Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Tanaka out for a month. Something tells me they might have regretted not performing TJ surgery last year.

Jays win another one because solely on the back of their offence. Jays have only one won game (out of ten wins) scoring less than five runs. Seems as though if they don't score 9 or more runs, they don't win.

red sox pitching has been awful i mean really really awful. sucks tanaka is out it seemed like he was turning back into the pitcher from last year.

Yeah the Sox remind me of the teams fro the 70's where they hit a ton but would lose 11-8. I am betting they make a run for Hamel soon.

Really sucks about Tanaka but not a big surprise....... He should bite the bullet and have surgery and get it over with. Nova will be back May/June so hopefully they can stay competitive without burning out the bullpen. One thing Girardi is good at is managing his pitchers so we will see.

I think the Sox eventually pull the trigger on Hamels. Amaro said he'd "get creative" in a deal and eat salary. The sox don't need him to do that, just move off the idea that he's getting Betts or Swihart. Boston's farm system is loaded and i wouldnt be mad if they designed a package around Rodriguez or Owens. It just makes too much sense at this point for both teams.

I think the Sox eventually pull the trigger on Hamels. Amaro said he'd "get creative" in a deal and eat salary. The sox don't need him to do that, just move off the idea that he's getting Betts or Swihart. Boston's farm system is loaded and i wouldnt be mad if they designed a package around Rodriguez or Owens. It just makes too much sense at this point for both teams.

If I was Amaro I would hold out for one of the two prospects you mentioned if the Sox want Hamels. I don't think he will have a lack of suitors so the Sox may have to ante up as I can't see them winning the division with the current pitching staff. Also JMO but they need more than just a stud starter like Hamels as their bullpen is a problem as well I think. :shrugs:

Wish I could see the game at Baltimore today. No fans. Will there be a pa announcer, will they play the intro music for the home team batters, will there be an organist? I hope someone from Baltimore hits 2 dingers and then comes out for a curtain call to an empty stadium.

I kinda hope baltimore has vendors just walking up and down the aisles in silence. that would up the weird factor

Classicrawker you are correct on the Sox bullpen. They need to do triage on their pitching situation as a whole. In regards to Hamels though I am struggling to think who else fits the criteria for Hamels. They need to have prospects, financial flexibility and need to be a contender. he has a no trade clause. The Rangers come to mind but theyre not in contention. The Cardinals maybe but they generally dont make trades like that. Could Billy Beane step in? Maybe. The Dodgers will always be mentioned but I think that'd be a dumb move for them. Andrew Friedman doesn't play like that. To me the Sox simply fit all the criteria. The Padres possibly too given Preller's freewheeling ways.

Edited by bt88

Cubs have won 4 in a row and are off to their best start since 2008, when they were the best team in baseball. All this while Russell hasn't caught on yet, Lester is finding his stride, and things generally feel clunky. Special things are happening in Chicago, and with Wainright out in St. Louis, the Central is wide open.

Better hope that Adrian Gonzales doesn't have any Steve Garvey in him.

I kinda hope baltimore has vendors just walking up and down the aisles in silence. that would up the weird factor

Classicrawker you are correct on the Sox bullpen. They need to do triage on their pitching situation as a whole. In regards to Hamels though I am struggling to think who else fits the criteria for Hamels. They need to have prospects, financial flexibility and need to be a contender. he has a no trade clause. The Rangers come to mind but theyre not in contention. The Cardinals maybe but they generally dont make trades like that. Could Billy Beane step in? Maybe. The Dodgers will always be mentioned but I think that'd be a dumb move for them. Andrew Friedman doesn't play like that. To me the Sox simply fit all the criteria. The Padres possibly too given Preller's freewheeling ways.

Don't rule out the Cubbies and the Jays............The Cubbies have the prospects and have shown a willingness to spend and the Jays are always willing to make a blockbuster and need pitching.. Not denying the Sox are the logical landing place but I think Amaro has options

Don't rule out the Cubbies and the Jays............The Cubbies have the prospects and have shown a willingness to spend and the Jays are always willing to make a blockbuster and need pitching.. Not denying the Sox are the logical landing place but I think Amaro has options

The Cubs won't go for Hammels. Too much money, not enough output left in him. Just not worth the Phils' asking price. If we were going to make a big splash, it would have been signing up Scherzer on top of Lester in the offseason. No sense selling off the farm for an over-the-hill overrated ace. We already have an overrated ace, and he's not even over the hill yet.

Cubs have won 4 in a row and are off to their best start since 2008, when they were the best team in baseball. All this while Russell hasn't caught on yet, Lester is finding his stride, and things generally feel clunky. Special things are happening in Chicago, and with Wainright out in St. Louis, the Central is wide open.

I mostly just hope that the Cubs don't have too much 1984 Cubs in them...

My parents have always told me about going to the first Cubs-Padres game in 1985, so my immediate association with Garvey's name is the "Garvey sucks!" chant that went on for the whole game. Gonzalez has a less chantable name, so we better win.

I dont think Hamels is washed up right at this moment His peripherals are still good. By the end of that contract? yeah that will be a problem. Hell even in like 2 years maybe. So youre right there is risk. But if youre in "win now" mode, lijke he's the piece you need, he's not a bad play in a vacuum. But as a few have pointed out, Amaro's asking price is currently too high. From the cubbies he probably wants Schwarber. But wouldnt you do it if it was built around Baez?

Also isnt someone here a Reds fan? Will Cueto be in play this year? If I'm a team like the Sox or Cubs, I'm trying to go all in on Cueto if I can. Yeah he'd be a rental but man what a rental. of course the A's last year didn't make the idea of rentals look appealing, but still....

Edited by bt88

If I could build a deal around Baez, I'd think about it depending on what Russell looks like as deadline season approaches. But I'd still be apprehensive. He's not over the hill yet, but I do think he's oretty sorely overrated already.

The Cubs won't go for Hammels. Too much money, not enough output left in him. Just not worth the Phils' asking price. If we were going to make a big splash, it would have been signing up Scherzer on top of Lester in the offseason. No sense selling off the farm for an over-the-hill overrated ace. We already have an overrated ace, and he's not even over the hill yet.

I mostly just hope that the Cubs don't have too much 1984 Cubs in them...

My parents have always told me about going to the first Cubs-Padres game in 1985, so my immediate association with Garvey's name is the "Garvey sucks!" chant that went on for the whole game. Gonzalez has a less chantable name, so we better win.

I remember my parents letting me stay home from school to watch some of that series.

And Garvey was my favorite player from his Dodger days.

Magical times.

How do you Yankees fan rate AROD's season so far? You're happy or unhappy with his results?

5 homers and 13 RBI in 20 games is really good.

A 230 batting average and 23 strike outs in 20 games is piss poor.

Considering his high salary - are you happy with his season?

How do you Yankees fan rate AROD's season so far? You're happy or unhappy with his results?

5 homers and 13 RBI in 20 games is really good.

A 230 batting average and 23 strike outs in 20 games is piss poor.

Considering his high salary - are you happy with his season?

Considering I expected nothing from him he has been a surprise and still commands respect from opposing pitchers.

Of course he is not worth the money but considering they are stuck with him unless he retires I think the Yank s could live with 20+ hrs and 80 rbis if h e stays healthy puts up those numbers.

• Like 1

i agree with CR i thought he wouldnt give us anything. if he hits 15-20 bombs i would be ecstatic.

Even hitting 230 and striking out more than once per game?

He hasn't been super productive, but he hasn't been unproductive. Reggie Jackson had a shit batting average and struck out a lot too. ARod is on pace for 30 HR and 140+ RBIs. That's fine, whatever shitty average he puts up in the process.

i agree with CR i thought he wouldnt give us anything. if he hits 15-20 bombs i would be ecstatic.

Even hitting 230 and striking out more than once per game?

He hasn't been super productive, but he hasn't been unproductive. Reggie Jackson had a shit batting average and struck out a lot too. ARod is on pace for 30 HR and 140+ RBIs. That's fine, whatever shitty average he puts up in the process.

exactly

with his age and his skills deteriorating he needs to guess a lot more, and he was always a guess type of hitter in the first place. he needs to cheat a little bit on the inside fastball to catch up to it and that leaves him vulnerable to breaking stuff and pitches on the outside of the plate. so its going to be an ebb of flow type of thing for this season(if he stays healthy) where he will strike out alot and ground out but there will be times where he drives the ball for homeruns and doubles.

Edited by bran

Our residential cheater (Braun) just hit 2 homers, including a grand slam. Doubled his homers and RBI's to 4 and 10 respectively. Unfortunately his salary jumps to $20+ mil I think after this season...so we're fucked.

As much as it pains me to say this the Cubs are certainly going to win the NL Central going forward, even if it's not this year.

Our residential cheater (Braun) just hit 2 homers, including a grand slam. Doubled his homers and RBI's to 4 and 10 respectively. Unfortunately his salary jumps to $20+ mil I think after this season...so we're fucked.

As much as it pains me to say this the Cubs are certainly going to win the NL Central going forward, even if it's not this year.

i wonder if a team would jump at a braun deal and eat some of his salary. if only the dodgers needed an outfielder :lol:

Yanks win 2 pitchers duels at Fenway.......who would have thunk it!

Man, Betances is just a beast. he makes quality ML hitters look helpless with his stuff. Yanks pen has been unhittable this yearso far.

Have to say the Yanks have been a pleasant surprise this year. I know it is early but I am enjoying it while it lasts.

• Like 1

Yanks win 2 pitchers duels at Fenway.......who would have thunk it!

Man, Betances is just a beast. he makes quality ML hitters look helpless with his stuff. Yanks pen has been unhittable this yearso far.

Have to say the Yanks have been a pleasant surprise this year. I know it is early but I am enjoying it while it lasts.

betances is just nasty i mean truly unhittable stuff, loved the way he just toyed with napoli :lol: