The "But they get played in arenas!" argument

bacardimayne

Now I'm not disputing that the songs on AFD are timeless, but I think it's really stupid how the go-to argument to prove their relevance is that they're still played in sports stadiums to this day. You know what else gets played at sports games? Cotton Eyed Joe.

The reason the AFD songs get played in arenas is because they're good hype-up songs, not because they're timeless classics that will forever be remembered as landmarks in music history.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

inb4insecureslashfansaccusemeofdisputingthatthesongsonafdaretimelessclassicsdespitetheveryfirstsentenceinthispostsayingotherwise

tl;dr getting played at arenas doesn't mean shit and people need to stop acting like it does

Edited by bacardimayne

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Though the immense popularity of the AFD album dictates that it *will* be remembered and marked up in the annals of rock history. How long will this history endure and be relevant, well sadly, maybe not that long...

... but yeah, you are right on the money with the sports stadium thing. people who think music that gets played as the backing track of sports events is relevant in anyway don't understand much about anything.

Slight edit and you make absolute sense...

'''The reason the AFD songs get played in arenas is because they're timeless classics that will forever be remembered as landmarks in music history, not because they're good hype-up songs''.

so Skrillex songs are timeless classics that will be remembered as landmarks in music history?

Now I'm not disputing that the songs on AFD are timeless, but I think it's really stupid how the go-to argument to prove their relevance is that they're still played in sports stadiums to this day. You know what else gets played at sports games? Cotton Eyed Joe.

The reason the AFD songs get played in arenas is because they're good hype-up songs, not because they're timeless classics that will forever be remembered as landmarks in music history.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

inb4insecureslashfansaccusemeofdisputingthatthesongsonafdaretimelessclassicsdespitetheveryfirstsentenceinthispostsayingotherwise

tl;dr getting played at arenas doesn't mean shit and people need to stop acting like it does

What arena do you go to that plays Cotton Eyed Joe?? And what kind of sporting event is it? A dog trick show?? :blink:

I am not going to apoligise for regarding Appetite songs as ''timeless classics that will forever be remembered as landmarks in music history''.

That's right. Cause someone asked you to apologize for that. WTF? This discussion has nothing to do with how you regard the songs. Your comment was about WHY the songs are played at stadiums.

GNR are more relevant because they DON'T play arenas.

Is that better?

Read the thread again and see if your comment addresses anything anyone said.

Edited by magisme

it's really stupid how the go-to argument to prove their relevance is that they're still played in sports stadiums to this day.

In 5 years, 30 year old songs will still be played at sporting events and on radio. That's pretty relevant.

CD isn't played in arenas so surely it must be more relevant. Nah.

Cotton Eyed Joe is more relevant to a wider audience than CD. Even Macarena.

it's really stupid how the go-to argument to prove their relevance is that they're still played in sports stadiums to this day.

In 5 years, 30 year old songs will still be played at sporting events and on radio. That's pretty relevant.

Who are you talking to? Do I need to call an ambulance?

I quoted the OP, smart guy. The basis for the topic. Perhaps you should call a tutor.

'''The reason the AFD songs get played in arenas is because they're timeless classics that will forever be remembered as landmarks in music history, not because they're good hype-up songs''.

so Skrillex songs are timeless classics that will be remembered as landmarks in music history?

Skrillex may be complete garbage to you but yeah, his intial assault unto the world had such an impact that most likely, his music, impact and phenomenom should be, and probably will be, remembered as a landmark thing. watch the kids of today go completely apeshit to his stuff on youtube and think for a second.

So dumb

It is not dumb....It is so true.......

Edited by classicrawker

I quoted the OP, smart guy. The basis for the topic. Perhaps you should call a tutor.

Quote the OP all you want. Your "responses" have nothing to do with it. BTW, I teach reading comprehension. Want a lesson?

Put your little bullet away, Barney.

The point of the topic and the poster is to discredit the music being played in Arenas as a source of relevancy. You should teach yourself and other so called GNR fans that relevance to popular culture is defined by exposure in popular culture. But you can't seem to grasp it.

AFD and that groups product = still relevant

CD and this groups product = not relevant

OH look. The persistent nuGNR defender is trying to claim he isn't talking about nuGNR in the supposed nuGNR section.

What argument would that be, guy?

I'll leave it alone then.

It would probably be wise for ya to. Apparently you idiots think everyone resets their memory every morning and forgets the motives of certain posters around here.

OH look. The persistent nuGNR defender is trying to claim he isn't talking about nuGNR in the supposed nuGNR section.

What argument would that be, guy?

I'll leave it alone then.

It would probably be wise for ya to. Apparently you idiots think everyone resets their memory every morning and forgets the motives of certain posters around here.

Off your rocker, bro

And you should know I love AFD and UYI and think CD sucks. That probably blows your "mind."

Arenas or not, WTTJ and SCOM are timeless classics simply because they get played everywhere even to this day. On the radio, VH1, MTV, commercials, in new movies, at parties, at pubs and bars, at a live venue etc. Those songs stood the test of time along with songs like Billy Jean, Stairway to heaven, Dream on, Careless Whisper, Purple Rain, etc. Getting played at arenas only promotes how timeless those songs are.

Off your rocker, bro

And you should know I love AFD and UYI and think CD sucks. That probably blows your "mind."

Honestly, I don't care what you like or dislike. You're not a blip on the radar regarding my point. You're the one trying to act like the OP's point was your point.

32 posts. What's your main?