The "But they get played in arenas!" argument

bacardimayne

I doubt Skrillex will be played in arena's 25 years after its debut.

Why does jungle get played in arenas? it's one of the most iconic pump songs there is, and its a damn good riff. Axl's siren vocals only add to that element. I think it might still be played in arenas in another 25 years.

The same goes for SCOM at bars. Damn Good songs, and Damn Good hype songs.

Edited by jimb0

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does jungle get played in arenas? it's one of the most iconic pump songs there is, and its a damn good riff. Axl's siren vocals only add to that element. I think it might still be played in arenas in another 25 years.

Here is someone who "gets it"...........

OH look. The persistent nuGNR defender is trying to claim he isn't talking about nuGNR in the supposed nuGNR section.

But... I'm not? I mean, really? Is that the best you can come up with to justify changing the subject to something completely unrelated?

Also, I'm a big advocate for equal-opportunity GNR rights in the main section.

Edited by bacardimayne

If a song has a great intro, it will get played in arenas.

Is Give It Away the best song off of Blood Sugar Sex Magic? No, but when it comes to bumper music and arenas, they manage to put it out there.

Rush Limbaugh's theme is a Pretenders song (good trivia question is the name of that song), Chrissie Hynde tried to get him to stop playing it, but they agreed for him to donate to ASPCA or something like that.

Is Rock and Roll Part II a classic? Yes. Does anyone give a shit who created it? No.

Do people know "Who Are You" that prob. aren't Who fans? Yep.

It's not really an argument that they get played in arenas, any more than some old team's rally song from the 70s or 80s gets dragged out when they make the playoffs, or "God Bless the USA" still gets played when they show something military related.

Billy Joel has zero relevancy and hasn't put new music out in 20 years, yet he fills stadiums in the northeast. Springsteen prob. has more #1 albums in his later years than he did in his prime.

WTTJ, Crazy Train, We Will Rock You , etc - they're just songs everybody knows, and after a few drinks with a stadium full of people, they get into it. I know soccer have their rally songs, too but some of you prob. know the "hits" really well.

Sinatra's been taking a dirt nap since the 90s, yet he seems more popular now than when he was alive. Explain that one...

You continued the topic from other arguments. It's in your topic title. You've consistently tried to make arguments in Attitude that downplay the old band to make the current era look more relevant. Throwing some sugar on your points in this section doesn't erase peoples' memories.

Again, what argument are you referring to?

The same old MYGNR argument of how the original band are more relevant than the new.

You continued the topic from other arguments. It's in your topic title. You've consistently tried to make arguments in Attitude that downplay the old band to make the current era look more relevant. Throwing some sugar on your points in this section doesn't erase peoples' memories.

Again, what argument are you referring to?

The same old MYGNR argument of how the original band are more relevant than the new.

I have said or implied absolutely NOTHING about the current band in this topic, or in any argument from which this topic stems. I have never claimed that the new band is more relevant than the old was or is, that's insane. I've said Slash and his work today are irrelevant, but not the music of the classic era of GNR. Really, it's amazing how paranoid you are that every single one of my posts is a camouflaged propaganda attempt to make the new band look better than the old one. I don't even like the new band that much anymore.

I made this thread in response to people who argue that the songs from AFD are still relevant in the modern world simply because they get played in stadiums. Not a specific argument that I was reading, just something I was thinking about. It's only your paranoid mind that's decided to associate that with NuGNR.

Basically, my point in this thread (which I'm aware shouldn't be a thread but I really couldn't give more than 0.1% of a fuck) is that there may be plenty of reasons why the old music is relevant, but being played before hockey games is not one of them.

Yet you made fine print expecting it to become an old versus new argument. In YOUR mind you knew what this would escalate to because this is just an extension of that same argument.

Now stop trying to dodge the issue.

Yeah, I made that fine print because I knew you or some other idiot would come in here and derail my thread into more old vs. nu shit.

Oh look, I was right.

PS. The new band isn't mentioned in my fine print.

Edited by bacardimayne

inb4 insecure slash fans accuse me of disputing that the songs on afd are timeless classics despite the very first sentence in this post saying otherwise

You expected it because it's your norm in the nu versus old argument.

Edited by Rustycage

inb4 insecure slash fans accuse me of disputing that the songs on afd are timeless classics despite the very first sentence in this post saying otherwise

You expected it because it's your norm.

I expected it because at this point I'm used to my threads about the old band being derailed into the same old shit thanks to people like you.

You realize AFD is my favorite GNR album, right?

You realize I've made multiple posts talking about how much I love the album, particularly Slash and Izzy's work on it, right?

Then stop making the stupid arguments in the new versus old discussions with your concluding "lols" if you don't want people attributing you to those posts. You can't have it both ways, cupcake.

So I can't have opinions about one thing while having a different opinion about a different thing? Why not?

if you can find a post I've made in recent times where I state that I dislike the old band or think the new band is better/more relevant, I'll take back everything I've said.

(Single songs or posts focused towards single members and not the band as a collective unit don't count)

Edited by bacardimayne

I don't need you to take anything back. You already know what I am talking about. You downplay the relevance of the old band in the "argument" all of the time.

Anyways, as stated earlier, relevance in popular culture is related to exposure in popular culture. Sporting events qualify. Nearly everything you hear in those situations is a timeless classic regardless if you really like the song.

I don't need you to take anything back. You already know what I am talking about. You downplay the relevance of the old band in the "argument" all of the time.

Anyways, as stated earlier, relevance in popular culture is related to exposure in popular culture. Sporting events qualify. Nearly everything you hear in those situations is a timeless classic regardless if you really like the song.

You claim I do this so often and yet you're not willing to find even one example? :\

That simply is not true. I hear plenty of songs at hockey games that I only know because of the fact that they're played at hockey games. Not saying this is the case with the GNR songs, but arena songs are hardly an exclusive club of timeless classics.

Edited by bacardimayne

I am not going to apoligise for regarding Appetite songs as ''timeless classics that will forever be remembered as landmarks in music history''.

That's right. Cause someone asked you to apologize for that. WTF? This discussion has nothing to do with how you regard the songs. Your comment was about WHY the songs are played at stadiums.

Because, ehh, they are ''timeless classics that will forever be remembered as landmarks in music history''.

So when you label old members of the band as dick suckers and claim none in current gnr are, what does that say about you?

Hockey isn't really popular culture. lol When the Stanley Cup comes around, there are dozens of other shows with better ratings at the time.

So when you label old members of the band as dick suckers and claim none in current gnr are, what does that say about you?

Adler is known to have sucked a dick. What of it?

Hockey isn't really popular culture. lol When the Stanley Cup comes around, there are dozens of other shows with better ratings at the time.

Fair enough, but it's the only sport I watch enough to notice what songs are playing on the PA. And I imagine the arenas that are shared by basketball teams have the same playlists, no?

Edit: Misread a quote.

Adler is known to have sucked a dick. What of it?

Fair enough, but it's the only sport I watch enough to notice what songs are playing on the PA. And I imagine the arenas that are shared by basketball teams have the same playlists, no?

I see you more as an Anti-Slash poster that takes away old band accomplishments just to state that opinion.

WTTJ is played several times of every game in the most popular sport in GNR's home country. That's relevance.