Interesting Bumblefoot Interview

Gun N' Roses

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2013/08/13/interview-guns-n-roses-guitarist-ron-bumblefoot-thal

Geeks of Doom: The band sometimes gets bad press, mostly because of the time-keeping issues and basically because some people cant handle the fact its not the same guys as in 1986. And yet Guns N Roses is arguably as popular as it has ever been and playing in parts of the world GNR has never been before. Do you feel like its a no-win situation or do you think youre helping to take the band forward?

Bumblefoot: My focus is on making music and doing positive things with my life.

Geeks of Doom: Fair enough. You recently played a couple of dates in Canada to round off some pretty hectic touring is GNR having a rest now?

Bumblefoot: GNR seems to be having a rest, but anything could change at any time. Meanwhile, Im starting to ease back into doing my own solo shows again. During the break Ive got Bumblefoot shows scheduled in August for Italy, Greece, Albania, and Tunisia. Hoping to do more in the next few months.

Geeks of Doom: You said recently you would prefer GnR to release songs one at a time rather than do a whole album. Has there been any movement on this?

Bumblefoot: I dont think thats gonna be the plan for GNR.

Geeks of Doom: Ok. What about Bumblefoot singles? Or even an album?

Bumblefoot: Eventually. Ive been wanting to. Id need to tour less. Need to somehow adjust the balance so I can make both happen!

Bumblefoot just looks, sounds and acts like a guy on his way out the door. I doubt he signs a new employment agreement with Rose when the current one expires.

While I agree, I think the problem is Ron is smart enough to know thats a dumb decision. He's kind of made a name for himself through GNR, but he knows this is a good living. Its really a tough situation. Its actually admirable that he doesn't find time to record. Shows how committed to Guns he is, when he could easily sleepwalk through this stuff at this point. I do genuinely think he's too smart to leave, despite his aspirations of really wanting to move forward, but who knows. I'll say the way he's acted all through this crap in the last few years has made me like him so much more. He just wants the best, but he's smart enough to only go so far before shutting up so that Axl doesn't kill him. It must really bug him at times.

Being in Guns n' Roses is a cool gig that lets you get your name out there, travel the world, play great music, and make a lot of money. I don't blame Bumble or any of the other guys for sticking around.

It's just that he's been in the band for SEVEN FUCKING YEARS with not one song to show for it. All the job entails is playing Slash guitar parts, as well as playing Buckethead and Finck guitar parts. Which he does quite brilliantly, I might add.

But at some point, Axl is going to have to come to his senses or people are going to start leaving again. It's inevitable.