What would have happened had Slash reached Axl in 2005?

mina1788

Imagine Beta wasn't home the night Slash went to see Axl, and instead Axl answered the door.

What would have happened?

Nothing. Axl was already VERY invested in the new band, the new album, everything. They might patch things up on a personal level and maybe some appearances like Izzy and Duff did. There's a LOT of criticism to be had on Axl, but nobody could ever question his loyalty. So he wouldn't ditch all his bandmates just because he's made up with some old bandmembers. It worked that way with Izzy and Duff and it would be the same with Slash.

If Slash had kept going up there like Izzy did and they weren't in a legal battle, Axl and Slash probably would have talked. Slash made one attempt and that was it.

He walked out of GNR. Maybe it was in disgust but he was the one who decided not to deal with GNR anymore, but he had the arrogance to think Axl wouldn't be able to do it without him.

And Axl had the arrogance to think that he could re-build Guns N Roses into what it was or even something better without Slash. That's not an opinion. Marc stated that Axl had told him exactly that. You're right, Slash left on his own free-will, but by most member's accounts, what was there to stay for? If Axl would communicate with Slash it was only while his face was buried in a magazine, not even giving him the courtesy of looking at him. How about him bringing in his old Indiana buddy without even consulting with the other founding members (cue the Tracy and Ole Bach idiots). We won't even bring up the contracts that Axl forced upon his partners as a means to "protect" himself. Yet, here you are chastising Slash for not sticking around - arms wide-opened- to welcome the abuse. Fucking ludicrous.

All trolling aside, there are obviously always two sides to every story - and I don't really believe that Slash was Mr. Innocent by any means, but Axl certainly had culpability that lead to the demise of the band. You say that "Slash had the arrogance to think that Axl wouldn't be able to do it without him." Well, has he been able to do it without him? Really? Has he? Despite grunge taking a front seat in the early-mid nineties ,GNR were still a really big band up until Slash's departure. After he left, how long did they remain that huge band? (cue the Axl can tour stadiums in SA idiots)

According to Axl, he tried for 2-3 years to get Slash back even after he left, but as far as I'm aware, we never really heard what he did exactly - other than maybe calling Slash's family at one point. And as far as I'm aware, that has never actually been confirmed by anyone but Axl.

Bottom line ... GNR was a band. Axl changed that by insisting that he was boss and they were his employees. I wouldn't say that was the beginning of the end because by that time two essential members were already long gone. The contract pushing was pretty much just the nail in the coffin. I think Slash was wrong in how he went about talking about their relationship issues so publically, but I can't really fault the guy for not allowing a bi-polar egomaniac to be the one who calls all the shots, especially since Slash played just as big of a role in the success of the band as Axl did.

Clash of Two Egos. Axl wanted/wants to be leader, by his own admission. Slash pretends not to, but it's clear in interviews from the time that he thought he could still sell records and concerts just as well on his own as with GNR. Axl wanted GNR to be the Great Rock Band, following in footsteps of Queen, Led Zep, etc. Slash wanted GNR to be a "loud Rolling Stones". Marc Canter says that Slash sometimes lies to make himself look "cool" and good, and I don't believe he was/is as nonchalant about the GNR ordeal as he claims to be. I'm sure he loves doing club tours, and I know he could sell out arenas if he wanted to (at least in Europe), but it's obvious he loves the big lights, too, but he's also wary of sharing them. I think part of why he didn't want Zakk in the band was because of an ego/alpha male guitarist thing, and I think it was a similar issue with Corey Taylor being in VR: it would take a lot of the spotlight off of Slash.

Clash of Two Egos. Axl wanted/wants to be leader, by his own admission. Slash pretends not to, but it's clear in interviews from the time that he thought he could still sell records and concerts just as well on his own as with GNR. Axl wanted GNR to be the Great Rock Band, following in footsteps of Queen, Led Zep, etc. Slash wanted GNR to be a "loud Rolling Stones". Marc Canter says that Slash sometimes lies to make himself look "cool" and good, and I don't believe he was/is as nonchalant about the GNR ordeal as he claims to be. I'm sure he loves doing club tours, and I know he could sell out arenas if he wanted to (at least in Europe), but it's obvious he loves the big lights, too, but he's also wary of sharing them. I think part of why he didn't want Zakk in the band was because of an ego/alpha male guitarist thing, and I think it was a similar issue with Corey Taylor being in VR: it would take a lot of the spotlight off of Slash.

Slash wanted a "real" frontman for VR and not Izzy... why did he want a real frontman if he doesn't want to be overshadowed? And there's no point to 2 lead guitarists in a band.

instead allowed the media to run w/ the encounter and paint Axl in a worse light

Axl painted his own light. The only reason the media even heard about the story was because Axl decided to use Slash's good will gesture against him, and attempt to ruin his relationship with his VR bandmates. Unfortunately, it only served to make Axl look petty and bitter.

Slash wanted a "real" frontman for VR and not Izzy... why did he want a real frontman if he doesn't want to be overshadowed? And there's no point to 2 lead guitarists in a band.

Myles should have joined velvet revolver, but I believe slash prefers being 'slash' 10x more than VR... and so do I.

I believe that Perla has slash by the balls and that's the reason he went to axl's house, that's why slash is playing at dance festivals and Ibiza.

Perla decides slash's life more than TB decide axl's, but whatever they enjoy doing, right?

Myles should have joined velvet revolver, but I believe slash prefers being 'slash' 10x more than VR... and so do I.

I believe that Perla has slash by the balls and that's the reason he went to axl's house, that's why slash is playing at dance festivals and Ibiza.

Perla decides slash's life more than TB decide axl's, but whatever they enjoy doing, right?

If Myles had joined VR, the band would still exist today I believe... I kinda miss Duff and Matt but I think it's best for Slash to stay solo. Maybe they could reunite for an album down the line though.

instead allowed the media to run w/ the encounter and paint Axl in a worse light

Axl painted his own light. The only reason the media even heard about the story was because Axl decided to use Slash's good will gesture against him, and attempt to ruin his relationship with his VR bandmates. Unfortunately, it only served to make Axl look petty and bitter.

U may be right. For some reason I thought Slash issued the first press release. Which caused Axl to release his regarding Slash showing up drunk. Either way I could very well be wrong in my assessment

Slash wants Myles because he's a good singer, but he's also more malleable than Weiland and Corey Taylor. Slash talked about how he felt constricted not only in VR, but even in his Snakepit days, which is why the 2010 self-titled album is the first one he considers his first true solo album.

That's an unbelievably huge assumption.

That's an unbelievably huge assumption.

that's all we do on mygnr cause we don't hear any news :lol:

If Slash had kept going up there like Izzy did and they weren't in a legal battle, Axl and Slash probably would have talked. Slash made one attempt and that was it.

He walked out of GNR. Maybe it was in disgust but he was the one who decided not to deal with GNR anymore, but he had the arrogance to think Axl wouldn't be able to do it without him.

And Axl had the arrogance to think that he could re-build Guns N Roses into what it was or even something better without Slash. That's not an opinion. Marc stated that Axl had told him exactly that. You're right, Slash left on his own free-will, but by most member's accounts, what was there to stay for? If Axl would communicate with Slash it was only while his face was buried in a magazine, not even giving him the courtesy of looking at him. How about him bringing in his old Indiana buddy without even consulting with the other founding members (cue the Tracy and Ole Bach idiots). We won't even bring up the contracts that Axl forced upon his partners as a means to "protect" himself. Yet, here you are chastising Slash for not sticking around - arms wide-opened- to welcome the abuse. Fucking ludicrous.

All trolling aside, there are obviously always two sides to every story - and I don't really believe that Slash was Mr. Innocent by any means, but Axl certainly had culpability that lead to the demise of the band. You say that "Slash had the arrogance to think that Axl wouldn't be able to do it without him." Well, has he been able to do it without him? Really? Has he? Despite grunge taking a front seat in the early-mid nineties ,GNR were still a really big band up until Slash's departure. After he left, how long did they remain that huge band? (cue the Axl can tour stadiums in SA idiots)

According to Axl, he tried for 2-3 years to get Slash back even after he left, but as far as I'm aware, we never really heard what he did exactly - other than maybe calling Slash's family at one point. And as far as I'm aware, that has never actually been confirmed by anyone but Axl.

Bottom line ... GNR was a band. Axl changed that by insisting that he was boss and they were his employees. I wouldn't say that was the beginning of the end because by that time two essential members were already long gone. The contract pushing was pretty much just the nail in the coffin. I think Slash was wrong in how he went about talking about their relationship issues so publically, but I can't really fault the guy for not allowing a bi-polar egomaniac to be the one who calls all the shots, especially since Slash played just as big of a role in the success of the band as Axl did.

axl trying to get slash back is in slash's book. he also said axl thought gnr was him and slash but slash thought it was a group. so he wasn't denying slash's part. as hard as dealing with axl is if he had stayed i'm sure they would have worked it out eventually. obviously at that point slash thought it's not worth it to stay and try. it wasn't just axl who thought he could make it on his own

wow, biased anyone?

petty and bitter to who? a slashite?

you're funny.

From another angle I would say they are both equally hardheaded, in Slash's own words the parting of ways was due to mutual power trips.

but on topic :shades:

I think if Axl would have answered the door that night to a random knock from Slash, all the security issues aside if that was even possible, but for the sake of conversation,

It could have gone either way, "Slash, come on in" and things could have done a 180 and maybe they would be making music and touring.

Random acts of olive branch can lead to real soul searching sometimes if it's done right.

But being they are both ego maniacs, stubborn, and business brain dead to the fruits of a reunion. That will never happen.

and quite frankly I would vote it would have gone the other way and Axl would have launched into a tirade and slammed the door on him.

jmo

Edited by shades