Question for native speakers of English

TombRaider

Well, I'm not a native speaker, but Street of Dreams talks about Dylan:

dylanwn.jpg

15396273.jpg

The kid on the first picture is not Dylan, it was a girl, the daughter of a producer or something like that. I don´t remember well, maybe someone remembers this better than me.

Correct. It's Lonn Friend's daughter, Megan.

And if course Sorry is about Slash.

Sorry: Probably Slash. Obviously he dennied that, just like Slash dennied that Crucify The Dead is to/about Axl.

Did he actually say that? I'm sure I read a while back that Ozzy wrote the song about his thoughts on old Guns falling apart.

Exactly. Ozzy wrote the lyrics, there's a quote from Ozzy where he says he wrote it about old Guns, and "that's what I'd say to [Axl]" about it.

If anything, the only Slash song about Axl would be "What Do You Want To Be", but Dover wrote the lyrics to that apparently. :shrugs:

Really, it depends on the listener.

What I think a song means may be completely different from what you think it means.

Chinese Democracy: A song a people being held down by their government and fearing bad things will happen if they rebel. They don't know that they can rise up above the government and have the freedom that exists in far away lands.

Shacklers Revenge: A guy is angry at someone who let him down and betrayed him, so he goes somewhere, and starts shooting people, but noone ever knows the true reason why.

Better: A guy was in a relationship with someone who meant him harm and was angry that he never realized his true love was there all along, but he pushed her away.

Street of Dreams: Someone he onced loved has became a whole different person.

If the world: I don't like this song and usually skip over it. From the maybe 4 times I've listened to it, it seems like the meaning is similar to Better.

There was a Time: Someone who betrayed him (a girlfriend) a long time ago but he was in denial about it.

Catcher In The Rye: The innocence of young people and how they realize eventually that not everything in the world is full of goodness.

Scaped: Axl can't be stopped and thinks he is ontop of the world.

Riad: Axl saying that although people tried to trap them with their plan, he still ended up ontop.

Sorry: Axl bashing the media and people who spread lies about him, but noone listens to him for the truth.

IRS: Axl's been betrayed and he's pissed.

Madagascar: Axl wont be brought down by a disaster and will fight through it.

This I love: someone left Axl without saying goodbye or giving a reason, leaving him heartbroken.

Prostitute: Axl looking back and how his life and friends have changed.

These are my opinions of the song meaning, your mileage may vary.

CD - protest song of defiance

Shacklers - denial of a reason

Better - i dont trust you no more

SOD - following your dreams even if they taste bad

ITW - existential love song.

There was a time - im over it

Catcher - song for Lennon.

Scraped - frustration with life and lies etc

Riad - fighting talk

Sorry - ill do what i want

IRS - an emotional tax bill

madagasca overcoming the odds with class

TIL - unrequited love

prostitute - anti sell out song.

Edited by wasted

Well, I'm not a native speaker, but Street of Dreams talks about Dylan:

dylanwn.jpg

15396273.jpg

The kid on the first picture is not Dylan, it was a girl, the daughter of a producer or something like that. I don´t remember well, maybe someone remembers this better than me.

He probably dates her now :popcorn:

Axl has said multiple times that Sorry is not about Slash.

Well that can mean only one thing - Sorry is about Slash!!

Sure.

1. Chinese Democracy: commentary on the concept of oppressive, authoritarian governments.

2. Shackler's: Written from the perspective of a gun-wielding murderer.

3. Better: He's angry at an ex girlfriend.

4. Street of Dreams: trying to follow your dreams.

5. If the World: he's angry at an ex girlfriend.

6. There was a time: he's angry at an ex girlfriend.

7. Catcher in the rye: pretty much literally about the book by JD Salinger.

8. Scraped: Slash can't bring Axl down.

9. Riad: the record labels are out to get Axl.

10. Sorry: Axl hates Slash. But you're not allowed to ask him about Slash.

11. IRS: Axl is paranoid about "they" are out to get him.

12. Madagascar: Slash and record companies are out to get him.

13. This I Love: Axl is hysterically weeping about an ex girlfriend.

14. Prostitute: Axl explaining how he did the right thing by destroying GNR and turning it into a company run by himself with paid employees.

Brilliant analysis - agree with every single one.

Could I please get in one line a brief explaination of what each song on appetite is all about?I find it hard to understand.Thankyou.

Their life

>>Of COURSE he's going to say Sorry is not about Slash. What do you expect him to say? "Yes, I'm so upset over Slash that I wrote this song about him."?

actually that song refers to anybody on Axl enemy list. But i think that song is for Steven

I need a song by song breakdown like people are doing for CD to fully grasp it.Especially ISE and Think ABout You.Completely lost.

Edited by cbgnr

I think Axl said Shacklers was inspired by school shootings? (Columbine?)

Pretty sure he also said that all or most of the songs on the record are NOT about 1 person, event, thing, whatever. They've all got several meanings behind them. And Sorry "is not about someone I used to know" [referring to Slash] - Axl, Japan 2009. He doesn't outright say it's not about Slash, but it's implied by his mannerisms in the video. Come to think of it, he may have said it wasn't about Slash when he came on here...

I remember in Toronto 2010 Fortus (?) was picking the start Fall To Pieces just before they played Sorry. Axl was talking about how the song wasn't about Slash.

Fortus (?) was picking the start Fall To Pieces

Do you have video of this moment?

Sorry "wasnt about someone ( Slash)" I remember Axl´s face when said that so I understand the opposite. When someone try explain many times something is because has a little true in history.

Edited by Lucky girl