J.D. Salinger gets dissed on twitter by famed author Joyce Carol Oates

ohlovelyrita

Salinger. The documentary includes the most exciting SPOILER possible.

I have been long looking forward to this.

Unfortunately, the trailer here is unsettling. It has the feel of MTV's "Behind the Music" or a sensationalist new magazine. However informative it might be it certainly dissects Salinger from a vulture's prospective. His story should be closer to his voice showing real care and respect for him. Instead it seems like they highlighted all things he took pains not to be paired with: his crazed fans, critics, and paparazzi.

I listen to a jazz station on NPR where an announcer always respectfully talks about the life of Salinger and I can't get enough of the stories. Just this week I find myself so envious of his writing style in "Raise high the roofbeam carpenters". His tone is so impeccable, I can hardly forgive myself for not having 1/100th of his talent.

I can hardly contain myself but hoping this is what the author wanted for his work. http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/08/there-are-five-new-jd-salinger-books-coming/68690/

Edited by ohlovelyrita

I think the writings were always meant to be released after he was gone. I'm sure there were instructions given to the estate on what to do with them, otherwise, why would he have not destroyed them himself?

To me, he didn't release anything because he didn't want to have to deal with the expectations people would have on a follow up, and having to read critics make their comments about it. He wrote a "great" book and maybe he just felt anything he'd release since then would be unfairly scrutinized and put up against it. I think there would have been a lot of supporters than he may have thought had he gone down that road.

Maybe he kept copies of his letters of people he corresponded with, or the estate's going to be trying to get people to send them copies for his archives. My guess is that at some point they'll all wind up in a university.

I think the writings were always meant to be released after he was gone. I'm sure there were instructions given to the estate on what to do with them, otherwise, why would he have not destroyed them himself?

To me, he didn't release anything because he didn't want to have to deal with the expectations people would have on a follow up, and having to read critics make their comments about it. He wrote a "great" book and maybe he just felt anything he'd release since then would be unfairly scrutinized and put up against it. I think there would have been a lot of supporters than he may have thought had he gone down that road.

Maybe he kept copies of his letters of people he corresponded with, or the estate's going to be trying to get people to send them copies for his archives. My guess is that at some point they'll all wind up in a university.

I thought usually it is 50 years past his death. The new reports say it would come out between 2015-2020.

An account here differs saying it would be 70 years past his death! I thought I had once read it was up to his children. I thought he daughter was more against it. Not sure.

"There are five unpublished short stories whose existence is well documented. At least two of these are said to be superior works. They are "The Last and Best of the Peter Pans" and "The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls". In addition to their scarcity, Mr. Salinger has placed a legal lock on these two stories prohibiting their release for seventy years after his death.

We have extensively accessed all of Salinger's short stories known to exist. Because of their relationship to "The Catcher in the Rye," we will presently concentrate on "The Last and Best of the Peter Pans" and "The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls", until time allows greater analysis of the remaining pieces. In doing so, we are respectfully aware of the author's privacy, and any reference to these materials is executed with the utmost value placed upon his wishes. While walking on eggshells, it is our attempt to shed as much light as possible on these stories without overstepping either legal or moral bounds." (the second part of the quote is useful only in naming the supposed titles).

They just can't publish it, but that doesn't mean Matt can't have a celebrity read the short stories in universities for 20 dollars a head, where the publisher and the lawyers kind of cover their ears and eyes over it. If they all thought old man Jerry was just being a prick about it, and fans should be able to have access to it somehow, they'll find a way to do it. Most of them aren't going to be around in 70 years, and they prob. didn't expect Salinger (jncluding Salinger himself) to live into his 90s when he wrote the will up.

I think people are more curious about what he wrote over the past 60 years.

He would hate this so much! Of course I'll see it, but it feels dirty. :lol:

The trailer is pretty much the worst scenes in the movie. There are no offenses to Jerry that stand out.

I'd tell you how more but I don't want to spoil anything.

The movie is essential and what's ahead is unbelievably exciting! There were moments in that were particularly elating and one revelation rocked the whole movie for me!

https://twitter.com/JoyceCarolOates

Joyce Carol Oates ‏@JoyceCarolOates 14 Sep

Yes, set beside Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Faulkner, Cather, Baldwin, Updike--of deceased, great writers--Salinger is certainly "minor."

"Minor"?!!!! Harsh and not accurate by any stretch but heard on a interview on public radio today where the radio hosts considers himself a "Salingerologist", Shane Salerno also said that something from "The Glass Family" will be the first release. He wouldn't answer if he had read any of it. :shock:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...