Would Slash have played with Robin Finck?

Marc--

We know one of Axl and Slash's biggest fights was over who would truly replace Izzy as rhythm guitarist. Slash wanted Gilby, Axl wanted Paul Huge. In early 1997, Matt discovered Robin Finck, took Axl to see him play and suggested that he'd be perfect as the new rhythm guitarist, and then Slash could return to the fold. Axl said no, he wanted Robin to be the lead guitarist.

Do you think Slash would've been open to playing with Robin or having Robin in the band as rhythm guitarist, had Axl taken Matt's suggestion?

Maybe as rhythm guitarist? There is not much room for another lead guitarist when Slash is in the band. I know Axl tried to get Dave Navarro when Izzy left. I don't really know how that would have worked out. I know he looked the part but he would have had to let Slash do most of the leads. There was no way it was going to work with Zakk W. They would have killed each other. I think there would have been a "Better" chance that Slash would have somewhat been open to work with Robin as rhythm guitarist.

Edited by recklessroad

Maybe as rhythm guitarist? There is not much room for another lead guitarist when Slash is in the band. I know Axl tried to get Dave Navarro when Izzy left. I don't really know how that would have worked out. I know he looked the part but he would have had to let Slash do most of the leads. There was no way it was going to work with Zakk W. They would have killed each other. I think there would have been a "Better" chance that Slash would have been somewhat been open to work with Robin as rhythm guitarist.

Just a guess, but was Better one of the songs Axl would have liked Slash to play on?? Noticed you put that in quotes.

Maybe as rhythm guitarist? There is not much room for another lead guitarist when Slash is in the band. I know Axl tried to get Dave Navarro when Izzy left. I don't really know how that would have worked out. I know he looked the part but he would have had to let Slash do most of the leads. There was no way it was going to work with Zakk W. They would have killed each other. I think there would have been a "Better" chance that Slash would have somewhat been open to work with Robin as rhythm guitarist.

There's a clip of Dave and Slash playing at a Camp Freddy show together doing "Sympathy for the Devil" (of all songs).

Had you known Eric Avery, Dave Navarro, and Stephen Perkins as long as Steven Adler and Slash?

Maybe as rhythm guitarist? There is not much room for another lead guitarist when Slash is in the band. I know Axl tried to get Dave Navarro when Izzy left. I don't really know how that would have worked out. I know he looked the part but he would have had to let Slash do most of the leads. There was no way it was going to work with Zakk W. They would have killed each other. I think there would have been a "Better" chance that Slash would have been somewhat been open to work with Robin as rhythm guitarist.

Just a guess, but was Better one of the songs Axl would have liked Slash to play on?? Noticed you put that in quotes.

This

In your opinion, how come Slash refuses to share the spotlight and lead guitar playing like the current guitar players in GNR and Iron Maiden?

In your opinion, how come Slash refuses to share the spotlight and lead guitar playing like the current guitar players in GNR and Iron Maiden?

How many times have you been told to stop trolling this section and wasting Marc's time? Enough already.

Who said that Slash refuses. It's just that you don't need it.

Slash is the best guitarist that GnR has ever had - no-one can argue with that really right? And when I say the best I mean he is the best suited and most gifted for the music that GnR played. He came up with some of the all-time classic intros, solos, guitar bits and outros in the history of rock. SCOM is the only example i need to give here. Slash is the absolute epitome of Hard Rock lead guitarists. Like Marc expresses - What else do you need? It's like saying that Guns N Roses also needed Brian Johnson to sing alongside Axl back in the day...

:)

Whatever went down in GNR land before the breakup, you can definitely see there was infighting. I personally think Axl as brilliant and talented as he his, was the catalyst. He was inserting these guitarists with Slash, changing the dynamic without even having a serious face to face. Someone like gilby was perfect for touring, and have izzy writing for the albums. Axl whining about not being ready to tour and that it was a plot by Slash to.... make him fail?... Suck it up princess, you were a rockstar - you're supposed to get out and tour. I don't think Slash was trying to 'ruin' his singer in a super successful band - it just doesn't make sense.

They should have stuck to communicating directly with each other. Take breaks, do solo albums, and regroup... like all the other greats.

Whatever went down in GNR land before the breakup, you can definitely see there was infighting. I personally think Axl as brilliant and talented as he his, was the catalyst. He was inserting these guitarists with Slash, changing the dynamic without even having a serious face to face. Someone like gilby was perfect for touring, and have izzy writing for the albums. Axl whining about not being ready to tour and that it was a plot by Slash to.... make him fail?... Suck it up princess, you were a rockstar - you're supposed to get out and tour. I don't think Slash was trying to 'ruin' his singer in a super successful band - it just doesn't make sense.

They should have stuck to communicating directly with each other. Take breaks, do solo albums, and regroup... like all the other greats.

In a perfect state of mind they should have done what you said disband GNR for a while and then regroup five years later

How many times have you been told to stop trolling this section and wasting Marc's time? Enough already.

Actually Marc didn't delete my question and answered it instead of complaining. This is a forum for discussion and I am allowed to ask questions to Marc wether it hurts your feelings or not.

His answer was also respectable and understandable.

Thanks Marc!