Do you accept and try to understand Axl's personality?

saber_

I understand Axl.

I'm pretty comfortable calling bullshit on this.

If you'll notice, screamindemon said earlier in the thread Axl had narcissistic personality disorder. But you didn't seem to take issue with that. It might even blow your mind that I possibly could agree with him. Why? Because I try to understand Axl and his motivations. Somethin for you to think about regardless.

If it makes you feel better, I can refer to the topic title- what I intended to write, and what I meant was: I TRY to understand Axl. Yes, ok, you got me, I phrased it wrong. And you're right: no one will ever fully understand Axl. As I've said before, he's mercurial and unpredictable. But for me, I for the most part get where Axl is coming from. I understand his point of view. I didn't say I agree with every godamn thing he says or his opinions, but after more than 24 years of following the band, I have a well-developed idea of Axl's personality. Despite his behavior, I accept his personality, and it honestly doesn't bother me as much as it does you.

Edited by brainsaber

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand Axl.

I'm pretty comfortable calling bullshit on this.

If you'll notice, screamindemon said earlier in the thread Axl had narcissistic personality disorder. But you didn't seem to take issue with that. It might even blow your mind that I possibly could agree with him. Why? Because I try to understand Axl and his motivations. Somethin for you to think about regardless.

If it makes you feel better, I can refer to the topic title- what I intended to write, and what I meant was: I TRY to understand Axl. Yes, ok, you got me, I phrased it wrong. And you're right: no one will ever fully understand Axl. As I've said before, he's mercurial and unpredictable. But for me, I for the most part get where Axl is coming from. I understand his point of view. I didn't say I agree with every godamn thing he says or his opinions, but after more than 20 years of following the band, I have a well-developed idea of Axl's personality. Despite his behavior, I accept his personality, and it honestly doesn't bother me as much as it does you.

People all over this board try to diagnose Axl with this and that and the other. I thought it was well established that that shit is just pure speculation, but you're right. Diagnosing Axl from afar is just as bad as saying you understand someone from afar.

I still think you overestimate how well you know Axl, but let's leave that aside for a second. I want to address what you say at the end about his personality bothering me more than it does you. This is obviously true. You know what it really comes down to for me, though? I could deal with all of his assholery, unpredictability, mood swings, undependability, inconsistency, etc., if he were man enough to just come out and say something like, "I'm fucked up. Life is difficult for me and sometimes I act in ways I probably shouldn't. I'm not entirely to blame, but I understand why people get frustrated with me and often can't work with me." I'm not saying exactly those words, but some semblance of accountability on his part. I mean, look at his supposed "apology" in Philadelphia. It's typical Axl bullshit. Everyone else is to blame and then he throws in a tiny "not that I'm innocent" at the end as if he wasn't just bitching about how everyone fucks things up for him. He blames everyone else for his problems. Like a child. And that's what bothers me.

Axl was horribly abused as a child which no doubt has left him with deep emotional scars and him having trouble trusting people. His anger and pain comes out in his music and his 'fuck you' attitude. I love his music and going to the gigs is great but I can't know or understand him as thankfully I didn't have the same shitty childhood but I will always be a loyal fan.

Edited by axlsend

Axl was horribly abused as a child which no doubt has left him with deep emotional scars and him having trouble trusting people. His anger and pain comes out in his music and his 'fuck you' attitude. I love his music and going to the gigs is great but I can't know or understand him as thankfully I didn't have the same shitty childhood but I will always be a loyal fan.

Do we know exactly what he went through? I'm just asking. Was he sexually abused? What happened exactly?

Guest LarsNorwegw

Do we know exactly what he went through? I'm just asking. Was he sexually abused? What happened exactly?

U want some sexy details?

I think he has issues. He does use self deprecating humor tho.... They think I'm a rock god? Usually its more like.. What did they throw at me. Or you saw my show... When, 20 years ago.

in reality axl owes us nothing. I think he is self medicating with alcohol, but I donno. I. Just glad we got uyi afd lies tsi and cd. Which has apparently come at a huge sacrifice for the man.

I'm just wondering if there's exageration.

I'm just wondering if there's exageration.

Sexy details? I don't consider sodomy on a young child sexy details.

You have to hang out with someone before you can pass judgement on their personality. I don't fool myself into thinking I even know the slightest bit about his personality(!).

Well that's not true.

Hypothetical: you hear I beat my girlfriend every day. I curse 24/7 and insult anyone smaller than me I think I could beat up. I get in fights every weekend. You just hear all this from various people, you see the bruises all over my girlfriend, you know I've been banned from some local bars... You think its wrong to assume I might be a little hot headed and violent just because you haven't personally met me?

I read that he was drugged and raped by his stepfather. I'll try and find the interview.

I read that he was drugged and raped by his stepfather. I'll try and find the interview.

That's what I was referring to. Imagine growing up where the one who is supposed to protect you violates you? In the worst way... and as a boy. Horrible. That's why I always dismissed his One in a Million Reference to homosexuals.

Guest bellastar2355

Obviously I don't know Axl, but from what I can gather, I think he's a really misunderstood guy. He has this sweet soul but unfortunately has a lot of anger regarding his life and that's what people know more about him, is his anger.

I do wish he would let go of some things and not be so stubborn, only for his sake. But I <3 Axl

When you meet him he is always polite and gracious but I wouldn't want to piss him off! Perhaps it's his red hair and celtic blood.

That's what I was referring to. Imagine growing up where the one who is supposed to protect you violates you? In the worst way... and as a boy. Horrible. That's why I always dismissed his One in a Million Reference to homosexuals.

Thinking back I think in the interview he says he was sexually abused by his father and physically abused by his stepfather and was angry at his mother for not protecting him.

Heavy metal singer Axl Rose has been included on every list of celebrities with bipolar disorder for years. Rose himself has stated he was diagnosed manic-depressive, but that he isn't sure the diagnosis is correct. A history like his might fit the profile for bipolar illness but could equally well fit other conditions as well.

Rose, who was raised as Bill Bailey, describes his childhood in mostly angry terms. He speaks of physical and sexual abuse, of a mother who was never there for him, of a stepfather who whacked him for singing along with Barry Manilow's "Mandy." He talks about singing songs of Elvis in front of the smaller children at recess when he was in third grade. He tells stories of witnessing astonishing things springing from a fervent Pentecostal upbringing, and winning prizes for learning Bible verses, yet being unable to believe anything of what he was taught.

By the age of 16, young Bill had developed into a "full-fledged juvenile delinquent," and was banned from his parents' home. He was jailed many times, though says he was not guilty except for some arrests for underage drinking. At 17 he learned that the man who had raised him, Stephen Bailey, was not his natural father, and adopted his natural father's surname of Rose. "Axl" was the name of one of his early bands. Pundits have noted that "Axl Rose" is an anagram of "oral sex," which may have appealed to the rebellious young man.

At 18 Axl hitchhiked to Los Angeles to seek his fortune. There he met up with school friend Izzy Stradlin, and over the next several years the two struggled their way toward success, sometimes living on the streets, playing wherever and whenever they could. The band Guns N' Roses, formed in 1985, had enough success to start playing as a lead act for established groups, and eventually made a name for themselves.

Between 1987 and 1991, Axl was arrested several times for assault. At some point he was diagnosed as bipolar and put on lithium; one source says he also underwent anger management therapy. Axl himself has been quoted in Rolling Stone as saying, "I'm very sensitive and emotional and things upset me and make me feel like not functioning or dealing with people... I went to a clinic, thinking it would help my moods. The only thing I did was to take one 500 question test - ya know, filling in the little black dots. All of a sudden I'm diagnosed manic-depressive. 'Let's put Axl on medication.' Well, the medication doesn't help me deal with the stress. The only thing it does is help keep people off my back because they figure I'm on medication."

It's impossible to say categorically whether Axl Rose is bipolar. Some of his behaviors - explosive anger, alcohol use in youth, substance abuse - could point to this, but could also be signs of post-traumatic stress disorder or other affective disorders. Accounts of his life give information about his childhood that is conflicting at times. Yet certainly he has had a turbulent life, and by all accounts, not a happy one.

People think I can't handle a negative comment about Axl, but that's not the case. I tend to target people who have an agenda. They're easy to spot. But I don't begrudge those such as yourself who make critical observations. Axl needs to be held accountable, I understand that.

Carry on.

How come people who say positive things about him don't have an agenda, but people who say negative things about him do?

Did you not read anything what I wrote? Jeeeeeesus fucking Christ, that's the problem with this place- some people don't even *try* to process what they read, they just respond by "feel" instead of substance. Do me a favor, read what I wrote. And then process it. Please.

In the very post you quoted, I just distinguished between people who are legitimately expressing their opinions and those who have an agenda. What part of that was not clear? God damn. *facepalm*

And for the record, I acknowledge that sailaway and iftheworld, etc, have an agenda too. See? I'm being fair here, despite your sincerest attempts to twist what I said, the truth is I can acknowledge anyone who has "an agenda." Unfortunately for you, the people I was referring to who have an agenda, their posting histories make it very clear they're only here to rag on Axl, not actually enjoy any positive elements the band has.

>How come people use the word "agenda" because Axl does, even when they don't apply it to the situation correctly?

I didn't use the word "agenda" because Axl has apparently used it. Sorry to burst your bubble, but i encourage you to look up the word just in case, because I used it quite accurately. When I use the word "agenda," it's because I've seen a clear pattern of an anti-Axl, anti-nuGuns, irrational criticism, etc. If you have time, you take some time and read the posting histories of Rustycage, magisme, maynard, diceman, dizzyreedsexmachine, username. Then you come back and tell me they don't have an "agenda." Yeah, that's what I thought. If it makes you feel better, I can use the word "autopilot" too, because it certainly applies.

If you think carefully about this, you'll notice that I don't confront every single person who has a negative opinion. If I did, I'd be exhausted and quite busy. Some people's agenda can be verified by going to other GnR sites and you can read them talking about their agenda. Hell, some of them are proud of it, and brag about it on other GnR sites.

As I keep saying over and over (and over), Axl needs to be held accountable and I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions on his voice, his lateness, lack of communication with fans, erratic behavior, eccentric beliefs, etc. But there's a difference between being a "concerned fan" and being some asshole who's perpetually upset because Slash isn't in the band and/or Axl is using the name.

Despite my reputation, and despite the lies spread about me, I don't confront every single person who says something negative about Axl. That can easily be verified. Hell, look at my friends's list- bacardimayne is on it. He speaks his mind and he's been critical of Axl, but he's on my friend's list and we get along. Oops.

You take yourself and this forum way too seriously.

As for your original question.

Yes. No.

Axl is my favorite rock and roll singer. I don't know him, I'll never meet him, I couldn't care less if I ever meet him. Some of his friends say he is a great guy off the stage, funny and caring and thoughtful. Others say he is a prima donna jerk. He's had four different women accuse him of physically assaulting them. We've all seen or read about his acts of anger. So I have no interest in learning more about his personal life or "understanding" him as a person. I care as much about him as he does about me.

When he releases new music - I'll spend my money on it.

When he tours near my area - I'll spend my money to go see him.

And I'll waste time on an internet forum chatting with other fans about him.

That's about it. I've never understood celebrity worship. Seems creepy to me.

People think I can't handle a negative comment about Axl, but that's not the case. I tend to target people who have an agenda. They're easy to spot. But I don't begrudge those such as yourself who make critical observations. Axl needs to be held accountable, I understand that.

Carry on.

How come people who say positive things about him don't have an agenda, but people who say negative things about him do?

Did you not read anything what I wrote? Jeeeeeesus fucking Christ, that's the problem with this place- some people don't even *try* to process what they read, they just respond by "feel" instead of substance. Do me a favor, read what I wrote. And then process it. Please.

In the very post you quoted, I just distinguished between people who are legitimately expressing their opinions and those who have an agenda. What part of that was not clear? God damn. *facepalm*

And for the record, I acknowledge that sailaway and iftheworld, etc, have an agenda too. See? I'm being fair here, despite your sincerest attempts to twist what I said, the truth is I can acknowledge anyone who has "an agenda." Unfortunately for you, the people I was referring to who have an agenda, their posting histories make it very clear they're only here to rag on Axl, not actually enjoy any positive elements the band has.

>How come people use the word "agenda" because Axl does, even when they don't apply it to the situation corr

ectly?

I didn't use the word "agenda" because Axl has apparently used it. Sorry to burst your bubble, but i encourage you to look up the word just in case, because I used it quite accurately. When I use the word "agenda," it's because I've seen a clear pattern of an anti-Axl, anti-nuGuns, irrational criticism, etc. If you have time, you take some time and read the posting histories of Rustycage, magisme, maynard, diceman, dizzyreedsexmachine, username. Then you come back and tell me they don't have an "agenda." Yeah, that's what I thought. If it makes you feel better, I can use the word "autopilot" too, because it certainly applies.

If you think carefully about this, you'll notice that I don't confront every single person who has a negative opinion. If I did, I'd be exhausted and quite busy. Some people's agenda can be verified by going to other GnR sites and you can read them talking about their agenda. Hell, some of them are proud of it, and brag about it on other GnR sites.

As I keep saying over and over (and over), Axl needs to be held accountable and I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions on his voice, his lateness, lack of communication with fans, erratic behavior, eccentric beliefs, etc. But there's a difference between being a "concerned fan" and being some asshole who's perpetually upset because Slash isn't in the band and/or Axl is using the name.

Despite my reputation, and despite the lies spread about me, I don't confront every single person who says something negative about Axl. That can easily be verified. Hell, look at my friends's list- bacardimayne is on it. He speaks his mind and he's been critical of Axl, but he's on my friend's list and we get along. Oops.

Yes. No.

Axl is my favorite rock and roll singer. I don't know him, I'll never meet him, I couldn't care less if I ever meet him. Some of his friends say he is a great guy off the stage, funny and caring and thoughtful. Others say he is a prima donna jerk. He's had four different women accuse him of physically assaulting them. We've all seen or read about his acts of anger. So I have no interest in learning more about his personal life or "understanding" him as a person. I care as much about him as he does about me.

four? is this recent? :nervous:

Carry on.

>How come people use the word "agenda" because Axl does, even when they don't apply it to the situation corr

ectly?

Yes. No.

four? is this recent? :nervous:

No, in the 1990's.