Who is hip hop's current big dog?

Guest NGOG

Guest NGOG

Kendrick Lemar and A$AP Rocky are breathing new life into gangster rap. But I would still have to go Kanye. He may not have the substance and background of those two cats, but he makes damn good songs.

tumblr_m8fjsrzhkZ1rd0xt4o1_1280.jpg

Guest NGOG

I think if you were to say 'rap', most people would veer towards Kanye and/or Jay-Z.

Jay Z can be still have great moments, mostly under the influence of Kanye, but most of his stuff is hit and miss. A$AP Rocky is the next big thing.

I thought it was Lil Wayne

Young Money is a cancer on hip hop.

I think if you were to say 'rap', most people would veer towards Kanye and/or Jay-Z.

Jay Z can be still have great moments, mostly under the influence of Kanye, but most of his stuff is hit and miss. A$AP Rocky is the next big thing.

Oh, I agree, A$AP is great. But in terms of the genre and who the faces of it are at this moment, Ye and Jay are it imo. Mostly Yeezy.

Guest Len B'stard

Depends on how you define big dog...but power, money, clout, rhyme skills, bankability, business acumen and general power broker status? Gotta be Jigga and that much cannot be denied, numbers don't lie, facts are facts, Lil Wayne ain't even really in his league.

Guest NGOG

I'm not really referring to industry standing but raw talent. The guy whose pushing the boundaries of modern day hip hop. Jay Z is one of the most powerful cats in the industry for sure, but his material has been very hit and miss for a long time. Kanye is pretty much putting him over all the time.

Guest Len B'stard

Raw talent? Hmmm, thats something else. Jiggas overflowing with that too...although i dunno, raw suggests perhaps something a little less refined, fresher...Kendrick Lamarr? I'm a little stuck for an answer to be honest and i consider myself a hip hop head.

I can't stand Kanye West, i think he's awful.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest NGOG

At a point it may have been Jay Z. I would say pre-Kanye it probably was. Recently though it's Kanye that's been giving Jay Z his hits. He was the driving force on Watch The Throne and Jay Z the necessary icing.

I'm still waiting for a proper resurgence for Nas. Lamar is definitely something else.

Popularity?

Kendrick Lamar

A$AP Rocky

Macklemore

Kanye West

Pitbull

Talent?

Kendrick Lamar

A$AP Rocky

Kanye West

Aesop Rock

Doom

Hip hop is starting to undergo the same indie change that rock went through the previous decade.

The underground shit is bubbling to the surface, and the people are loving it.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Guest NGOG

The 50 Cent post reminded me of My Life and thus The Game. Another contender for the honour in my opinion, if he could stay out of prision and get some momentum.

Guest Len B'stard

I've only just discovered his poetry.

He does First Date with Fiddy.

My favorite Too $hort lyric goes 'Too $hort baby, i ain't no sucker, literally i'm a mother-fucker' :lol: