Old gigs

I think that Axl always wanted everything to go well and tried to do his best for every gig. If something came up that bothered him, you would hear about it. Also right after the gig Axl could get a bit emotional because after singing the songs that he wrote sometimes would bring him back to what the lyrics are about. So sometimes he needed a little space for 5 or 10 minutes.

Edited by recklessroad

Marc, can you tell us what it was like when AnR guys started showing up to court the band? Were they excited?? Could you see them wanting to put on an even better show knowing those guys were watching??

How about when Paul Stanley showed up. I've read that they weren't very impressed except Steven. Thank God he didn't get his hands on their sound and make it more poppy sounding!!

The band didn't really change what they were doing as far as the gigs went. What they were doing was already working and they knew it. The only difference is they knew that they were going to sign with one of them and get a chance to get their music out there. They did milk it a bit as with some free dinners.

Marc, can you tell us what it was like when AnR guys started showing up to court the band? Were they excited?? Could you see them wanting to put on an even better show knowing those guys were watching??

How about when Paul Stanley showed up. I've read that they weren't very impressed except Steven. Thank God he didn't get his hands on their sound and make it more poppy sounding!!

According to Duff and Slash books they never really wanted Paul Stanley. As you said only Steven care about him because he was a big Kiss fan. In fact they made Paul´s life miserable to drive him away. To Paul´s credit he recognized the band was good and had potencial. And having Paul Stanley around them created buzz. That was a good thing.

According to Duff and Slash books they never really wanted Paul Stanley. As you said only Steven care about him because he was a big Kiss fan. In fact they made Paul´s life miserable to drive him away. To Paul´s credit he recognized the band was good and had potencial. And having Paul Stanley around them created buzz. That was a good thing.

True.

I could be wrong but wasn't it Paul Stanley who suggested they drop the part of Jungle '' and when youre high you never ever wanna come down'', to one time, instead of two, like they were doing in some of the older club shows.

Its great having some of Marcs videos to see how the band evolved. I wish there was some backstage stuff to. That would be interesting to sees how they interacted before and after a show back than.

The band didn't really change what they were doing as far as the gigs went. What they were doing was already working and they knew it. The only difference is they knew that they were going to sign with one of them and get a chance to get their music out there. They did milk it a bit as with some free dinners.

When they played in the clubs, do you think they were confident that their music was better than the other bands? Its hard to tell on video, but there must be a cool feeling knowing everybody is coming to see your band perform. And that the other bands are going to be left to figure something else out. Must have been a hell of a couple months seeing them rise up from the others.

I don´t know about Paul. But Slash is quoted in Marc´s book saying it was Alan Niven who asked them to changed WTTJ. They were recording AFD at the time.

There's a big difference between re writing and removing a verse from the song, wich was what Alan wanted to do. Paul wanted to just re do the whole thing. Quoting Slash - "He wanted to turn Jungle into a Kiss anthem".

In fairness to Paul, he turned up at Rajis which was apparently (maybe Marc can elaborate on this point) the sleaziest most disgusting club GN'R ever played in the early days. Of course Stanley was this big millionaire 'rock star bullshit' guy at this point, limos and champagne etc., and had not been in a place like that, since probably the early '70s when Kiss were first starting out in New York. But to give the guy his due, he turned up, with a blond on one, and saw GN'R play in this tiny little sweatbox.

There is a photo of Stanley and Axl in John's book which I think was from Rajis.

Slash had a bit of a feud with Paul after this when he tried to get some free stuff - amps I think - from Paul, and Paul told him to fuck off basically. Slash then states that he managed to apoligise to Paul at some award show. I think it was that show when he played with Ace at a Kiss celebration or something or other (about ten years ago).

He was always more an, 'Aerosmith guy', Slash anyways so it was no wonder he gave Paul a bit of cheekyness.