The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Morons chelsea were never that convincing. They always had tight 1-0s. But that game could have been 8-1 to chelsea. Im surprised by Eto'o. Getting him is like Torres 2.

I think some of the teams like City and Chelsea are in for champions league. It really messes with the epl.

But when its crunch time Chelsea will pull through. Altho Luiz is a liability. And Lampard has to play.

Anybody have thought on the whole Yid Army thing. Some Jewish fans find it offensive, FA trying to get spuds to stamp it out, spuds reluctant as many fans see it as a badge of honour. Thoughts?

Its a word I use a lot in reference to the enemy but I have never given it much thought, especially the origins.

Guest Len B'stard

Thing is its a name they call themselves hence its what they're referred to as although the origins of it is them subverting a racial epithet. My thinking is what else do you call a group but the name they call themselves by? I dont mean jewish people i mean Spurs fans or the Spurs firm.

I think the main problem is that the term has now become somewhat offensive to Jewish people themselves, I know several Spurs fans who refuse to go to games due to the Yid chants from our own fans. I mean I understand the whole reclaiming an offensive work such as black people have done with "hooray for tolerance!" but when the term you are choosing to reclaim becomes offensive again it loses the point.

Now become offensive? It was always offensive.

No shit but now it has kind of come full circle, originally it was Jewish people singing it to try and reclaim it but now the vast majority of people who sing it at games aren't Jewish or have no idea where it originated from.

Well i dont know do i, im a 30 yr old man, how would i have seen Harry soddin' Potter?

Obviously there are no polls to prove something so irrelevant, but I'd imagine the vast majority of 30 year old men residing in the UK have seen a Harry Potter. :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Well i dont know do i, im a 30 yr old man, how would i have seen Harry soddin' Potter?

Obviously there are no polls to prove something so irrelevant, but I'd imagine the vast majority of 30 year old men residing in the UK have seen a Harry Potter. :lol:

What a ridiculous thing to say :lol: I don't think there's any one film in the world that could accurately say has been seen by the vast majority of 30 yr old men, i think you give these things a bit too much credit as being like, universal. For instance, i could almost guarantee you that the vast majority of working class 30 yr old pakistani men in the UK haven't seen Harry Potter and thats just one little cross-section of British society.

What a ridiculous thing to say :lol: I don't think there's any one film in the world that could accurately say has been seen by the vast majority of 30 yr old men, i think you give these things a bit too much credit as being like, universal. For instance, i could almost guarantee you that the vast majority of working class 30 yr old pakistani men in the UK haven't seen Harry Potter and thats just one little cross-section of British society.

Harry Potter came out in 1997, well the first book did anyways so thats like 16 years ago. Pretty much everyone knows what it is regardless of how old people are, not like the books and films were underground secrets or anything. One of the biggest franchises in the world.

Guest Len B'stard

Harry Potter came out in 1997, well the first book did anyways so thats like 16 years ago. Pretty much everyone knows what it is regardless of how old people are, not like the books and films were underground secrets or anything. One of the biggest franchises in the world.

Knowing what it is and having seen it are two different things but whatever man, i don't wanna turn this footie thread into a massive back and forth about Harry Potter :lol:

Are you suggesting that 30 year old Pakistani men aren't capable of assimilating into popular culture? What a racist thing to say. :lol:

I fully stand by my statement. If you haven't heard of Voldemort, you must live in a fucking cave.

Guest Len B'stard

Are you suggesting that 30 year old Pakistani men aren't capable of assimilating into popular culture? What a racist thing to say. :lol:

Do you not think it's equally ignorant to think that just because a certain cross section of society is aware of something that it applies to everybody? I had a similar discussion previously with Totts who claimed that he'd never heard the word 'innit' uttered in British society. I think part of the problem arises (possibly in my case too in many instances) when you surround yourself with a particular kind of person that you start thinking that it applies to the rest of the world.

It applies to things like Guns n Roses too...or even The Beatles, there are certain cross sections of society, larger percentages than you'd imagine, that ain't got a clue who they are or only have a very very vague awareness of them. I've pointed this out in certain places and it's been met with incredulousness but I stand by it cuz i know it to be the truth.

Perhaps I just live in a cave cuz I've never been put in a position where by I would be confronted with Harry Potter. I hang around with people of my own age group, of varying races and i can't think of any of em that has seen Harry Potter or would have any interest in seeing it.

Suffice to say there is a shitload more to popular culture than Harry soddin' Potter. And like, for instance reggae, no one on this forum, if my threads about it are anything to judge by, knows jackshit about Reggae music and yet its a pretty big part of certain cross-section of popular culture...would you say thats something to do with the members of this forum being incapable of assimilating popular culture? Not really, just different strokes for different folks, it's like I say, don't make the mistake of thinking the whole world is like the particular cross-section of society that you are most aware of.

Edited by sugaraylen

For the record Len, I have heard innit on tv and in films just never in person that I can remember.

But then again Harry Potter is probably the biggest British book and film franchise in recent history, not too much of a jump to assume most people have heard of a series that has a multibillion dollar film series and has sold over 300 million books worldwide.

Edited by Tater Totts

Do you not think it's equally ignorant to think that just because a certain cross section of society is aware of something that it applies to everybody?

I'm not reading the rest of your ramblings. You're the one underestimating the reach of Harry Potter. We're not talking about a bloody cross section of society here. Look up the stats.

Guest Len B'stard

Do you not think it's equally ignorant to think that just because a certain cross section of society is aware of something that it applies to everybody?

I'm not reading the rest of your ramblings.

I think we'll leave it at that shall we?

I'm not reading the rest of your ramblings.

I think we'll leave it at that shall we?

All you do is ramble without any regard for facts. Admittedly you've never heard of Harry Potter, yet you're trying to lecture me on its appeal? :lol:

Have you ever heard of something which transcends sections of society? Harry Potter is one of those things.

Guest Len B'stard

For the record Len, I have heard innit on tv and in films just never in person that I can remember.

See to me thats just incredible and very very difficult to believe. I'm sure it's true and i'm not saying it's a phrase used in every other sentence by everybody but to've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone in real life? Clearly highlights the distinction I'm pointing out.

All you do is ramble without any regard for facts.

:rolleyes:

Admittedly you've never heard of Harry Potter, yet you're trying to lecture me on its appeal?

I didn't say that though did I? Honestly, you whinge at me about facts this and facts that yet this is the umpteenth time, more recently in the boxing thread and now here that your inability to read and understand posts has resulted in you assigning something to me that I've never said. I never said I hadn't heard of it, Totts mentioned the name of a character and i didn't know what it was until I was told, now there's a difference between that and having never ever heard of Harry Potter isn't there? Yet another example of you completely talking out of your arse.

Have you ever heard of something which transcends sections of society? Harry Potter is one of those things.

:rofl-lol: Thats all i gotta say about that.
Edited by sugaraylen

Len I got to agree sbout Harry Potter trasceding sections of society, it isn't just any book or franchise. It is has been one of the biggest film franchises and arguably the biggest book franchise of the last 20 years. It has been translated into countless languages and has been at the center of British popculture for the last 10+ years since the films have come out.

Well i dont know do i, im a 30 yr old man, how would i have seen Harry soddin' Potter? :lol:

Let's go back to your original statement. When you insinuate that a 30 year old man would not see Harry Potter you're absolutely wrong.

It's weirder that you, a 30 year old man residing in the UK, have not heard of Voldemort. :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Len I got to agree sbout Harry Potter trasceding sections of society, it isn't just any book or franchise. It is has been one of the biggest film franchises and arguably the biggest book franchise of the last 20 years. It has been translated into countless languages and has been at the center of British popculture for the last 10+ years since the films have come out.

I would say something similar about reggae music yet there are vast cross-sections of society that have a brief surface level face value understanding or knowledge of it :shrugs:

Thank you.

I would say something similar about reggae music yet there are vast cross-sections of society that have a brief surface level face value understanding or knowledge of it :shrugs:

FFS.

Guest Len B'stard

Well i dont know do i, im a 30 yr old man, how would i have seen Harry soddin' Potter? :lol:

Let's go back to your original statement. When you insinuate that a 30 year old man would not see Harry Potter you're absolutely wrong.

You did that in the boxing thread as well, when you get called out for chatting shit you're like 'oh well lets go back to such and such' :lol:

It's weirder that you, a 30 year old man residing in the UK, have not heard of Voldemort.

What do you want, a fuckin' apology? :lol: Perhaps you're right and I'm the weird one here, i don't think it's particularly weird but you're welcome to your opinion.

Thank you.

FFS.

What? The parrallel is pretty fucking glaring, is it not? An internationally known highly influential musical genre that has sold millions upon million upon millions worldwide and yet certain cross-sections of society have little to no real awareness of it, in the same what that Harry Potter, according to you guys, is like some fucking universal thing thats bought the world together across cultural barriers and blah blah blah yet I've only got a face value understanding of it i.e. it's about a boy wizard or something. And there are many many many people like me.

You really like being wrong do you NGOG? :lol: You'll fight it right to the end, no matter how clear the other side is, I gotta say the level of commitment if nothing else is really quite impressive.

Edited by sugaraylen

You did that in the boxing thread as well, when you get called out for chatting shit you're like 'oh well lets go back to such and such' :lol:

That's because you just go off on ramblings when you've been challenged on something.

Floyd Mayweather is an all-time great, most people in western society (and beyond) have heard of Voldemort. Two facts, regardless of what your impassioned ramblings argue.

Seriously the idea that everybody should have heard of Harry Cunting Potter characters is lunacy.

It's good nobody expressed that idea then isn't it?

Edited by NGOG

There is a big difference between a genre of music and the biggest British literary franchise since it came out. The films alone have grossed $7,706,147,978. That isn't a typo, that is $7.7 billion. It has sold 450 million copies of the book worldwide, heck if we want to go into fine details the first Harry Potter book sold over 100 million copies since it came out in 1997. No reggae album would come even close to that.