is the age of the movie star over?

wasted

With all the 3D action movies there seems no need for charismatic actors. Its like the movies are beamed done from nazi studio gods by passing all artistic qualities on the way. Im not opposed to the idea exactly. Its like movie stars are too much hassle and demand 50 milkion bucks. You coukd just use that money to market the movie.

I think part of it might have to do with more and leading men and women averaging over 40-50, and no one really coming up in their 20s and 30s that pack moviehouses on a consistent basis, but they're also open to doing a mix of big budget and indie flicks, which someone who's making the big money would be unlikely to do an indie film unless they were producing the film and wanted to help draw people to see it.

The studios find ways to cut corners, and one of those ways had been to do films out of the US, but tax breaks in Cali, NY, Michigan and North Carolina played a part in changing that.

The good thing is that books are still being written and adapted, more graphic novels with a following are being turned into films every year, and there's still quality screenplay writers out there working on ideas 24/7.

3D movies are still hit and miss for people (who feel like they're wearing sunglasses in a theater to some people and it dulls the color of some movies), to me, the groundbreaking moment will be when you no longer need glasses, but I heard that might still take another decade.

It reminds me of the late 90's when the record companies decided to put all of their resources behind Britney and the Backstreet Boys. They've locked themselves into a guaranteed money making formula and they won't let go until people stop going to see this shit.

Edited by Randy Lahey

I can see that utilizing the technology isnt a bad idea, but its given them this opportunity to take out human error. True if people stop going to them. But they wont because they like it, they are into the technology. I've noticed a few of the movies, even Fast n Furious dont have big stars, very 2D morality to drive the stories. Pacific Rim makes Top Gun looks like Fellini.

Guest Len B'stard

There ain't really been movie stars in that sense of the word since the50s and 60s. The actor killed the star.

Edited by sugaraylen

there were still Tom and Arnie in the 80s, maybe even Brad and Depp. Some of those guys still going. But 2000-10 there's no stars. I guess they took the event movie element of 80s movies and just made the movies so big no star is needed. I'm not even sure Downey Jr was a star before he did Iron Man. in the 90s he was a crackhead.

there were still Tom and Arnie in the 80s, maybe even Brad and Depp. Some of those guys still going. But 2000-10 there's no stars. I guess they took the event movie element of 80s movies and just made the movies so big no star is needed. I'm not even sure Downey Jr was a star before he did Iron Man. in the 90s he was a crackhead.

Tom was sort of a star in the 80s, but it's the same way you'd see Seth Rogen or Jack Black on a marquee now. He became a "star" after Sleepless in Seattle,but Ron Howard and Penny Marshall casting him in Splash & Big made him a leading man first. He did one forgotten drama in the 80s, a war era flick, but the one he did with Jackie Gleason I think put him on the radar for being able to do drama later on.

Downey Jr was still a good actor but his addiction making the news made him damaged goods in Hollywood. Downey and Charlie Sheen have a lot in common, but I think Downey likes what he does more than Charlie and doesn't get compared to his dad, because he was a cult film director. Charlie has screen presence and is quick with jokes, but I think his dark side's going to play into an Oscar win if he ever gets the right part. When you look at Downey Jr's movie history, it seems more good than bad. For Downey Jr, it was expected he'd do indie flicks because he was in that world as a baby, it didn't come across as desperate, Sheen was doing straight to video stuff for a couple of years. . I think the last one the Downeys did together was Hugo Pool.

I think actors do what they can to be versatile, but whatever it was that made movie stars out of people, it seems like Perez and TMZ showing them as "celebrities" all the time is overexposing them and it's affecting people wanting people to see them play a character. I also think the amount of award shows have become ridiculous. As actors have said, those awards are like a good dessert, but you can see on some of their faces it means way more than that.

They might be insecure. An award means maybe more work.

Those guys hanks, Downey, Charlie are all 80s/90s. But right now any actor would be swamped by Pacific Rim.

Paul Walker just seems to do Fast n furious.

Even in QT or Rodriguez movies they arent really stars. Maybe I just dont see Jamie Foxx as movie star. Channing Tatum. These are leading men?

Edited by wasted

Ryan Gosling, Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg, Michael Fassbender, Tom Hardy, Daniel Day-Lewis, Leo Di Caprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Christoph Waltz, Will Smith?

All stars.

Guest Len B'stard

There ain't really been movie stars in that sense of the word since the50s and 60s. The actor killed the star.

The bad actor.

By that i meant that after Brando there became this intense focus of actors actors and those sorts of actors are the ones that don't lend themselves to the classic star thing where they had like a series of like...iconic attributes and played certain characters really well to the point where they were forever identified with that persona, an actors actor is all about the character and if the execution of their craft is done correctly you are no longer left with those certain iconic aspects that endeared people to the stars of yesteryear.

Guest Len B'stard

They weren't really stars in the typical sense though, at least with De Niro and Pacino, they were like the actors actors, star is a term to do with a certain glamour etc, these guys were more the artists loft in Greenwich Village brigade.

Ryan Gosling, Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg, Michael Fassbender, Tom Hardy, Daniel Day-Lewis, Leo Di Caprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Christoph Waltz, Will Smith?

All stars.

Most of them are from the 90s.

Ryan Gosling and Christian Bale. I feel like Gosling is the recent one, but he's so arty. He's like the new Mickey Rourke, he just needs to do his Wild Orchid.

I don't see them as stars in the same way as tom Cruise or Arnold.

Obviously there's good actors it's just these big superhero movies don't call for much and then the robots fighting would be cooler with no humans.

It's just whether this is the trend that will destroy acting. I just can't see an Easy Rider ever happening again.

They weren't really stars in the typical sense though, at least with De Niro and Pacino, they were like the actors actors, star is a term to do with a certain glamour etc, these guys were more the artists loft in Greenwich Village brigade.

They all have a certain presence on screen that these current stars lack. You are excited to see them.