Saddest Live Perfomance of November Rain?

ChristianGNR

This was just sad :(

I wonder what he sees in the crowd at 00.15? He seems so hurt by whatever it was.

He's looking for the lyrics on the teleprompter.

Ahah, so his shocked expression is because his teleprompter doesn't work?

Maybe. Rain can cause a shit ton of problems. He never got the lyrics straight so I assume his reaction is because it wasn't working.

The Leeds version...Bucket heads solo in the outro is heart wrenching. It mostly has to do with him going "down" the minor scale instead of up in that figure. Just awesome. Axl's clean voice and higher vocal center at the time lead to him needing more effort to hit the lower notes. In my opinion, that change in tonality is interesting as well.

Everytime i hear that perfomance from Leeds 02 i feel like a very melancholic, sad way. There's something in that version that i couldn't find in other live versions (old/new band, doesn't matter). Maybe the piano is too high in the mix? Maybe the little melodic changes in Axl's vocals?

I've always thought the exact same thing. There's something in the way Axl says "just knowin' that you were mine" that always got me. It's also my favorite part of the song. That along with Robin's amazing solos and the video of the whales in the background just make this an amazing performance. One the best!

This was just sad :(

I wonder what he sees in the crowd at 00.15? He seems so hurt by whatever it was.

I think he was looking at the prompter for the lyrics. With the downpour of rain prior to GNR taking the stage leading to various equipment problems (guitar tones off, pyro going off at wrong times, stage flooded, etc), Axl looked for the lyrics to that final part of the song & didn't see them.

That look was "Oh shit...don't know the lyrics."

Happens to all singers at one point or another.