Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Got it in the mail from preorder on Thursday... didn't get to play until today. Taking a break now. Best LOTR game ever, no competition. I haven't enjoyed a game this much since Black Flag. I'm really impressed; combat, cinematics, graphics, story, animations, etc. all are amazing - I can't really find anything wrong with this game, not yet at least.

I want to get this I might order it.

Do it.

Some more thoughts: the difficulty is pretty good, I've been killed a few times, those dame Caragors get me pretty often. The Sauron's Army system is really good, with all the power struggles, and informants, and promotions etc.. There's a nice array of quests that are different from each other (which is nice coming from just playing Skyrim). Tbh I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed that the game only takes place in Mordor (or at least I haven't gone anywhere else yet if you can), but with the reviews and sales this game is getting, I'd have to imagine a sequel will happen.

Just met Gollum for the first time last night, going to continue that quest some time this week. Anyone else have slight issue following the background of the main story? The story telling almost felt too rapid, as opposed to AC where it's too slow in the beginning. Though even with my one or two issues with the game, it's still one of the best games I've played in a while; my best game of 2014 for certain.

I've played probably close to 3-4 hours and have only done two official missions. Everything else has been taking place roaming and killing captains :lol:

Great game. A lot of Assassin's Creed aspects, and that may be why I like it so much. Not a direct clone of AC, but a lot of stuff is a lot like it. Not that that's a bad thing, though. Last game I actually played was Black Flag, anyway. Haven't been interested in anything else since.

And I agree, I'm still not sure what the hell really happened in the beginning and what's really going on, but whatever :lol:

I've played probably close to 3-4 hours and have only done two official missions. Everything else has been taking place roaming and killing captains :lol:

Great game. A lot of Assassin's Creed aspects, and that may be why I like it so much. Not a direct clone of AC, but a lot of stuff is a lot like it. Not that that's a bad thing, though. Last game I actually played was Black Flag, anyway. Haven't been interested in anything else since.

And I agree, I'm still not sure what the hell really happened in the beginning and what's really going on, but whatever :lol:

Yeah the story telling was a bit haphazard, but like you said, it's so much fun that I don't really care. Roaming and killing captains is how I've spent most of my time too. The upgrade/weapons/perks system is fairly easy to learn, it's laid out a bit oddly IMO, but once you get it, it becomes easy to follow. Definitely AC aspects, and Arkham series aspects too, but I agree it doesn't come across as direct clones. After all, AC wasn't the first game to do a stealthy assassin type anyway. I do think the "Wraith View" though is a clear rip off of "Eagle Vision."

Yeah the story telling was a bit haphazard, but like you said, it's so much fun that I don't really care. Roaming and killing captains is how I've spent most of my time too. The upgrade/weapons/perks system is fairly easy to learn, it's laid out a bit oddly IMO, but once you get it, it becomes easy to follow. Definitely AC aspects, and Arkham series aspects too, but I agree it doesn't come across as direct clones. After all, AC wasn't the first game to do a stealthy assassin type anyway. I do think the "Wraith View" though is a clear rip off of "Eagle Vision."

Yeah, I was like "Okay, I don't know what you just said and I don't know why the character is in this position, but whatever." And yeah, everything is fairly easy to learn, controls and upgrading system-wise. But overall, very happy with the game. I actually didn't even buy it - my brother did and I've been playing his copy. If he gets rid of it before I'm done, I will definitely buy it though. Totally worth a purchase.

And yes, Wraith View is definitely a rip off of Eagle Vision.

• 1 month later...

I've got about 16 hours logged, I'm pleased with how the story is progressing, it's still a bit haphazard, but it looks like it's a much longer game than I originally thought; which is a very good thing. My character is so overpowered, I have all 3 of the 2500M abilities, and most of the other abilities. Just about to link up with Torvin to find the other part of the hammer.

i need to get around to getting this. i still want an open world rpg that takes place in all of middle earth, i still cant believe it hasnt happened yet.

Well this isn't exactly what you want, but it's as close as you're gonna get. It's way more action/adventure. I was talking with a friend the other day, and we both agreed..... Middle Earth is great, really terrific... but what we want is a LOTR open world RPG in the style of Skyrim, Dragon Age, Final Fantasy, etc.. Hopefully someone will make one, someday.

For now, I'm satisfied with Middle Earth, and I'm very much looking forward to more installments in the series.

Edited by OmarBradley

• 4 weeks later...

I finished.

Sort of lackluster ending... really easy final bosses. And what's with that last line, "time for a new ring?" Hope a sequel happens, great game, but some things can be improved. Even at the end, I found myself not understanding parts of the story.... why does the Black Hand killing himself bring Celebrimbor out?