Who are Axl's idols?

ITG

I know Axl has a lot of people he doesn't like but who out there is influential on him? Roger Waters? Or perhaps Dave Gilmour? I think a lot of his thought processes are in a black box so my guesses are as good as everyone else'. I do wonder if he builds a lot of his inexplicable behavior on the behavior of others he consciously emulates.

• Like 1

As Russ pointed out, a younger Axl made it clear who he was inspired by. in terms of Chinese Democacy however, he's been very reluctant to label anybody an influence. The only person publicly acknowledged by others as having a huge effect on Axl's mindset is Trent Reznor (though Axl himself would later pour scorn on that idea).

At the start of the century I'd speculate that Axl was interested The Prodigy, Manson, NIN, Korn - that type of style. That has definitely changed radically though.

As Russ pointed out, a younger Axl made it clear who he was inspired by. in terms of Chinese Democacy however, he's been very reluctant to label anybody an influence. The only person publicly acknowledged by others as having a huge effect on Axl's mindset is Trent Reznor (though Axl himself would later pour scorn on that idea).

At the start of the century I'd speculate that Axl was interested The Prodigy, Manson, NIN, Korn - that type of style. That has definitely changed radically though.

you're speaking of influences....they differ from idols

Are you sure? Mike Patton thinks Axl is a bit of a joke by all accounts.

"I have seen the future of rock'n'roll, and it is Faith No More." - Axl Rose

"Faith No More is by far the best band I’ve ever seen. I’m jealous" - Axl Rose

"One of Axl's minders has told Patton that Axl really likes Mr. Bungle. The minder says Axl wants to get into something heavier, more industrial. "Industrial," laughs Patton maniacally, banging the table. "That's sick!" " - NME June 1992

I think he was fascinated with some bands like FNM, Bungle and NIN at the time. Not sure if he still is.

Edited by realpoti

Great finds. I'd never read the second one before.

True that Patton probably looks down on alot of rock stars, but the original question was about who Axl idolises so it still stands.

I remember an fnm interview in kerrang right after the Metallica tour where they were quite negative about guns too. They told a story about the gnr crew filming drugged-out girls getting jiggy with eachother. Can't remember if Axl was directly dissed tho.

Major props if you can find that interview, it was a good one!

Great finds. I'd never read the second one before.

True that Patton probably looks down on alot of rock stars, but the original question was about who Axl idolises so it still stands.

I remember an fnm interview in kerrang right after the Metallica tour where they were quite negative about guns too. They told a story about the gnr crew filming drugged-out girls getting jiggy with eachother. Can't remember if Axl was directly dissed tho.

Major props if you can find that interview, it was a good one!

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/84180-mike-pattonfaith-no-more-dissing-axl-and-gnr/

Patton was bored with the whole circus thing. He was not into that stuff. He's just a guy who likes making music and taking care of his label.