Recording the albums

wfuckinga

Live like a Suicide AFD and lies were a group effort. By the time of UYI, They were not really working the same way. They woud send tapes of things to each other, they didn't work as a team/gang and they were not in the studio at the same time. I'm not sure how it went for The Spaghetti Incident but because it was a record of covers, it wouldn't really matter. Chinese Democry turned out to be a long project and I know Axl put a lot into it and was on top of it but because it took so long and there

were so many people that worked on it that it was more like project with a lot of obstacles in the way.

Slash and Duff said that the UYI recording sessions were kind of a prequel to what was gonna happen in 1994. They would be down on the studio just the three, Matt, Duff and Slash and Izzy would pop in for his first takes and Axl would only show up after he'd heard the version the band recorded. I must be the only one thinking this way, but I'm glad Axl only accepted to record vocals when he felt that the take was perfect, the UYI are perfect records. It was kinda like the White Album of Guns.

Marc do you know why Izzy does not play on all the songs on UYI? Slash plays both parts on

some songs. Is it because Izzy just didn't show up or was Izzy fine with Slash doing it all?

I don't know but it could be he didn't want to play on some of the songs or maybe Slash just did it because Izzy was starting to get a bit flakey and not showing up. I just saw Mike Clink yesterday. Next time I will ask him what he knows about that.
  • Like 1

Slash and Duff said that the UYI recording sessions were kind of a prequel to what was gonna happen in 1994. They would be down on the studio just the three, Matt, Duff and Slash and Izzy would pop in for his first takes and Axl would only show up after he'd heard the version the band recorded. I must be the only one thinking this way, but I'm glad Axl only accepted to record vocals when he felt that the take was perfect, the UYI are perfect records. It was kinda like the White Album of Guns.

As much as I love the Illusion records, they are far from perfect. Izzy is way to low in the mix, the same for Slash when he plays rhythm and Matts drumming is to repetitious and bombastic. Axl went a little overboard with the sound effects,imo.

It sucks that Steven only did Cival War. I wish he could have done a few more like Perfect Crime, Back Off Bitch, Don't Cry and November Rain. I think he would have made Bad Obsession a better song to, that song is Mr. Brownstone pt 2 and being that Steven was living that life he could relate to that and the other songs alot better than Matt, adding his touch and feel along with his aggression and subtleties.

Marc do you know why Izzy does not play on all the songs on UYI? Slash plays both parts on

some songs. Is it because Izzy just didn't show up or was Izzy fine with Slash doing it all?

I don't know but it could be he didn't want to play on some of the songs or maybe Slash just did it because Izzy was starting to get a bit flakey and not showing up. I just saw Mike Clink yesterday. Next time I will ask him what he knows about that.

That is something I've always wondered about Civil War, so much was made of how messed up Steven was during the recording, that no one really noticed that Izzy didn't even make it onto the recording..... I always wondered why that was and why Steven was the guy singled out - it really was a bad move in my mind moving forward without him in some capacity - it just changed so much of the band sound & dynamic.

As much as I love the Illusion records, they are far from perfect. Izzy is way to low in the mix, the same for Slash when he plays rhythm and Matts drumming is to repetitious and bombastic. Axl went a little overboard with the sound effects,imo.

It sucks that Steven only did Cival War. I wish he could have done a few more like Perfect Crime, Back Off Bitch, Don't Cry and November Rain. I think he would have made Bad Obsession a better song to, that song is Mr. Brownstone pt 2 and being that Steven was living that life he could relate to that and the other songs alot better than Matt, adding his touch and feel along with his aggression and subtleties.

There are demos and rehearsals and the like out there & they really tell the story to me. The '86 demo of Back off Bitch, for instance, in my mind is way superior to the UYI version and a lot less effort would have went into it. After reading the above, I went back and listened to the Mate's Rehersals from '89 again, and in particular Locomotive & Bad Apples feel so much better with Adler on the drums than the Illusion versions. Obviously there are quite a few live versions of songs that ended up on UYI & Spaghetti with Adler as well.

The ones I always wanted to hear were You Could Be Mine (which a tape of must exist somewhere) and Perfect Crime which Marc has but is keeping a tight hold of.