Movies v TV

wasted

Movies or TV?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think TV has been making awesome stuff lately probably more interesting than film but the best films trump the best shows. Goodfellas easily outways all 6 seasons of Sopranos and that's not even a debate imo.

Still TV as of late has had the stories and the quality has been getting better as well as the writing, acting and even directing. Hopefully they will be more Breaking Bads and The Wires in the near future.

Guest Len B'stard

Movies to me are these endless fuckin' corridor rows full of these documents of human history, I could never get truly tired of movies, it makes me feel like Augustus Gloop in the Chocolate Factory, i don't care a fuck if there are no good new ones, theres so much to the past. And the new ain't ever so bad, there's some good in there, you just gotta get at it like Angelica and dig em out cuz I know i can ask her on any given day to name me 5 movies that are recent and that are the shit and she'll drop em on me offhand. I used to make a lot of that kinda shit too, there are no good new movies being made but there really are, you've just gotta have that love for em to find em.

Guest Len B'stard

Haven't really watched much new TV in ages that ain't an English sitcom really. And even then it's certain English sitcoms...in fact pretty much only Ricky Gervais ones. I only caught The Office and Extras in 2011. All this stuff people talk about Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire, never seen none of it. Not even one episode.

Wolf of Wall Street is fucking brilliant :)

Movies to me are these endless fuckin' corridor rows full of these documents of human history, I could never get truly tired of movies, it makes me feel like Augustus Gloop in the Chocolate Factory, i don't care a fuck if there are no good new ones, theres so much to the past. And the new ain't ever so bad, there's some good in there, you just gotta get at it like Angelica and dig em out cuz I know i can ask her on any given day to name me 5 movies that are recent and that are the shit and she'll drop em on me offhand. I used to make a lot of that kinda shit too, there are no good new movies being made but there really are, you've just gotta have that love for em to find em.

of course, but if I had to choose I'd choose tv shows. I'd take The Sopranos over whatever movies came out. The Departed was good, Enter the Void was good.

I'd also want the Bilko tv series included in the package.

Haven't really watched much new TV in ages that ain't an English sitcom really. And even then it's certain English sitcoms...in fact pretty much only Ricky Gervais ones. I only caught The Office and Extras in 2011. All this stuff people talk about Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire, never seen none of it. Not even one episode.

Wolf of Wall Street is fucking brilliant :)

You should at least watch the first season of Sopranos. You must see Paulie in action.

Guest Len B'stard

It just seems so...Lite? If that makes sense? Like taking these kinda mafia movies and then making this kinda TV show around em y'know, i associate it with like...spin offs or something almost (yes, i realise these are unique characterisations in The Sopranos). Never really watched TV once i got a bit grown. Maybe if i ever had cable or sky i might but i never have and BBC1, 2, ITV and Channel 4 and generally a load of fuckin' gash. Who needs that shit in the age of the internet where i can just go on youtube and dig up something I'm interested in.

Edited by sugaraylen

I know what you mean but stuff like Sopranos is not like that, it's really as good as a movie, if not better than most movies. Each ep is like a movie. But I do prefer crime or comedy anyway. So shows like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Southland. Films are harder work and more hit and miss. Killing Them Softly was good movie. Man on Fire was amazing. There's more to movies probably, you're going to find much new stuff in tv but it's going to have a stronger story and not be filmed in some disti=urbing avant grade way. It's Nymphomaniac is good but I'm not sure I enjoyed, I had more fun watching 2 Broke Girls.

Edited by wasted

Guest Len B'stard

There's this odd distinction that i often see being made where good is not enjoyed and then something a little less than is elevated by virtue of the fact that it requires less effort on some level, which is a terrible way to trundle through your day. Then again it's entertainment innit?

yeah I think that's it, some people do just start there. I had to go through a lot of movies to finally slump on the floor in front of The Sopranos.

That's why certain movies you can't see an worth in really make money maybe, it might just be if it's on people go to see whatever The Rock is in.

I know that film has a much richer history to explore. But it's more of a snap decision it's Friday night, Justified or Nebraska, fuck it Boyd Crowder always delivers.

Fuck ER though. thought I'd just say that.

you should watch The Sopranos anyway. I think you'd like it.

Edited by wasted

Movies have no time to breathe. No time to create characters you can truly care about. Sure, there are some shit TV shows that people praise like The Walking Dead with bad writing and production values. But the good shit is worth investing in. You can digest and speculate. It's not just a 2 hour skullfuck of shit that can't have an impact without overloading or trying too hard. There is payoff in television.

Scenes like these (spoilers)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOwvr3tIWAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HuFuKiq8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUWR8wvqQw8

Edited by Broskirose

Guest Len B'stard

I heard Method Man was in one of the big recent ones, almost gave it a watch until i found out it was only a 'reoccuring character'.

I think the line between TV and movies has blurred. David Lee Roth was in The Sopranos. Steve Buscemi directed some eps in season 4.

The Sopranos has more depth than Goodfellas and works in a lot of other stuff. What you get with movies is the director's eye.

But you could argue Justified is a better adaptation of Elmore Leonard than Get Shorty is, even Jackie Brown. It's much closer in getting the tone of the books.

is Twin Peaks better than Blue Velvet?

Is Lost better than the House Bunny?

I love shows but I just don't think there's a show out there that can rival the epics in film like a Goodfellas, Gone With The Wind, The Godfather nor the action films that it has produced like Aliens, Terminator 2, Die Hard, The Matrix nor the scares that film has accomplish with The Exorcist, Dawn Of The Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Seriously I could name a ton of films that trump shows but I will agree that TV has made a huge leap the past decade or so and at the moment have the more interesting stories than mainstream films.

Edited by MEXzilla

Haven't really watched much new TV in ages that ain't an English sitcom really.

Sorry but then your opinion is worthless. Don't get me wrong, I know this is a forum and that if we only talked about what we actually know the discussion would be almost non existant but, man, you really have no idea what you're talking about. During the last 2 decades or so, TV has been ridiculing cinema. A few years ago, TV was second class, it was the ugly sister, but now it is where the quality, imagination and originality are.

Of course, there are still a bunch of good films every now and then but look at how many remakes, second parts, superheroes etc. The best actors and directors are working on TV and some of the stories made lately are already part of the collective culture. Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, The Sopranos, House of Cards, etc. They are magnificent pieces of art. The difference? Instead of 2 hours of joy, you've got 20 hours of joy.

Just, give it a try. I'm sure you will not regret.

Guest Len B'stard
Sorry but then your opinion is worthless. Don't get me wrong, I know this is a forum and that if we only talked about what we actually know the discussion would be almost non existant but, man, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

I didn't really offer up any kind of critique of it though did i, i just said I didn't watch it. The earlier plankton comment was related to most of what i see on the telly the few times I might sit in front of it, gameshows, soaps, Strictly Come Dancing all that stuff, in regard to all these new TV shows that everyone seems to like, i didn't make a comment about them one way or another except to say that I ain't seen none of em.

Sorry but then your opinion is worthless. Don't get me wrong, I know this is a forum and that if we only talked about what we actually know the discussion would be almost non existant but, man, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

I didn't really offer up any kind of critique of it though did i, i just said I didn't watch it. The earlier plankton comment was related to most of what i see on the telly the few times I might sit in front of it, gameshows, soaps, Strictly Come Dancing all that stuff, in regard to all these new TV shows that everyone seems to like, i didn't make a comment about them one way or another except to say that I ain't seen none of em.

Not any kind of critique but it's as if I say a burger tastes better than a steak when I've never eaten a steak.

The TV you watch is shitty, no wonder why you prefer movies, but, as I said, you should give a try to one of the great Tv series made of late. For example, the first episode of Boardwalk Empire was directed by Scorsese and he is one of the executive producers. Really, if you love good cinema, you will love some of those series. It's a recommendation, that's all.

Edited by Thin White Duke

TV. The format allows for more flexibility and breathing room, and at it's best, to be given years of character development...there's nothing like it. There is no question that over the last two decades, some of the best writing and filmmaking has been done on tv shows, and not only Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, True Detective etc. The current 'golden age' started with Twin Peaks in 1991, and continued through the decade with Homicide, The X-Files, American Gothic, Buffy, The West Wing, Northern Exposure, NYPD Blue, Cracker etc.

But I hate people who complain about the current state of cinema just as much as television snobs- generally speaking it's no worse than it has ever been since the seventies ended. Your asses are just too lazy to look outside the multiplex, to explore foreign regions, etc.

Voted TV, even though there's a lot of good movies out there.

I want to say the golden age of TV began in the 70's with miniseries such as Roots and Shogun. Cinema has been fighting back, in fact it remains to be going strong, the only time TV ever conquored cinema is in the late 1960's and early 1970's when attendence was so low the film industry around the world was losing more money than making them. That was when they got more violent and increased their budget beyond what television can spend. Just imagine if they comebine? Game of Thrones on a cinema budget would be awesome.

A good TV show just seems to have a lot more potential than a good movie does, for reasons already stated in this thread. Though I suppose the downside to the extra time they have to create and flesh out their characters and stories is that even the best of TV shows have plenty of questionable and/or dull moments.