Jerry Cantrell cut his hair

JKKDARK

You act as if Layne was the absolute sole contributor to AIC and no one else did anything at all with it. You're still wrong and you have no idea what you're talking about, which is painfully obvious. If it reminds you of Axl, then it shows a complete lack of knowledge on your part. Both situations are not even close to being the same.

Tell me why Cantrell can't release records under a band name that he helped build and make stronger in the 90s? Why can't he use the name of a band he put blood, sweat, and tears into? And make an argument without being a twit.

You act as if Layne was the absolute sole contributor to AIC and no one else did anything at all with it. You're still wrong and you have no idea what you're talking about, which is painfully obvious. If it reminds you of Axl, then it shows a complete lack of knowledge on your part. Both situations are not even close to being the same.

Tell me why Cantrell can't release records under a band name that he helped build and make stronger in the 90s? Why can't he use the name of a band he put blood, sweat, and tears into? And make an argument without being a twit.

this.

This guy is a disgrace. Where does he get off continuing aic without layne.... oh right he wanted to play bigger venues and not bore people with his solo stuff.

Disgusting. Even if the new stuff was good I still wouldn't listen to it.

So let me get this straight, you complaining that ONE original member died, so the band should stop. YET, you're on a forum supporting a band that only has one original member left.

Jerry does most of the singing on the Alice In Chains songs, and IMO he sings better than Layne did. I like the new AIC stuff more than the old.

Jerry wrote most of the music and a good chunk of the lyrics, so i have no problem with him continuing the banf. All that's missing is the voice, but clearly they wanted someone unique. Otherwise they would/could have just hired the Puddle of Mudd singer. If you go back and actually look at the lyrical credits, it's abiut 50/50, and imho a lot of the better written songs are Jerry songs.

I'm not acting as if layne was the sole contributor at all. He was a big contributor, the face of the band, and was largely in charge of the direction of the band though. I know the entire history of aic so don't act as if I don't know what I'm talking about. The reason he shouldn't continue with aic even though he was a contributor is respect. Layne died and it was a tragedy and clearly put a period on aics sentence. Why can't he respect that and call whatever came after a different name like when joy division became new order? New order relied on the strength of their material not the strength of an old name. Cantrell s solo stuff couldn't do that so over time he realized he should resurrect the name aic. Why couldn't he be happy releasing his solo stuff? Boggy depot was pretty good. The reason is he wanted the fame back and that's gross. The legacy of aic ending with the disturbed self titled was beautiful and showed primarily laynes disentigration that lead to his death. That was how aic ended. Now all these years later they're back in the 90s band trend (SP, soundgarden, etc). Time will show that this new aic wasn't needed and much like nu gnr, nu SP, it will be forgotten about or cringed at.

This guy is a disgrace. Where does he get off continuing aic without layne.... oh right he wanted to play bigger venues and not bore people with his solo stuff.

So let me get this straight, you complaining that ONE original member died, so the band should stop. YET, you're on a forum supporting a band that only has one original member left.

Jerry does most of the singing on the Alice In Chains songs, and IMO he sings better than Layne did. I like the new AIC stuff more than the old.

I don't support axls gnr btw. Jerry does a lot if singing and a heck of a lot if writing from the old days sure but like slash was with gnr laynes contribution, even if smaller, was a critical part of the band. Also if you like the new singer more and the new music more that's awesome but wouldn't it be cooler if it wasn't forever attached to something old you like less?

Why are some of you so obsessed with lineups is beyond me every band has gone through lineup changes it happens it`s very natural neither Guns nor AIC are first and they certainly won`t be the last as for Jerry and AIC, out of respect with Layne he should continue the band no one is disrespecting Layne he was great it will be very difficullt to fully replace him but Jerry wrote more than Layne he was catalyst of the band "he should n`t continue without Layne" argument is very weak and laughable to be honest and for the record, Jerry`s solo material is ten times better than Slash`s, Izzy`s and Duff`s combined

Edited by Dark Knight

Why are some of you so obsessed with lineups is beyond me every band has gone through lineup changes it happens it`s very natural neither Guns nor AIC are first and they certainly won`t be the last as for Jerry and AIC, out of respect with Layne he should continue the band no one is disrespecting Layne he was great it will be very difficullt to fully replace him but Jerry wrote more than Layne he was catalyst of the band "he should n`t continue without Layne" argument is very weak and laughable to be honest and for the record, Jerry`s solo material is ten times better than Slash`s, Izzy`s and Duff`s combined

I think there's a skewed perception of bands on this forum. Because most people are heavily cultured on the likes of guns n roses and other stadium giant type bands they forget that losing key members of a band is a big deal. My favourite bands all have/had stable line ups their whole careers: radiohead, pixies, nirvana, the Beatles (not talk before Ringo silly argument) for example. Aic should have went the led zeppelin route.

I don't get how losing members ISN'T a big deal to people on this board. Especially vocalists! Lol. Christ, Bonham was just a drummer and that was the right choice.

I'm not acting as if layne was the sole contributor at all. He was a big contributor, the face of the band, and was largely in charge of the direction of the band though. I know the entire history of aic so don't act as if I don't know what I'm talking about. The reason he shouldn't continue with aic even though he was a contributor is respect. Layne died and it was a tragedy and clearly put a period on aics sentence. Why can't he respect that and call whatever came after a different name like when joy division became new order? New order relied on the strength of their material not the strength of an old name. Cantrell s solo stuff couldn't do that so over time he realized he should resurrect the name aic. Why couldn't he be happy releasing his solo stuff? Boggy depot was pretty good. The reason is he wanted the fame back and that's gross. The legacy of aic ending with the disturbed self titled was beautiful and showed primarily laynes disentigration that lead to his death. That was how aic ended. Now all these years later they're back in the 90s band trend (SP, soundgarden, etc). Time will show that this new aic wasn't needed and much like nu gnr, nu SP, it will be forgotten about or cringed at.

>

I don't support axls gnr btw. Jerry does a lot if singing and a heck of a lot if writing from the old days sure but like slash was with gnr laynes contribution, even if smaller, was a critical part of the band. Also if you like the new singer more and the new music more that's awesome but wouldn't it be cooler if it wasn't forever attached to something old you like less?

You don't get it, so I shouldn't even bother. You obviously have a connection to Layne being in AIC, which is fine. That being said, just because you think his death put a period on Alice In Chains doesn't mean Cantrell sees it the same way. And really, he shouldn't have to see it that way.

Why can't Cantrell continue the band without it being automatically disrespectful to you? Is Cantrell giving interviews after all these years in which he claims Layne was a terrible part of the band and he wrote shitty songs or something? No. He isn't. Seriously, you're still acting like you know Cantrell is being disrespectful. If Jerry honestly wanted to be disrespectful, he would've continued the band right away without any recognition of what Staley did for the band. I find it quite odd that you can't accept the fact that one of the main contributors in the band has decided to take the band and keep going after years of it being inactive. The man put a lot of effort into its previous efforts, and he wants to continue to do so.

To be honest, I think the way Cantrell has handled the post-Staley era of Alice In Chains has been quite admirable. He doesn't talk about Layne's problems much, he writes music, tours quite a bit, and just does his thing with a new vocalist.

Calling Cantrell a disgrace is just unacceptable to me for a man who has put a ton of effort into a band he helped create. So yes, you're still wrong. He is a testament to how someone should approach a band after a member passes away unfortunately.

all bands go through band changes, it is really that simple. from the bands that sell out arenas to the bands that are selling out smaller venues. bands change all the time, the whole "skewed vision of bands" is utter bullshit. a key band member can leave/die and someone can be brought in and fill in just fine,

countless bands have done it, and countless bands have had huge success when losing key members, it happens. jerry has every right to continue AIC, and BGWTB is as good as anything AIC did with layne.

all bands go through band changes, it is really that simple. from the bands that sell out arenas to the bands that are selling out smaller venues. bands change all the time, the whole "skewed vision of bands" is utter bullshit. a key band member can leave/die and someone can be brought in and fill in just fine,

countless bands have done it, and countless bands have had huge success when losing key members, it happens. jerry has every right to continue AIC, and BGWTB is as good as anything AIC did with layne.

Exactly. In fact, I've heard plenty of people say that BGWTB is AIC's best. Cantrell's not doing this for name and money. They crafted a wonderful album and people are extremely excited about the next one in May.

Exactly. In fact, I've heard plenty of people say that BGWTB is AIC's best. Cantrell's not doing this for name and money. They crafted a wonderful album and people are extremely excited about the next one in May.
No way. You're lying to yourselves if you think that albums as good as anything they did with layne. I like the album. I've seen then twice.

Bands can continue without key members of the group being present. But layne had the voice of a generation. So distinct. And it's yet to b duplicated. Even when they blend it with Jerry's.

The performance with duff and Phil anselmo sounded better than Duvall IMO.

Edited by drtydane

No way. You're lying to yourselves if you think that albums as good as anything they did with layne. I like the album. I've seen then twice.

Bands can continue without key members of the group being present. But layne had the voice of a generation. So distinct. And it's yet to b duplicated. Even when they blend it with Jerry's.

no not lying to myself, it is to me as good as anything they did with layne.

I never said I thought it was better than their previous albums. I said I've heard plenty of people that have that opinion. But I will admit that it fits extraordinarily well among the likes of Facelift, Dirt, etc. I don't think Layne's voice was the only voice of a generation either. There were multiple voices of that generation: Lanegan, Cornell, Cobain, Vedder, Staley, Corgan, etc.

I think DuVall is a perfect fit for the band. He doesn't try to replace anything or anyone. Just does his thing.