The Sun Scraps Page 3!!!!!

Dazey

Well kind of. The Sun newspaper is scrapping Page 3 for a special World Cup edition! Fuckin' scandalous!!!!! <_<

Sun drops Page 3 for 20m-plus World Cup giveaway

Free mini-issue to tie in with start of contest will be distributed throughout England with the exception of Liverpool

The Sun is to give away more than 20m copies in an unprecedented World Cup push but it will not include the paper's traditional Page 3 model for fear of a marketing own-goal.

Its promotional issues will be distributed throughout England, with the exception of Liverpool, where the paper remains controversial over its coverage of the Hillsborough tragedy.

Commenting on its decision not to include a Page 3 model, a spokesman for the Sun's publisher, News UK, said: "This has absolutely no bearing on the Sun's commitment to Page 3."

The spokesman added that another Sun staple, the Dear Deidre column, was also not in the World Cup special.

David Dinsmore, the Sun's editor, last year reiterated the paper's commitment to continue publishing topless pictures on Page 3, despite pressure from anti-sexism campaigners, politicians and an online petition.

Asked by LBC presenter Nick Ferrari whether Page 3 was safe under his editorship, Dinsmore said: "It is, it is, yes I can tell you that." Dinsmore also told Ferrari that pictures of topless women was a "good way of selling newspapers".

Comedian James Corden, who guest edited the Sun earlier this year, refused to run the usual Page 3 image, choosing instead to carry a picture of himself and 11 male Sun staff in shorts.

The 24-page mini-issue will be a condensed version of the regular tabloid, featuring news, comment, along with a sport section that will have a heavy focus on the main newspaper's coverage of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Eighty per cent of the 22m copies will be distributed on 12 June, the opening day of the World Cup, while the remaining copies will be delivered on 13 June across the country.

Is it understood News UK has struck a deal with Royal Mail to deliver the copies, which will be given out in England, but not Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

The promotion across England will exclude distribution to households in Liverpool, where many have boycotted the newspaper since articles it published relating to the 1989 Hillsborough football disaster.

The free paper will be published alongside the regular paid-for issue of the Sun, which usually has a pagination of around 64 pages.

The Sun's commercial team is hoping to charge about £300,000 for a full-page advertisement in the promotional copy.

By comparison, the paid for issue of the Sun, which has a circulation of 2.1m, charges about £35,000 for a full-page advert.

"We are pleased that we can do something so big and bold in the build-up to the World Cup," said a spokesman for News UK. "We are also proud to show our ongoing commitment to printed newspapers as a way of reaching a mass audience."

The move by News UK is thought to mark the first time that a national newspaper in the UK has been given out on such a scale.

German national newspaper Bild gave out 41m copies for free in 2012 to celebrate its 60th birthday.

According to the latest census figures, there are more than 22m households in England.

Edited by Dazey

Guest Len B'stard

Can we have one thread for British hooray for tolerance!ry?

Can we have one for American too? And Norwegian? And one for German and one for Spanish and one for Australian. In fact, lets seperate the entire forum into sub- sections based on our nationalitiies?

OR...you could shut the fuck up? :D

Guest Len B'stard

Nah mate, if there was a coloured section it'd only have Sunny in it, you got white and you got black, we're just like a fuckin' sub-species basically, we'd be like the cleaners of the respective sections :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

If i carry your bags for you Mr Lith may i sit at your feet up the front? :D That JD, he's lazy and from a lower caste, he surely will pilfer your belongings sahib!

Rule No 1 of the service industry, always kiss the big white mans arse :lol:

Definitely in the old countries... not a joke either, innit? My old man always says how sickening it is that folks there have to "suck white buggers arses".

Nothing against white people here. But people in that part of the world have this fucked up anti colonialist mentality but put any white person in front of them and they'll suck more white dick than a hooker's vacuum cleaner.

So er....no juggs in the rags eh? :lol:

Can we have one thread for British hooray for tolerance!ry?

Can we have one for American too? And Norwegian? And one for German and one for Spanish and one for Australian. In fact, lets seperate the entire forum into sub- sections based on our nationalitiies?

OR...you could shut the fuck up? :D

Or...you could just stop posting in "british" and going on about how it's the greatest thing ever because you can be "clever" with the words (are you fucking serious? :facepalm:)

Guest Len B'stard

Or...you could just stop posting in "british" and going on about how it's the greatest thing ever because you can be "clever" with the words (are you fucking serious? :facepalm:)

I am not responsible for your limited grasp of the English vernacular. Lets be clear about this when you don't understand something it's reflective of your lack of a greater grasp of the language in question, I am not bound to cater for yours or anybody elses stupidity, the fact that you are lacking in the very very basic wit it requires to decipher what are often patently obvious turns of phrase is reflective of not a lot besides your own thickness.

The day yanks stop talking like yanks and using all your colloquialisms and slang (which of course we should just all know by default right?) then I'll stop using mine ;)

• Like 1

I am not responsible for your limited grasp of the English vernacular. Lets be clear about this when you don't understand something it's reflective of your lack of a greater grasp of the language in question, I am not bound to cater for yours or anybody elses stupidity, the fact that you are lacking in the very very basic wit it requires to decipher what are often patently obvious turns of phrase is reflective of not a lot besides your own thickness.

The day yanks stop talking like yanks and using all your colloquialisms and slang (which of course we should just all know by default right?) then I'll stop using mine ;)

I never said I didn't understand what you're saying. I'm saying you're annoying. And not as clever as you pretend to be. Your posts look like Axl's, the way you just ramble on with your run-on sentences while trying to throw in as many words as possible. You come off as pretentious.

Lets be clear about this when you don't understand something it's reflective of your lack of a greater grasp of the language in question, I am not bound to cater for yours or anybody elses stupidity, the fact that you are lacking in the very very basic wit it requires to decipher what are often patently obvious turns of phrase is reflective of not a lot besides your own thickness.

One sentence.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

So you understand you dont like it? Right well you know what you can do about it then, dont you? ;). I come off pretencious, you come off really uptight and tight-arsed and whiney and overly concerned with things that dont appear to be worthy of such reactions. Seriously, you kinda bitch like a little girl about this shit. What appears to be bothering you is the style in which i express myself, well believe it nor not dear I am not under any obligation to be liked by you, understood is all i care to be.

And i dont give a flying fuck if its one sentence, this is an internet forum not a fuckin' English exam, you aint too hot on the grammar yourself. Ive never claimed to be clever, quite the opposite actually and frequently so.

'I think you're annoying', oh watch me fuckin' weep :lol: seriously, you calling someone annoying, the very same person that wages online hate campaigns and follows people around the forum is calling ME annoying? :lol: Do me a favour :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen