One Direction's 'Midnight Memories' a rip of Def Leppard Track?

The Sandman

Heard the track whilst watching X Factor final at the weekend (I know...) - and immediately recognised it.

http://www.unrealitytv.co.uk/x-factor/one-direction-wow-midnight-memories-x-factor-2013-final-video/

"They showcased the title track from their new album Midnight Memories, though this has also been at the centre of some furore, as it was reported this month that Def Leppard are considering legal action against the group, due to similarities between the song and the rock band’s hit ‘Pour Some Sugar On Me.’"

Here's a nice little comparison:

https://soundcloud.com/the-xfm-breakfast-show/one-direction-midnight

Any thoughts?

Guest Len B'stard

I actually rate One Direction. I ain't heard none of their songs but from what I can gather from the papers they are young men that are on a mission to shag as many birds as possible, respect to em. I mean all boy bands did that but at least these lot don't do all that horrible promise ring bullshit and/or give off some image of nice wholesome whatevers like NSYNC or whatever did, they're just fuckin' arch-shaggers and lets face it, if you were in their position what would you do? :lol:

Not only that but you just see no regard for their music in any of what they do, it's almost like the whole thing is just a licence to shag for them, I think thats brilliant cuz quite frankly, if I was their age and someone said 'alright mate, we're gonna stick you in a boy band, sing a couple of these pre-fabricated plastic pop tunes for us and you'll have all the money you can spend and birds lookin' to shag you left, right and centre' i'd be like fuck art, gimme some of that! :lol: Artistic integrity?!?! I'll console myself with with a four gob blow job and a fuckin' 8 figure bank balance, thank you very much, you can keep the art :lol:

On a side note...........the song that ruined Def leppard. The success of that song turned them from a hard rock band to a pop band.

Abosuletly true. And not just into a pop band, it turned them into one of the gayest bands of all time after they kicked so much ass the first 3 or 4 years.

Finally, somebody gets it!

Usually when I say that people will go off on what a great song and album it is.

For a while, Def was one of "the" rock bands.

Songs like Sugar and Hysteria brought them huge mainstream success. And what happened after that? Multiple albums that really did nothing.

They kept chasing that pop success instead of just making great rock songs.

On a side note...........the song that ruined Def leppard. The success of that song turned them from a hard rock band to a pop band.

Abosuletly true. And not just into a pop band, it turned them into one of the gayest bands of all time after they kicked so much ass the first 3 or 4 years.

Usually when I say that people will go off on what a great song and album it is.

Songs like Sugar and Hysteria brought them huge mainstream success. And what happened after that? Multiple albums that really did nothing.

Aerosmith syndrome

LOL fuck def leppars. Like The Who, the only reason they're considering suing is to keep the name of the band in the news since not one shit is given about them anymore.

I listen to and enjoy one direction, they're a GREAT fucking band. Pour Some Sugar On Me was a shit song by a shit band. Midnight Memories is a great song by a great band.

So pleased to read these posts:

I think the exit of Willis (maybe people don't give him enough credit) was the first hit that Def Leppard's "rock" writing took, and the car accident seemed to be the turning point (between Pyromania and Hysteria). But man, those first two albums alone: Lady Strange, No No No, Rock Brigade, Hello America, Wasted, Rocks Off, It Don't Matter, Overture, It Could Be You, Let It Go, On Through The Night... it was just one great hard rock song after another. Pyro had its moments and was all around pretty good, though it marked the beginning of their demise into pop.

As for OP, I actually do not think it is that big of a rip off. The verse rhythm is a bit similar, but the melody of that riff is pretty different. As for the chorus, yes they sound similar. I can give you a list of probably 100 rock songs though that have similar sounding choruses, the 60's loved to use A-G-D-A (hell almost every era of rock has this chorus somewhere, Ten Years After, Motley Crue, Buckcherry), but no one claims that those artists ripped each other off.

One Direction is pop, and pop music generally features simple choruses, which is exactly what this is. It's not One Direction's fault Def Leppard got all poppy in 1987 and wrote a really simple chorus. Now lets say One Direction wrote a chorus that sounded a lot like Lady Strange or Hello America, that would be more problematic.

As much as I hate One Direction (and I really did not wake up today thinking I'd be defending them), I do not think this is a case of genuine musical plagiarism. If Def Leppard pursues legal action, I will lose a bit of respect for them.

Edited by OmarBradley

the whole pyromania/hysteria albums ruined def leppard, especially hysteria. i really like their first 2 albums(especially their debut)

as for the song yeah it is a definite rip off, but both songs suck equally :lol: