President of the UFC Dana White mentions GNR briefly

Schnippy

I'm not trying to be a heel. I'm just not going to come on here though and pretend that I think it is awesome that Axl is content to tour his days away without releasing CD II.

It's a total heel attempt, a new gimmick, clearly. BBA's out of the picture, go for it. Axl's opening up the possibility of a Chinese Democracy II by collecting concrete evidence of the GN'R market by way of sell-out venues.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not biting Black Sabbath, I'd rather discuss it with someone who doesn't have a horse in the race.

If you don't have a "horse in the race," why are you even here? Honest question.

I appreciate the flipside: that perhaps you were a fan of the old lineup, hate the new band and want a place to discuss it and vent. Okay, but after two decades it's sort of been-there, done-that. And while you're still more than welcome to talk about it (in the reunion section and/or Attitude for more 'heated' stuff), can you understand why these sorts of topics and the responses they elicit might offend those who do still 'have a horse in this race'? Again, to clarify -- I'm not saying this is an inherently bad topic, but I don't really get where you're coming from, and just because someone is a moderator doesn't mean they are protecting the band or are going to be ignorant to your views. In fact, if you're just coming here to preach to the choir, what's the fun in that? As I said before, Black Sabbath is really not wearing any rose-tinted glasses or whatever the phrase is. Pretty sure he can handle the real talk.

The whole basis of his comment is New GNR, which is why I put it in this forum. There is no attitude in his comment, or in my initial post. It is a comment about new GNR, which is why I posted it in the D/N section.

That's fine, but these kinds of topics generally elicit 'passionate' responses from fans, so it's a matter of time til we have the all-out war of words between some of our more impassioned users. And then it becomes a question of moving the topic or removing the posts where people start flinging insults (stuff that used to be completely against the forum's rules, but we now tolerate to a degree) every direction. If it's the latter, it's supposedly censorship; the former, it's 'protecting the band.' It's kind of a damned-both-ways sort of scenario, so we just try to do the best we can. I assure you there's no censorship, agenda or bias from our side with any of this.

And again, I do believe any fans here saying they have no interest in the original lineup reforming are ultimately deluding themselves to some degree. But it's played-out.

What I mean by the horse in the race comment is, I am hesitant to talk to someone who even subconsciously hopes to become the next Jarmo, flying around the world with the band so will not even give their true opinion on the band.

I understand topics can get heated. That's where you guys come in. You can either warn people or make them magically disappear. It's up to you. As it stands, I'm not trying to be an outright idiot I just wanted people to see what someone who doesn't have any real connection with the band thought of the situation.

By the way, I like CD. I think it's a very good record. Good music is good music, it doesn't matter who writes it or plays it. There's some filler on there but some of the songs are quite good. Could new GNR do a tour where they played CD from start to finish? of course not.

Edited by Schnippy

Not in this lifetime.

I think we should adopt this as our official response to everything Dicey, Rusty, Maggie and Izzy(doesit) say?

Why are you listing me? I don't give two shits about a reunion because even then they'd only be a shell of what they were. I'd rather GNR not go down in history as a joke.

That's fine, but these kinds of topics generally elicit 'passionate' responses from fans

Preach it, brother!

Not in this lifetime.

I think we should adopt this as our official response to everything Dicey, Rusty, Maggie and Izzy(doesit) say?

I'd rather GNR not go down in history as a joke.

Axl Rose sounding like Mickey Mouse, with Slash on stage, still sounds like Mickey Mouse.

Not in this lifetime.

You don't know what you're talking about. I get it. But I'll respond anyway.

I don't think there will be a reunion. Would it be pretty cool if it happened? Sure. But it probably won't. That being said, your whole "not in this lifetime"-of-course-we-parrot-Axl schtick is a bit sad. I'm sure Axl meant it when he said it. I'm sure he means it now. But to use it as a pseudo mantra is juvenile, because it is to say that circumstances between people cannot change, that past quarrels must continue ever, that once angry, stubborn comments are made, clinging to whatever pride one believes on has precludes any possibility of maturity or growth. I ain't down with that.

Not in this lifetime.

Axl Rose sounding like Mickey Mouse, with Slash on stage, still sounds like Mickey Mouse.

It's not even entirely about Mickey Mouse. It's become a clown show with the lead guitarist trying to act like the evil man that will remain nameless. Mickey Mouse is the icing on the cake.

Forget explaining to people that you can be a GNR fan without being a fan of the current lineup. To a lot of em, Axl IS gnr.

Not in this lifetime.

I don't think there will be a reunion. Would it be pretty cool if it happened? Sure. But it probably won't. That being said, your whole "not in this lifetime"-of-course-we-parrot-Axl schtick is a bit sad. I'm sure Axl meant it when he said it. I'm sure he means it now. But to use it as a pseudo mantra is juvenile, because it is to say that circumstances between people cannot change, that past quarrels must continue ever, that once angry, stubborn comments are made, clinging to whatever pride one believes on has precludes any possibility of maturity or growth. I ain't down with that.

Don't forget to mention that Axl also made the claim, "never again" in regards to Izzy.

New GNR doesn't even deserve its own section anymore. This forum would be a thousand times better if we could all respectfully discuss all eras of the band in one section.

The section should at least be retitled as a tribute to the old days, because as long as Axl is content to be a nostalgia act with no interest in creating new music the band should be treated as such.

He has relegated these guys to tribute band status, because he has no plans to do anything but tour around on music other people created while he lines his pockets.

It is sad really, because of all the original GNR members he was the one I least expected to be content to fade into life as a nostalgia act on the festival circuit churning out the Appetite hits every night.

I always struck him as the type that would retire before allowing that to happen once he decided his days of actually trying to make new music and stand on his own were over.

Forget explaining to people that you can be a GNR fan without being a fan of the current lineup. To a lot of em, Axl IS gnr.

So if you're not a fan of the current lineup, how come you persist in coming to the post-2001 section? Most of your posts about the current band are negative. Why don't you have more posts in the classic GnR sections if you're more of a fan of those lineups?

Why do you come here, if not to cupcake? It's a legitimate question at this point. What do you contribute to the conversations about the current lineup if you're not a fan of them? Ohhhh I get it, you're here to "keep it real" and make sure us poor Axlites don't get too carried away. Got it. :jerkoff: My guess is you're still butthurt over the name thing, and that's the root of all of this.

Don't forget to mention that Axl also made the claim, "never again" in regards to Izzy.

Yeah, when did he make that claim? Just curious.

Edited by brainsaber

Not in this lifetime.

It's not even entirely about Mickey Mouse. It's become a clown show with the lead guitarist trying to act like the evil man that will remain nameless. Mickey Mouse is the icing on the cake.

Not in this lifetime.

The fact is, the people who support new GNR are people who are obsessed with Axl. They can't see past him because he fronts the band. I have no doubt that if they were into the band when the old lineup were around, they didn't even care about any of the other members but Axl. He's upfront so it's all they see. Anyone else in the band is completely irrelevant and interchangeable...... Enter the Slash hatred and love for the new band (whoever is in it this month).

So if you're not a fan of the current lineup, how come you persist in coming to the post-2001 section? Most of your posts about the current band are negative. Why don't you have more posts in the classic GnR sections if you're more of a fan of those lineups?

Why don't you come here, if not to cupcake? What do you hope to contribute to the conversations about the current lineup? Ohhhh I get it, you're here to "keep it real" and make sure us poor Axlites don't get too carried away. Got it.

He made it in a 1994 interview, "gnr fan."

I have had plenty of neutral discussions about this era of the band. You just never see them because you only flock to shit.

Because Robin, Brain and Bucket were in the post 2001 lineup. DJ, Bumblefoot and Frank are third stringers to me, but I'm still interested in hearing the rest of the music Axl made with Bucket, Robin and Brain. But yeah, I could give a fuck about an album written with Bumblefoot. Luckily, I'm 99% sure that Axl will reject any songs that Bumble comes up with anyway.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Why don't you come here, if not to cupcake? What do you hope to contribute to the conversations about the current lineup? Ohhhh I get it, you're here to "keep it real" and make sure us poor Axlites don't get too carried away. Got it.

He made it in a 1994 interview, "gnr fan."

Oh, a 1994 interview. Say, do you have any choice quotes from Slash about Izzy during the same time period? Oops.

I have had plenty of neutral discussions about this era of the band. You just never see them because you only flock to shit.

Have you now?

But ...you just said ....you're not a fan of the post 2001 lineup, so how neutral can you be? (that's a rhetorical question by the way, somethin to ponder)

Carry on carry on. I'll leave you to your "neutral" discussions. and your "neutral" photoshopped pictures of Axl making fun of him and his management.

Because Robin, Brain and Bucket were in the post 2001 lineup. DJ, Bumblefoot and Frank are third stringers to me, but I'm still interested in hearing the rest of the music Axl made with Bucket, Robin and Brain. But yeah, I could give a fuck about an album written with Bumblefoot. Luckily, I'm 99% sure that Axl will reject any songs that Bumble comes up with anyway.

I understand where you're coming from Randy. I wanna hear the remainder of the CD sessions just as much as you do.

Edited by brainsaber

Luckily, I'm 99% sure that Axl will reject any songs that Bumble comes up with anyway.

This is the only saving grace from the unfortunate fact that BBF and DJ are in the band. Axl will can any sh*t they turn in.

Hopefully we hear the rest of the Finck, bucket era stuff. BBF can remain the guy that is there to play the stuff that no other guitarist would even want to contemplate doing and DJ can remain there.......well we all know why. Top hat/Les Paul anyone?

The fact is, the people who support new GNR are people who are obsessed with Axl. They can't see past him because he fronts the band. I have no doubt that if they were into the band when the old lineup were around, they didn't even care about any of the other members but Axl. He's upfront so it's all they see. Anyone else in the band is completely irrelevant and interchangeable...... Enter the Slash hatred and love for the new band (whoever is in it this month).

Wrong. I was there in 1991 when Matt took over on drums. I was pissed off. I hated him for a long time- his timbre, his style, his poodle hair. Then I got over it and even enjoyed his contributions. Then Gilby joined the band. I hated him even more. But I got over it. Not because I loved it or supported it, but because that's the way it was. That was the reality.

I don't hate Slash. I'm glad Slash is active and releasing music. He, along with everyone else in the AFD and UYI lineups, owns a piece of the GnR sound. No piece of paper that Axl owns will ever take that away and I recognize and acknolwedge that. Slash owns a piece of the GnR name in the public consciousness and I have no problem with that.

I understand why Axl doesn't want to reunite the old band, but I can't figure out why he won't move ahead with the rest of the Chinese Democracy material.

A quandary to be sure, and something that is fair game to criticize him for, I freely admit.

I understand why Axl doesn't want to reunite the old band, but I can't figure out why he won't move ahead with the rest of the Chinese Democracy material.

This.

To bring it back to the original comment this thread is about.... this is partly why new GNR cannot be taken serious and classed as a real version of GNR. Axl has never put in an effort to establish new GNR as a force to be reckoned with. Every marquee performance they have done has not just been substandard, is has been outright embarrassing. New music? 1 album in 20 years. How about lineup changes? how many replacements have replaced the replacements? The band is in a complete shambles as well. BBF speaking out, how many times now? clearly unhappy in the band..the list goes on.

This band has not been able to grow and establish itself because of Axl's complacency and complete stubborn nature. This band could have been anything. Axl had the pick of any world class musician he wanted. What did he do? hide in his mansion for most of the past 2 decades. Then, when he had great musicians leave out of frustration gets in guys like Frank Ferrer, BBF and Ashba.........

That is why this is not the real GNR, not because Slash isn't in it.

Edited by Schnippy

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP of this thread was a former banned member or someone currently serving a suspension. Did I see someone say that Dice Man was reprimanded for something? Might be worth a quick IP check.

I think Axl would step up his performance if Slash was on stage.

Randy -

What makes you think Axl would perform better if an individual that he has chosen to not associate himself with were standing next to him on stage? Even though I'm reasonably confident that this was just a weak cupcake attempt, I'd be curious to hear your answer - in the appropriate ex-Gunners section.

Edited by BBA

Randy -

What makes you think Axl would perform better if an individual that he has chosen to not associate himself with were standing next to him on stage?

Competitive nature.

The fact that people would actually be watching? Like A lot more people.

I just don't see why some have to bury their heads in the sand so far from reality.

The overwhelming majority of the population agrees with this guy. Most want a reunion. We all know it will never happen, but the desire will always be original/classic band over nu.

His view is the general consensus. Most will always define Guns N' Roses by their heyday period, while the rest from post '93 remains insignificant in their minds. "Guns N' Roses" now in the present is seen as just a nostalgic parody of what it was. You can prefer the latter over the other (for whatever reason), but reality is reality.