I had no idea this existed: AIC

ShirleyRocks

So the second album (of maybe three or four in my whole life) that I listened to for six months solid, barely letting any other music in, was Alice in Chains "Dirt" when it came out. The only other album I had listened to for that long before then was ... wait for it ... AFD (which I had on tape, until a friend shot holes in it with a BB gun while on a bender, so I had to buy another one).

Anyway, I had no idea these demos of the AIC album were released. Since Google seems to have changed its algorithms to make all search results really spammy in the last week or so, I haven't been able to find out anything about how this was released or when. Anybody?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyGd-c7yxKU

It was great to listen to this and hear how they were very much an '80s band. Layne's vocal style was very different in the early stuff and I had to ask if he was influenced by Axl in the later stuff. I shared the demo version of "Rooster" with a friend of mine (it's his favorite song) and he thought it was better than the album version. Impressive stuff. I love studio takes, even when the quality isn't great, because I think it's really interesting to sort of witness the creative process, at least in retrospect. The quality of this stuff blows me away.