How many times was Guns n Roses late for a gig this year? Do any intrepid GnR statisticians happen to know?

saber_

A well-known longstanding joke about Axl & Guns is the perpetual lateness arriving on stage for gigs. A few months ago, Axl n' Jimmy Kimmel joked about the timeliness issue several times during the interview (including at one point Kimmel produced a framed quote from Oscar Wilde, which Axl has in his home ("Punctuality is the Thief of Time")). In regard to being late, Axl told Kimmel that "We've been doing a lot better lately."

Since it's the end of the year, I thought it might be interesting to run the numbers on this topic and see if Axl's right: How many times was Guns n Roses late for a gig this year? Do any intrepid GnR statisticians happen to know?

seems like it hasn't been so much of an issue. certainly no riots, or near riots, or other weird disputes. and no cancellations either. that's been a pretty remarkable change over the last several years. axl said he's been happier lately, and i believe it. probably has a lot to do with the burden of chinese democracy being lifted. i wonder if that's why he doesn't seem particularly driven to completely the trilogy. or quadrilogy. or however many hours of outtakes they had.

seems like it hasn't been so much of an issue. certainly no riots, or near riots, or other weird disputes. and no cancellations either. that's been a pretty remarkable change over the last several years. axl said he's been happier lately, and i believe it. probably has a lot to do with the burden of chinese democracy being lifted. i wonder if that's why he doesn't seem particularly driven to completely the trilogy. or quadrilogy. or however many hours of outtakes they had.

It's not just outtakes, it's the second half of Chinese Democracy plus more material. Axl said in 2006 that they had 32 songs, and 26 of those were done.

He also said he viewed Chinese as a double album. There are at least 18 unreleased songs.

It's not just outtakes, it's the second half of Chinese Democracy plus more material. Axl said in 2006 that they had 32 songs, and 26 of those were done.

He also said he viewed Chinese as a double album. There are at least 18 unreleased songs.

Don't even bother. HRS is one of those forever glass-half-empty types. His subconscious can't help it.

On topic:

If the data proves that Guns n Roses was more punctual this year, then there's a sliver of a chance they might be a little more johnny-on-the-spot with working on a future GnR release. Ok call me crazy (aka glass-half-full).

oh, i have no doubt that at the time he was furiously scribbling lyrics about how pissed he was at stephanie seymour and slash, he fully intended it to be a double album. or a triple album. but hopefully he's in a different place now. he seems happier. shows aren't getting canceled. late starts are down, it seems. he's playing ball with promotional stuff. maybe he's finally ready to get over chinese democracy. i hope so. i personally never was too into chinese democracy, either the musical direction or the lyrical ethos of the project. i'm more interested in who axl is now than who he was pissed off at 15 years ago.

oh, i have no doubt that at the time he was furiously scribbling lyrics about how pissed he was at stephanie seymour and slash, he fully intended it to be a double album. or a triple album. but hopefully he's in a different place now. he seems happier. shows aren't getting canceled. late starts are down, it seems. he's playing ball with promotional stuff. maybe he's finally ready to get over chinese democracy. i hope so. i personally never was too into chinese democracy, either the musical direction or the lyrical ethos of the project. i'm more interested in who axl is now than who he was pissed off at 15 years ago.

It's not that he just intended it on being a double album, cause after Chinese was released he made that remark on him viewing it as a double. I think that means the other half is finished.

Seems like you're out of luck on that one cause he also said it's going to be the same players (Bucket,Robin, and maybe Bumble)

and that if you didn't like Chinese, you probably won't like the next release.

yeah, that's why i'd personally rather see him record some new stuff with the new guys. it'd probably be more up my alley musically, considering their influences and styles. also, i think axl's in a different place emotionally now, so i think his lyrics would reflect that. i think the current band could make a more upbeat, fun, aggressive collection of songs. with the exception of his voice, axl's been kicking ass lately. to me, chinese democracy is kind of a concept album about getting your ass kicked. so i'd personally be more interested in what he'd be capable of making today.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

yeah, that's why i'd personally rather see him record some new stuff with the new guys. it'd probably be more up my alley musically, considering their influences and styles. also, i think axl's in a different place emotionally now, so i think his lyrics would reflect that. i think the current band could make a more upbeat, fun, aggressive collection of songs. with the exception of his voice, axl's been kicking ass lately. to me, chinese democracy is kind of a concept album about getting your ass kicked. so i'd personally be more interested in what he'd be capable of making today.

While I disagree on the way you view Chinese Democracy, I can see where you're coming from, and why you'd prefer a different direction.

So... anyone wanna take a guess at how many times Guns was late this year? If no one has kept track, I'll tally the stats for this year eventually. Until then, would anyone care to speculate?

Honestly, I think if anyone would know, it would be Soul Monster.

Edit: I'm curious about this too.

Cool, I hope Soul Monster chimes in. Thanks for staying on topic, btw. I appreciate it.

So... anyone wanna take a guess at how many times Guns was late this year? If no one has kept track, I'll tally the stats for this year eventually. Until then, would anyone care to speculate?

Honestly, I think if anyone would know, it would be Soul Monster.

Edit: I'm curious about this too.

Cool, I hope Soul Monster chimes in. Thanks for staying on topic, btw. I appreciate it.

defining late is hard, there is rarely a GNR start time on a ticket. Having said that you can try to get an idea by them going on the stage after midnight (which is actually the day after the show date)

What is late? If (for arguments sake) we say over an hour past last warm up act....I'll guess 85% of time. Over 1.5 hrs after last warm up- 10% and over 2 hrs late say 5%. Just my guess. And by Axl saying "we've been doing alot better lately"....doesn't he mean "I've been"?...... Good topic....be curious to know actual stats....

Edited by Snowmass

I saw them in Seattle and I believe they took the stage within an hour after Loaded was finished.

That woulda been great to see Duff (I saw VR in a small Mpls club...was epic for me to see Slash n Duff together again after 20 or so yrs but I digress)....I saw Axl in Mpls last yr and if say roughly an hour late (it was tolerable) but imagine if he came on at a normal time (when venues still sold beer....and people were not half asleep)!

I saw them in Seattle and I believe they took the stage within an hour after Loaded was finished.

That woulda been great to see Duff (I saw VR in a small Mpls club...was epic for me to see Slash n Duff together again after 20 or so yrs but I digress)....I saw Axl in Mpls last yr and if say roughly an hour late (it was tolerable) but imagine if he came on at a normal time (when venues still sold beer....and people were not half asleep)!

I'm guessing half the crowd left by the end of the show. Ticket said show started at 8......Loaded didnt start until 9 and played an hour....then an hour wait and then GnR played three hours......so somebody getting to the venue an hour early.....that is a 7 hour stretch.

Axl and the band were on fire. But like I said, half the crowd was gone by the end. I suppose if it is your first concert or first time seeing GnR you would love a five hour concert! But if u have seen a lot of concerts, and have seen GnR before, there does come a time late night when u start hoping they skip Heavens Door and that they would rotate solos and jams between shows. Some people will call me a hater for saying that.....but there is a reason that so many people leave before the end. I never would, but thousands do.

A well-known longstanding joke about Axl & Guns is the perpetual lateness arriving on stage for gigs. A few months ago, Axl n' Jimmy Kimmel joked about the timeliness issue several times during the interview (including at one point Kimmel produced a framed quote from Oscar Wilde, which Axl has in his home ("Punctuality is the Thief of Time")). In regard to being late, Axl told Kimmel that "We've been doing a lot better lately."

Since it's the end of the year, I thought it might be interesting to run the numbers on this topic and see if Axl's right: How many times was Guns n Roses late for a gig this year? Do any intrepid GnR statisticians happen to know?

UCAP show in Orlando didn't start until around 12:15 AM but they played over 3 hours. If I remember correctly the openner was done for over 2 hours before guns came on.

First of all, what do you define as late??

Are you talking about the band guns n roses or axl in general??

or hissy fits from the bass player?