Samurai I, Samurai II, & Samurai II: Greatest foreign trilogy of all time?

That guy's story is fascinating. I've heard his teachings from the Book Of Five Rings are used in high end corporate deals. Joe Rogan won't shut up about this guy.

Good doc from History Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6wH_a9faXQ

I watched the Samurai trilogy a while back and liked it a lot. Mifune is one of my favorite actors. He was awesome in a lot of the Kurosawa samurai themed movies as well.

Just recently watched the live action version of Rurouni Kenshin, pretty good.

Three Colours'd be a good contender i reckons :)

Red, White, and Blue?

I can't remember but only two were good, maybe White was off.

Did you see "Best of Youth"? That is quite remarkable. It's more of a miniseries than a trilogy if I remember properly.

That guy's story is fascinating. I've heard his teachings from the Book Of Five Rings are used in high end corporate deals. Joe Rogan won't shut up about this guy.

I watched the Samurai trilogy a while back and liked it a lot. Mifune is one of my favorite actors. He was awesome in a lot of the Kurosawa samurai themed movies as well.

Thanks, will check that out. I forget most of that book but mostly recall Musashi was AGAINST art as commerce. Nothing wrong with making a living off art but those who covet teachings and are not inborn teachers are not the best proponents of art.

Mifune is my fav, too. He was in another great Samurai movie (I forget) that wasn't Kurosawa. Ikuru is my fav.

This should be in the film section.

Thanks! Can I switch it or only a mod?

I didn't watch the whole trilogy, just the first one and it was a long time ago but I remember I quite enjoyed it. I haven't seen many films of this genre but, from the ones I've seen, my favourite is Rashomon. Kill Bill got me into this kind of movies to be honest.

(Three Colours is more my thing too)

Patience 4 Axl, on 30 Jul 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:
This post just reminded me of another benefit to the changes. Finally we can eliminate all those annoying wannabe forum police who cluttered perfectly good threads with nonsense replys about people posting in the wrong section of the forum.

YAY! :)

:rofl-lol:
Edited by izzygirl

izzygirl, on 02 Aug 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

I didn't watch the whole trilogy, just the firt one and it was a long time ago but I remember I quite enjoyed it. I haven't seen many films of this genre but, from the ones I've seen, my favourite is Rashomon. Kill BIll got me into this kind of movies to be honest.

Rashomon is the most brilliant writing of all but Ikuru and Ran are supreme! Altho i'd recommend starting with Ran and Dreams. So many good ones, the worst one has Richard Gere!! Record of a Living Being (title unsure) is about the atomic age, very interesting may be hard to find, better to go with the best received ones.

Check out "Best of Youth" which is a tetralogy. Also "The Double Life of Veronique" fits well with the Colours trilogy. I even thought so before knowing they were the same director.

I didn't watch the whole trilogy, just the first one and it was a long time ago but I remember I quite enjoyed it. I haven't seen many films of this genre but, from the ones I've seen, my favourite is Rashomon. Kill Bill got me into this kind of movies to be honest.

Patience 4 Axl, on 30 Jul 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

This post just reminded me of another benefit to the changes. Finally we can eliminate all those annoying wannabe forum police who cluttered perfectly good threads with nonsense replys about people posting in the wrong section of the forum.

( :o)

YAY! :)

:rofl-lol:

( :o)

Edited by ohlovelyrita

TygerStryke, on 02 Aug 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Redhead74, on 02 Aug 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

This should be in the film section.

Damn fine contribution to the topic.

Are these as good as Seven Samurai?

Definitely! I kind recall "Throne of Blood" was another stand-out. Dreams (1990) is the most modern but not a fav.

Rashemon screenplay is worth a quick read.

Most feel Star Wars was based on "The Hidden Fortress"!!!

http://hollywoodhumiliation.blogspot.com/2010/03/star-wars-vs-hidden-fortress-myth.html

Kurosawa was struggling at the end of his life and had to sell out advertising Sapporo(?) beer and doing a Swatch watch. I am

happy to say that I got to attend his show at a gallery and see his art. He was a genius artist no doubt.

It is rumored a new installment in the Star Wars series will be somewhat based on Seven Samurai:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/01/star-wars-samurai-zack-snyder/

DieselDaisy, on 02 Aug 2013 - 3:37 PM, said:

Favourite Samurai films:

Kurosawa's (Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Ran etc)

The Lone Wolf and Cub series

Samurai Assassins (Mifune)

Lady Snowblood

Zatochi (the Kitano film)

13 Assassins (Takeshi Mike)

Great list. I'll check out Samurai Assassins. Not sure if i've seen this one but it sounds like a winner: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060277/

"Throne of Blood" was another stand-out.

I had just gotten thru McBeth in highschool English class, when TOB was shown on Bravo late at night one weekend. I loved every minute of it and wished they had shown us that, instead of the movie they showed us in class.

"Ran" is based on King Lear.