Did Axl use rasp too much?

Vincent Vega

One of the most common complaints I've gotten from people about GN'R, from casual music fans to hardcore rock fans alike, is actually Axl's voice. They feel he sounds like a dying cat or that he "screeches" too much and that his voice is grating and painful to listen to--and this is talking about vintage, raspy Axl. And these same people love Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin and Janis Joplin despite the singers there having very raspy voices.

Does anyone else agree Axl went a little overboard on the rasp a little bit back in the old days? Compare him with Janis Joplin or Steven Tyler or Robert Plant...All had similar, raspy voices and a bluesy sound, but mixed their rasp with their normal voice or a different voice. Axl at times will just stright rasp...Do you think he should've used his regular singing voice and blended it with his rasp, or used one of his other voices and blended it in more often?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO on the records Axl uses the exact ammount of rasp needed. Sometimes in live performances he overdid it, as often during the UYI era.

On some song clean vocals work out great, like Catcher in the Rye but on most without rasp they sound crap, like YCBM...

Without Rasp it's a dead horse....Axl's vocals are distincitive because of the rasp... imagine Brian Johnson of AC/DC without the rasp? would it be worth it? No...

Same with Axl... 1988 -1993 was the peak of his voice, it's normal, he was young in shape and had much more energy and stamina then now... we all get old no matter how hard we try to hide that. 2006 was the recovery year for the most part but there was still some work to do. 2010 was his return in 100% full shape for the most part, but it had some bad moments as well. He's back out of shape now. I don't know if it has to do with cardio or whatever, but he seems to not hold his voice for most part of the show.

It's been very inconsistent throughout the last 10 or so years, but it's normal he's 50 years old! He doesn't have the same kind of stamina he once had, and i don't mind if he continues to make a mess on the live shows as long as he keeps a fresh raspy voice in studio recordings.

I think it's acceptable if he has a bad year on live performances. What's not acceptable is to have songs on a record like Shacklers where it doesn't seem like he has re-done his vocals when he was actually half recovered in 2006. Axl should have re-done all his vocals on the album!

Without Rasp it's a dead horse....Axl's vocals are distincitive because of the rasp... imagine Brian Johnson of AC/DC without the rasp? would it be worth it? No...

Same with Axl... 1988 -1993 was the peak of his voice, it's normal, he was young in shape and had much more energy and stamina then now... we all get old no matter how hard we try to hide that. 2006 was the recovery year for the most part but there was still some work to do. 2010 was his return in 100% full shape for the most part, but it had some bad moments as well. He's back out of shape now. I don't know if it has to do with cardio or whatever, but he seems to not hold his voice for most part of the show.

It's been very inconsistent throughout the last 10 or so years, but it's normal he's 50 years old! He doesn't have the same kind of stamina he once had, and i don't mind if he continues to make a mess on the live shows as long as he keeps a fresh raspy voice in studio recordings.

I think it's acceptable if he has a bad year on live performances. What's not acceptable is to have songs on a record like Shacklers where it doesn't seem like he has re-done his vocals when he was actually half recovered in 2006. Axl should have re-done all his vocals on the album!

Agree with the most part, but mind that GnR is pretty much a nostalgia act and as such live performances are of extreme importance for the fans and to...well make money.

New music is always welcome but GnR is not really relevant in that sense any longer as seen by the much anticipated CD reception.

Although 2010 was all in all the best year for Axl's voice in the last decade or so, I actually believe that he was at his peak (nu GnR era) vocally and also in terms physical fitness by the end of 2006. He had some good and some not so good shows that year, but by the end of the year his voice was simply mind-blowing as you can see in the last show Axl did in 2006 (Izzy's was there as a guest). He even sang SCOM and NR(!!!) full of rasp. Just a quick preview...

Edited by trqster

I don't think he overused it. There are alot of shows you can look up where his voice is torn to shit (Indiana 1991, St Louis 1991 for example) on alot of songs, but I doubt it was intentional. It's just how he sounded back then.

Is it just me or did he develop some kind of accent in the 00s?

I couldn't care less about your buddies and their criticisms of Axl's voice, which is acclaimed because of 'the rasp'. What a completely retarded dicussion to have on a GN'R fan board, ask some pretentious pricks on a music critique board, this is not the place to debate the credentials of the voice associated with Axl Rose, which responsible for his fame/fortune and legion of fans who will never ever go away, even if he physically pisses on them.

Edited by NGOG

I couldn't care less about your buddies and their criticisms of Axl's voice, which is acclaimed because of 'the rasp'. What a completely retarded dicussion to have on a GN'R fan board, ask some pretentious pricks on a music critique board, this is not the place to debate the credentials of the voice associated with Axl Rose, which responsible for his fame/fortune and legion of fans who will never ever go away, even if he physically pisses on them.

This whole "you can't talk about that stuff on this forum" attitude from certain members is getting a bit tiresome and ridiculous.

It's still better than talking about what he wears, or how big his "boat" is (if you saw that thread).

He never overused it. I can't imagine him ever using "too much" rasp.

Too much rasp is like this to me...from 1m20....it really fucks up the song up to a point where it becomes almost a parody.... Axl's screeching cat voice at its best! :awesomeface:

Edited by trqster

Since this show was brought up in another thread (Inglewood 1991), I looked it up since I'd never really listened to any of the songs. My thoughts were, "Oh, Locomotive. I think I'll listen." Then, "Oh, this is what it sounds like when Axl uses too much rasp." This is awful lol....