Is Axl responsible for driving away all ambitious musicians from GNR?

izzydoezit

Apparently Josh Freese left Axl because nothing was going on (and of course Josh he didn't have say if anything would go on).

Most ambitious musicians that want to do something with their talent seem to be driven away with Axl's total lack of effort to make new music.

People that want to make music just steer away from Axl.

It feels to me that Axl has ended up with a lineup of members that care exclusively for getting their paycheck and making a new album is not something they demand to happen. So they stick with Axl even though Axl is doing absolutely nothing with them.

IMO it is Axl responsibility that it ended up like this and only his behavior could change that.

Of course Axl is partially to blame. I would love to hear his side of everything someday.

I'd be very interested to know about all the lawsuits from (bitter) ex-members that went down since OMG was released.

He was fucked up. Not so much bitter. His bitterness never came close to Axl's. I just find it ironic to cite other people's than Axl's bitterness when it comes to GNR.

I never said Axl wasn't bitter or wasn't partially at fault. Selective reading only makes you look like a cupcake.

I don't know that I can draw conclusions about what current members care about. Maybe they still think new music is possible. Maybe they're just in it for the paycheck. I don't know. I do think it's a no-brainer, however, that Axl has driven and will drive away musicians whose first priority is to actually create music. All we can say about the current members until either they quit or a new album is released is that we don't really know what they are to GNR, besides (for the most part) cover musicians.

:rofl-lol: @ calling someone's opinion "biased."

Edited by magisme

I thought it was interesting that josh feese's pals were advising him against working with axl even back in the late 90's. just goes to show you how people in the know knew axl was a lost cause back then.

True.

Band members with true ambition like Buckethead, Brain, and Robin (i.e. the backbone of the 2001-2006 lineups) left because the GN'R boat was not moving fast. Axl himself has said it best when he said it's nothing short of a miracle Chinese Democracy got released. It was a perfect storm of the leaks proving their was minimal interest and a manager who had enough clout to get a huge deal that would recoup the astronomical sum spent on the album. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the current line-up, and I know that a good few of them would probably love to have some new music out and have some new songs to play at shows (particularly Bumblefoot, Richard, and DJ Ashba) but at the end of the day they're going to stick around because it's a fun gig, pays well, and is invaluable promotion for side projects that, without Guns N' Roses, would fly completely under the radar.

I guess my point is that any member that will truly want to move Guns N' Roses forward has left. What we have now are very talented musicians who see new music as a bonus...not necessarily a reality.

Let me get things straight: GnR (Or ex) members that are ambitious leave the band while those who aren't stay? :lol: these so called fans are getting worse every day.

How many albums by people who left the band? How many GNR albums since, fuck it who cares, their FIRST lineup change? Case closed.

Edited by magisme

Guest NGOG

Apparently Josh Freese left Axl because nothing was going on (and of course Josh he didn't have say if anything would go on).

This is a poor summary of what Josh discussed in his interview, unsurpisingly. Freese is a session drummer that rarely commits to anything long-term. As he said, he'll help you out 'if he's in town'. He was contracted with GNR for two years and opted not to extend that because he didn't see the record coming out within a year or two beyond that. He simply wasn't prepared to subject himself to the prolonged and gruelling process of making a GNR record. Few high profile rock bands of any note produce a completed album made within three years.

Josh Freese said it: the GNR contract stipulates that GNR must be the musician's pirority. Now, think about that. That means you can't pursue your creative endeavors for god knows how long, until Axl says it's time to record an album.

For talentless non-songwriters with no fanbase of their own (Fortus, Bumble, Stintson) this is no problem at all. I mean, it's not like Dizzy has a rabid fanbase waiting to hear his next brilliant foray into songwriting.

But for ambitious, talented musicians who can do other things (Buckethead, Freese) this is a HUGE issue. It means that they cannot attend to their existing fanbases or really get into creating something else, cuz then GNR is no longer a priority, according to Axl.

This explains the current lineup: talentless non-songwriters who are great cover musicians.

Edited by niceguy

Josh Freese said it: the GNR contract stipulates that GNR must be the musician's pirority. Now, think about that. That means you can't pursue your creative endeavors for god knows how long, until Axl says it's time to record an album.

For talentless non-songwriters with no fanbase of their own (Fortus, Bumble, Stintson) this is no problem at all. I mean, it's not like Dizzy has a rabid fanbase waiting to hear his next brilliant foray into songwriting.

But for ambitious, talented musicians who can do other things (Buckethead, Freese) this is a HUGE issue. It means that they cannot attend to their existing fanbases or really get into creating something else, cuz then GNR is no longer a priority, according to Axl.

This explains the current lineup: talentless non-songwriters who are great cover musicians.

this.

it's funny cause bumble seems to be the next in line but he's probably the one who most needs the money. let's see what will matter more, music or money.