Axl demands Hard Rock Hotel to remove Bucket's guitar from display

mcmurray

Some people seem to have trouble understanding that these displays were there long before Axl decided to play the venue.

Do you think if The Rolling Stones played there that any memorabilia relating to Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman would be removed?

Yeah, thought not.

I understand that apparently the Buckethead display was at a different Hard Rock, not locked away in Vegas.

Nonetheless, I understand the display of Slash's memorabilia, may have been there before the residency, but don't see how that changes the fact that he is a former member of the band, not a current member. If the emphasis is on the current band and promoting that lineup, which it was during the residency, then it makes sense to leave no questions, no opportunity for confusion as to the band's current lineup vs. a past lineup.

I have no idea what the Rolling Stones would do and I doubt anyone on this message board can speak on their behalf.

Ali

It must be incredibly frustrating for Axl that people are still unsure as to whether Slash is still in the band and that they don't know the current lineup despite his public denouncement of Slash as a cancer and all the work he has done to establish this band in their own right, free from the shadow of the guy who should never have been in the band, as Axl claims.

Only Axl can speak to how frustrated he is or isn't.

One thing is for sure, there was a concerted effort to promote the current lineup at the Hard Rock during the residency, complete with a full band picture with their names below each of the band members on the elevator doors. I'm sure the people who were at the venue and/or attended the shows are aware now of who is in the band if they were not before.

Ali

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt Axl personally toured the displays- don't you think that he has better things to do? Like getting his ginger man-muff waxed?

If anyone's going to assume anything, about an unconfirmed rumor, assume that the Hard Rock chose to remove the Slash display.

There are a myriad of reasons why they may have choosen to do so.

"False Advertising" maybe one reason... Like it or not, Slash and Axl's images are branded together for eternity as GnR.

And there are little baby GnR fans out there who are still learning. And there are "Greatest Hits Fans", who may have lives and not give a shit about who's in a band,

and go to a show not really knowing.... not everyone is as extemly awesome as those of us who skulk forums for fun.

And then there is Axl being Axl... Axl has always been Axl, and people always have handled him with kid gloves ("Baaa. Hold still....").

This never has changed, why do people still expect him to act any differently? Too many people have been condoning his behavior for too long. He doesn't have to change.

And Slash is a dick anyways....

Axl said it didn't happen and called Madison a 'lying cunt'. It did happen and Axl was caught lying - not the first time I might add.

That's not true. Axl said, "I've never asked for anyone's shirt bein' thrown out of anywhere".

That means that he never asked for the t-shirt ban, not that it never happened at all. There's a difference.

Ali

From another forum;

Nothing major here just a little info. I work in Las Vegas several times a month and I kept hearing that one of Buckets guitars( blue ESP?) are on display at the hard rock hotel. I went to go check it out in November and couldnt find it. I had some time so I tracked down the lady in charge of which guitars were displayed( her title is curator). She informed me that GNR had a month long engagement playing shows at the hotel and that prior to that Axl inspected the displays and had them remove any displays he objected to. Included were a Buckethead guitar and bucket, along with a life size Slash display in the entry of the hotel. Both were now in storage.

My respect for the man just hit an all time low.

If it's true, i can imagine, that axl wants the public to focus on the current members of gnr and not on former ones.

i think, that's fair to the new members and definitely no big deal.

Does anyone know a band, that promotes themselves with former members ?

It is fair to try to erase the past of the two versions of the band who actually created all the music Axl will play in the concerts at the Hard Rock? and I don't see Axl doing much promoting of the new members so I think your grasping here

From another forum;

Nothing major here just a little info. I work in Las Vegas several times a month and I kept hearing that one of Buckets guitars( blue ESP?) are on display at the hard rock hotel. I went to go check it out in November and couldnt find it. I had some time so I tracked down the lady in charge of which guitars were displayed( her title is curator). She informed me that GNR had a month long engagement playing shows at the hotel and that prior to that Axl inspected the displays and had them remove any displays he objected to. Included were a Buckethead guitar and bucket, along with a life size Slash display in the entry of the hotel. Both were now in storage.

My respect for the man just hit an all time low.

If it's true, i can imagine, that axl wants the public to focus on the current members of gnr and not on former ones.

i think, that's fair to the new members and definitely no big deal.

Does anyone know a band, that promotes themselves with former members ?

Depends on what you mean by promoting themselves, because The Who promotes Moon and Entwhistle. Former living members?

And the Stones don't try to deny Brian Jones, Mick Taylor or Bill Wyman ever existed.........

What you see as "trying to erase" can also be seen as trying to redirect focus towards the current band membership. As far as not doing much promoting, with regards to the Vegas Residency, that is not true. Besides the elevator doors plastered with a full band photo of the current band and their names below each of their images in the picture, you had memorabilia from the current band and two t-shirts I purchased with the current band prominently displayed.

Ali

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

For a starter this is an unverified claim. Second of all, if a reality, Axl was perfectly entitled to make such an order. And I don't mean in a draconian way. Neither of those individuals represent GN'R in its current form. Why would Axl compromise an image he has been carefully developing over the past few years by touring?

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Why would that memorabilia compromise the image of the current band?

Slash left in the late 90s. Buckethead left in 2004 officially and perhaps earlier. It's well documented who comprises the current line-up. It would be different if the residency were to celebrate all the individuals associated with GN'R ever. But it wasn't, it was a concept to strategically develop the popularity of the new band and all the material.

Slash left in the late 90s. Buckethead left in 2004 officially and perhaps earlier. It's well documented who comprises the current line-up. It would be different if the residency were to celebrate all the individuals associated with GN'R ever. But it wasn't, it was a concept to strategically develop the popularity of the new band and all the material.

And this would somehow damage the develoment of the popularity of the current band to have Slash and Bucket memorabilia displayed in a place that is basically a mini RnR museum? come on really? my god Axl fans will go to any absurd length to defend his paranoid decisions even if this particular claim turns out to be false.............

I think plenty of people would say that if you want to remove any memorabilia regrading past members, stop playing old material and GNR can make it's case with it's CURRENT material only.

I wonder how well Axl would like to carry GNR without the back catalog of those members he wants everyone to forget.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I think it's a lie. But hypothetically it's defendable. Axl does not maintain positive relations either with Slash or Buckethead. Slash left GN'R and embarked on a campaign of public scrutiny against Axl's leadership/direction and Buckethead bailed from the new band at a critical point in its development pre-Lisboa/release of Chinese Democracy.

And on the material point, Axl stakes as credible a claim to it as anybody else.

It would be different if the residency were to celebrate all the individuals associated with GN'R ever.

You got caught in your own argument here. The residency was to celebrate AFD to CD and it was called 'Appetite for Democracy". Those individuals had great part to do in the making of those albums. From AFD to CD. If celebrating AFD to CD is mutually exclusive with any resemblance of past members in the hotel's show case then I don't know what to say about the organizers.

But now I see your point.

Both Slash and Buckethead fucked over poor Axl...

I think it's a lie. But hypothetically it's defendable. Axl does not maintain positive relations either with Slash or Buckethead. Slash left GN'R and embarked on a campaign of public scrutiny against Axl's leadership/direction and Buckethead bailed from the new band at a critical point in its development pre-Lisboa/release of Chinese Democracy.

And on the material point, Axl stakes as credible a claim to it as anybody else.

Come on mate there is no defense for this if it is true..it really makes Axl look bitter.....

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

You got caught in your own argument here. The residency was to celebrate AFD to CD and it was called 'Appetite for Democracy". Those individuals had great part to do in the making of those albums. From AFD to CD. If celebrating AFD to CD is mutually exclusive with any resemblance of past members in the hotel's show case then I don't know what to say about the organizers.

But now I see your point.

Both Slash and Buckethead fucked over poor Axl...

Axl views each GN'R line-up as a continuation of Guns N' Roses. Therefore Appetite to Chinese Democracy can be represented and celebrated by DJ and co. With Axl as the direct, fundamental link between each era of material. He stakes a massive claim to the creation of the classics.

And on the second point, you can view it as petty if you like. But Axl, as party to the venue, doesn't have to tolerate appearances of his personal foes in any way. That's his perogative.

Funny how you never hear these stories about other bands.

And it is never Axl's fault.

And about 10 people on this forum will defend Axl's decision - no matter what. No matter what Axl does, it is ALWAYS the right move.

Funny funny stuff.

Can you imagine anybody else pulling a stunt like that? Can you imagine Metallica playing there and telling the restaurant area to remove a Dave Mustaine picture? Or Journey playing there and forcing them to take down a Steve Perry picture and microphone? ONLY Axl and Team Brazil...........and only on a forum like this is their every move defended and praised.

Guest bellastar2355

Is it an overreaction, yes... but not that absurd

He just doesn't want the band associated with them... No big deal (If the story is true)

Axl said it didn't happen and called Madison a 'lying cunt'. It did happen and Axl was caught lying - not the first time I might add.

That's not true. Axl said, "I've never asked for anyone's shirt bein' thrown out of anywhere".

That means that he never asked for the t-shirt ban, not that it never happened at all. There's a difference.

Ali

Do you agree that it happened and has happened, post, that Axl speech? Do you believe that Axl is so insulated from this bullshit that he can carry on, completely oblivious to it? I basically do not believe Axl.

Also, wasn't there a documented incident at a concert, where Axl had a -very public - spat with a Slash crowd-member? It was 2002 I believe.

It was Rio 3 then? There is your evidence. This sort of stuff has gone on too long and has been too well documented for Axl to be oblivious to it. For it to persist, either he himself is directly culpable, or, he is given his support to those directly culpable (whether they be Del, the Brazilians or the promoters).