats why once he shows up, he gives it his all, and stays on for two to three hours, which is longer than any other. He has been so misunderstood thanks to media slander, his loving nature has often been overlooked, and he REALLY cares for his fans

And now I'm certain that you live somewhere outside reality.

By the way - anything over 2 hours might be above average, try to go see Bruce Springsteen or Leonard Cohen for instance. You'll soon find that GnR is far from "longer than any other".

Seriously, I don't mean to rip you a new one or anything, but your post seems overly optimistic to say the very least.

• 2 weeks later...