The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Guest Len B'stard

Galaxy, where top flight footballers go to die :lol: It's the footballing equivalent of the glue factory!

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Don't get me wrong, it's a cracking lifestyle choice but as far like football? I'd rather go get bananas slung at me and/or be called a dirty English bastard, fuck it, better a death in the trenches than a retirement home.

Its not a retitement home its a football community. Id definitely take the easy route at that point. Id bring out a set of steak knives. Hows the barbq sauce business. Living in LA next Jack Nicholson got to be better than playing in some shithole european country.

Guest Len B'stard

Galaxy, where top flight footballers go to die :lol: It's the footballing equivalent of the glue factory!

Worked out okay for Beckham.

What, he went over there, played cartoon football with the yanks, had a brief kick about with PSG and promptly retired :shrugs:

What, he went over there, played cartoon football with the yanks, had a brief kick about with PSG and promptly retired :shrugs:
And played at AC Milan twice, the point is he was good enough to still play at the top level if he wanted to.

And played at AC Milan twice, the point is he was good enough to still play at the top level if he wanted to.

You're naïve if you believe Beckham was loaned to those clubs for his playing ability. It was a marketing move. He was good enough to sell jerseys.

You're naïve if you believe Beckham was loaned to those clubs for his playing ability. It was a marketing move. He was good enough to sell jerseys.

And yet when he did play there he was successful, the quality of football is obviously a bit lower and the pace slower in both Italy and France but Len is making it sound like Beckham could hardly kick a ball.

Says a lot for the standard of the opposition if Beckham was just a Championship level player, all those League titles across 4 countries, the Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup, England captain...

If that's rubbish then Steven Gerrard is lucky not to be playing for Morecambe.

Says a lot for the standard of the opposition if Beckham was just a Championship level player, all those League titles across 4 countries, the Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup, England captain...

If that's rubbish then Steven Gerrard is lucky not to be playing for Morecambe.

The difference between the two is that Beckham was never a top 10 player in the world during his career - Gerrard was, easily.

Moreover, what does winning trophies have to do with how good a player is? Djimi Traore has a Champions League winner's medal and Ibrahamovic doesn't!

Edited by PappyTron

And yet when he did play there he was successful, the quality of football is obviously a bit lower and the pace slower in both Italy and France but Len is making it sound like Beckham could hardly kick a ball.

He played sporadically for both sides. As I said before, post-Utd and Madrid he became nothing more than a marketing ploy. Look at the merchandise figures he generated at Galaxy. AC and Paris, ran by notorious businessmen, wanted in on the money.

Mate I'm not disputing the fact he was used as a marketing ploy at PSG, the whole giving up his salary to charity thing was clearly intended to do that. But at AC Milan, particularly in the first season there he was pretty much a fixture in the side while there and the same in his second season before he did his achillies tendon.

While he may not have been as good as he was at United and Madrid he was still motivated due to his desire to continuing playing for England and I really think both you and Len are underplaying what he did in the later years of his career, especially Len who is acting like Beckham was a spent force when he moved to Galaxy which was not the case. Pay attention here because I am not trying to claim he was the same player at United and Madrid but he was not to quote Len, "being led out to the glue factory".

I think that what Len is saying, Totts, is that any player who goes to the US to ply their trade is accepting that they are not willing, or able, to cut it in a "real" league such as in England, Spain, Italy, Germany etc. The MSL is not a top league and the teams there are not great - Beckham going there was about money, not about proving that he could still cut it at the top.

Edited by PappyTron

I will concede that the state of English football was dire when we needed to rely on Beckham to come back to help us qualify for the 2010 World Cup, certainly says something about the state of our wingers when we needed to rely on him. Very much the same at United that they had to rely on Giggs and Scholes and haven't replaced either of them yet.

Mate I'm not disputing the fact he was used as a marketing ploy at PSG, the whole giving up his salary to charity thing was clearly intended to do that. But at AC Milan, particularly in the first season there he was pretty much a fixture in the side while there and the same in his second season before he did his achillies tendon.

While he may not have been as good as he was at United and Madrid he was still motivated due to his desire to continuing playing for England and I really think both you and Len are underplaying what he did in the later years of his career, especially Len who is acting like Beckham was a spent force when he moved to Galaxy which was not the case. Pay attention here because I am not trying to claim he was the same player at United and Madrid but he was not to quote Len, "being led out to the glue factory".

Fair enough pal.