Did the Death of Glam Metal inspire Axl's GNR Takeover.

jimb0

GNR started getting popular around the end of the Glam Metal Movement. I was watching Metal Evolution (The grouped GNR in with Glam Metal) and went as far to say that Guns may have killed Glam Metal. Because they didn't just write pop ballads with hints of Rock.

Does anyone else think when Glam died Axl said to himself that he needs to keep GNR current so they don't just die out like many of the other bands from the strip? Axl did start wearing flannels which were something the Grunge bands were doing. And after Grunge passed he sought out the guitarist of an industrial band, the next big wave.

Do you think in the back of Axl's mind, as Glam and Grunge died, that Axl made a promise to himself that GNR wouldn't just be a trend, they'd be relevant forever?

It's ironic how things worked out.

I actually think GNR was part of the death of Hair metal. Once GNR releaded Welcome to the Jungle, people realized this band was serious and even though Axl did his hair up big, you just knew this band was different.

Rock needed a shot in the arm around 88 since the whole hair metal thing was getting out of hand. I mean I loved Motley Crue, Poison, Def Leppard, but then there were lesser talented bands like Danger Danger and other bands that just jumped on the hair metal band wagon.

When GNR came on the seen, it had to take notice. I mean seeing Welcome to the Jungle for the first time was like getting punched in the face. I knew the video was a nod to "A clockwork orange" and later on we found it to be a little of Axl's experience in coming to LA.

Anyway, between the song, the video and seeing this band rock you, you knew music had taken a change for the better!

Like the Rolling Stones in the 60's, GNR changed the course of rock music in the late 80's and it was a welcome to any fan of hard rock. These guys walked the walk and talked the talk and very super talented too.

I wouldn't say GNR got big at the end of the hair metal era. I'd say they got big right in the height of it. And obviously they were pretty glam back in the beginning. As to why they changed, I just think they adapted. They didn't really need the theatrical look of the glam scene anymore. To make it in Hollywood they probably chose to, but it likely wasn't even much of a choice as it was to stay in the scene. They sure seemed to make a pretty clean break from that look once they made it. WTTJ, is really the only video where they had all that glam shit going on. As far as starting to wear flannels to change with the Grunge movement, I really don't think so. You couldn't go anywhere from 1990-1995 without seeing dudes wearing flannels. I wore them in high school from 86-89 and after, and it didn't have anything to do with grunge. But I do believe GNR helped to put the final nails in the coffin of glam. That and record companies signing any pretty boy band that sang ballads (insert Firehouse here) flooding the radio waves with a Mecca of bands that all wanted to sound the same.

Edited by ll_tj1

Yup, exactly. Gn'R were around in the midst of the hair-metal movement, but they were different as has been said so many times. They weren't glam or hair metal. In fact, I think they helped kill it the same way Cobain and his Seattle counterparts supposedly "killed" Gn'R.

What ended Gn'R reign atop the rock world, honestly, was themselves. They ended a highly successful tour and faded away.

It's an interesting theory, and I've read that Axl did want to create more of a grunge sound that Slash was against. I think that's dangerous ground to walk. Pave your own way, you know? Can't chase trends.

Warrant put out a couple cool grunge sounding records but they got buried by people for being the "Cherry Pie" guys trying to mimick the new sound. But as an aside, I really enjoyed those later Warrant records.

Yup, exactly. Gn'R were around in the midst of the hair-metal movement, but they were different as has been said so many times. They weren't glam or hair metal. In fact, I think they helped kill it the same way Cobain and his Seattle counterparts supposedly "killed" Gn'R.

What ended Gn'R reign atop the rock world, honestly, was themselves. They ended a highly successful tour and faded away.

It's an interesting theory, and I've read that Axl did want to create more of a grunge sound that Slash was against. I think that's dangerous ground to walk. Pave your own way, you know? Can't chase trends.

Warrant put out a couple cool grunge sounding records but they got buried by people for being the "Cherry Pie" guys trying to mimick the new sound. But as an aside, I really enjoyed those later Warrant records.

I agree completely. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, nor any other Seattle band killed GNR. GNR, was on top when Nevermind and Ten came out, and while the grunge scene did finish off the hair metal scene, ala Warrant, White Lion, Firehouse, Poison, ect, it had little effect on GNR, just like it had little long term impact with Metallica. Guns killed themselves. I don't care who you wanna blame, Axl was to controlling, Slash was on drugs, Duff was a drunk, mix it all together and you get one big fucking mess. They outed themselves. They didn't need any help with that at all.

If he promised to himself that Guns would be relevant forever, not only a trend, well, he failed.

Like the Rolling Stones in the 60's, GNR changed the course of rock music in the late 80's and it was a welcome to any fan of hard rock. These guys walked the walk and talked the talk and very super talented too.

With the difference that the Rolling Stones ares till there and as big and relevant as always.

That said, nice post.

I think classic Gn'R is as relevant as ever. It's Axl's new lineup that no one really respects or considers legitimate. As I said elsewhere, more music would legitimize the current lineup. As is, they're just a cover act.

I believe this incarnation could be relevant, but it would require a somewhat steady output of new music, and I don't see Axl releasing a record every two years, or every 8 for that matter. To bad, they have potential to be much more than they are being allowed to be.

I think were or would have been influenced by grunge or nu metal. Slash seemed like he wanted to strip it back and that would work for grunge era. Duff and Axl seemed to have more punk metal ambitions.