2010 vs 2012

trqster

During Dont Cry at one of the Russian shows, Axl talks about some Russian guys asking him why he doesn't sing dont cry anymore with the same powerful rasp like he use too... Axl said he had no idea why he couldnt but then proceeded to sing the end of the song with some pretty good rasp.

That's kind of huge. Any idea which show? Is there a video/bootleg?

At Saint-Petersburg, June 6, 2010. It was the first time he sang Don't Cry during that tour and it was absolutely awesome! We got no story, but nonetheless an amazing performance. He told the story in Dublin 2 years later as you've already found out.

And I have an audio bootleg of the show too. So if you need it, tell me and I'll upload it somewhere.

Edited by Scumcat Esq.

I still think 2010 was meant to be the last tour ever. To go out with a bang.

He has to save his voice now, that's why the rasp is limited.

What makes you think that? Axl is only 50, a lot of bands preform into their upper 60s and even into their 70s. I doubt Axl would quit anytime soon, as that would mean in a way that he was giving up on GnR and more or less declaring Slash the winner....

During Dont Cry at one of the Russian shows, Axl talks about some Russian guys asking him why he doesn't sing dont cry anymore with the same powerful rasp like he use too... Axl said he had no idea why he couldnt but then proceeded to sing the end of the song with some pretty good rasp.

I think it's not from Russia, but Dublin:

Yep that is what I was referring to. I thought it was huge as well... at the time I thought it woudl go viral on the message boards but I guess it was overlooked

There is no doubt 2009/ 2010 Axl's voice was on fire... I wish I knew what happened from Abu Dubai to Rio. Rio seemed like Axl sat on his ass and did nothing prior to the show and hoped to just show up and be OK. To me when comparing the years take YCBM from 2010 and YCBM from anytime since 2011 and you'll notice a HUGE difference when it comes to rasp, same for RQ or PC. Songs like Jungle always seem to sound good.

During Dont Cry at one of the Russian shows, Axl talks about some Russian guys asking him why he doesn't sing dont cry anymore with the same powerful rasp like he use too... Axl said he had no idea why he couldnt but then proceeded to sing the end of the song with some pretty good rasp. IMO there is no doubt Axl is not in tip top shape and IMO at the Vegas shows it looked like he his physique was heading south again. Im not saying the guys is still not a great performer but he could do a better job of staying in shape. does that effect his voice, I have no idea. he may need to get back with a vocal coach to get things back in order.

All in all he still sounds good live and people seem to enjoy the shows, so I guess thats all that matters.

I tend to agree wtih this. Though I don't know if he's generally doing more (or less) to get out of shape than when he used to be younger, I mean he was always as far as I have seen drinking and smoking. I think it's age and a continuance of the rock and roll lifestyle.

The shows immediately after the vegas ones were great, and the vegas shows practically forced them to be out there practicing every other night.

You have to remember that in 2009-2010 Axl was motivated by the album failing. He called 2008 the worst year of his life.

He probably had a lot to prove to himself.

I would like to believe that Axl isnt mailing it in every night. Although it seems to be there when he wants it there. I cant understand why they chose the O2 show to put on pladia. Cool show w/ Izzy and all but not one of Axl's best vocal performance.

I think it's not from Russia, but Dublin:

Yep that is what I was referring to. I thought it was huge as well... at the time I thought it woudl go viral on the message boards but I guess it was overlooked

I think he means how at the end theres the extended "Cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" in the older versions and in the studio ones.