Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

I think Chris Young is due to regress. As is Tex's power. The bullpen though? Not so much. As long as those guys stay healthy that could be one of the strongest pens in the league all year. I have no idea how you hit Betances. 97mph then to a nasty curve.

What about the SPs though? Can Pineda do this all year? Eovaldi has been good but his fly ball % is currently below his career average. Does that speak to technique change or is that going to correct itself and lead to more HRs?

Brewers take 2/3 from the Cubbies in Chicago, manager gets rewarded with a big ol' pink slip. I mean yeah, the Brew Crew have been utter and total fucking shit so far, but really? This is when you fire the guy? Why not do it before the series?

• Like 2

Brewers take 2/3 from the Cubbies in Chicago, manager gets rewarded with a big ol' pink slip. I mean yeah, the Brew Crew have been utter and total fucking shit so far, but really? This is when you fire the guy? Why not do it before the series?

He was pissed with the timing of it, too. He's made that pretty clear.

The bright side of this? The Crew hired Craig Counsell! Literally one of a few people I'd actually like to manage this team.

• Like 1

The bright side of this? The Crew hired Craig Counsell! Literally one of a few people I'd actually like to manage this team.

I hope the entire team adopts his crazy-as-fuck batting stance. I will never forget watching him twist like a contortionist when I was a kid.

Funny looking though he was at the plate, he has one of the great baseball minds of his generation. He's a Girardi type - never the most talented guy on the field, but goddamn if he didn't do everything he possibly could with the talent God gave him. Glad he's going to stay in the game.

Also, this is my favorite Onion sports article ever: http://www.theonion.com/article/turns-out-craig-counsell-was-actually-best-basebal-6581

• Like 1

I hope the entire team adopts his crazy-as-fuck batting stance. I will never forget watching him twist like a contortionist when I was a kid.

Funny looking though he was at the plate, he has one of the great baseball minds of his generation. He's a Girardi type - never the most talented guy on the field, but goddamn if he didn't do everything he possibly could with the talent God gave him. Glad he's going to stay in the game.

Also, this is my favorite Onion sports article ever: http://www.theonion.com/article/turns-out-craig-counsell-was-actually-best-basebal-6581

Holy shit that was great :lol:

I believe he went like 0-55 or something crazy like that towards the end of his career. The longest (or maybe second longest) streak in history. I'll always remember him for his game winning WS runs, but that along with his weird batting stance always sticks out for me.

great sweep for the yankees. miller had a rough 9th but got it done.

so far this year betances/miller

28 ip 9h 0 er 48k

batters against millers slider.....

0 for 50 35k

The Yankees are full of surprises sweeping the Sox for the first time since 2006. As much as I am enjoying this early season run I worry that the bullpen is going to get worn out if we don't get more length from our starters.

Can't see the pen holding up if we continuously only get 5-6 innings out of our starters.

Was watching the Sox pitcher Kelly pitch and he reminds me a lot of Eovaldi for the Yanks. Throws incredibly hard but just does not have the command to harness that FB. Also heard he is in love with his fastball, like Eovaldi, and thinks he needs to strike every batter out but neither are strike out pitchers due to lack of command.

The Cardinal's don't usually give up on a young talent like Kelly so I wonder if they finally got frustrated and traded him while he still had a lot of value? Also makes me wonder if he would be better off in the bullpen where he only would have to pitch a an inning at time and could just let it loose?

The Sox pitching is just terrible. How soon before Cherington bites the bullet and starts strip mining the Minors to trade prospects for Hamels or Cueto, maybe another starter, and some bullpen help? Don't see the Sox going too far without getting some quality pitching.

So Sox fans who would you rather have? Cueto is 2 years younger than Hamels but is a FA after this season and most likely will be looking for Scherzer money. Hamels in under contract for 3 more years and even though he is struggling this year he has not pitched that badly for a really bad team.

Edited by classicrawker

Cardinals sweep the Pirates. 12 games over .500. Not bad since Wainright is out for the year. 4 and 1/2 games up on the Cubbies with a series starting tonight. Offense is weak, but the pitching has been outstanding.

hamels would be mediocre in the AL east IMO. a mid 4 era in his career vs the american league IIRC.

Perhaps but he is quality pitcher, signed for 3 more years and could be their ace. It might take better prospects to pry him from the Phils as he has a 3 more years on his contract though

Cueto may be a stud but he is a FA after this year and might want Scherzer money if he has a good year so might be 1 year rental with no compensation if he signs elsewhere under the new rules. That being said he should take lesser quality prospects to get him if the Reds decide to move him.

Either way IMHO I think the Sox need to make a big move for some pitching if they have any hope of winning it all this year. Even if they make it to the playoffs I can't see them going far without a stud starter or two and a few relievers. Could be tough to remake their staff in season.

hamels would be mediocre in the AL east IMO. a mid 4 era in his career vs the american league IIRC.

Perhaps but he is quality pitcher, signed for 3 more years and could be their ace. It might take better prospects to pry him from the Phils as he has a 3 more years on his contract though

Cueto may be a stud but he is a FA after this year and might want Scherzer money if he has a good year so might be 1 year rental with no compensation if he signs elsewhere under the new rules. That being said he should take lesser quality prospects to get him if the Reds decide to move him.

Either way IMHO I think the Sox need to make a big move for some pitching if they have any hope of winning it all this year. Even if they make it to the playoffs I can't see them going far without a stud starter or two and a few relievers. Could be tough to remake their staff in season.

it is not looking good for the Sox. Hopefully Hanley's injury is minimal. Thing is, would an "ace" even solve the problems at this point? Kelly, bucholz and Miley have been pretty bad, so it'd take more than one guy. I say bring Rodriguez up already

it is not looking good for the Sox. Hopefully Hanley's injury is minimal. Thing is, would an "ace" even solve the problems at this point? Kelly, bucholz and Miley have been pretty bad, so it'd take more than one guy. I say bring Rodriguez up already

I agree 100% in that I am not sure Hamels or Cueto are the solution to the Red Sox pitching woes at this point as they need more then just one stud starter. I was listening to the local Boston sports station WEEI this morning and the talking heads were debating whether it is even worth giving up top prospects for one of the stud starters when the Sox pitching has so many holes to fill. You have to believe the pitching will get better with time but would Hamels or Cueto be enough to stabilize things and make the Sox competitive? Now with Ramirez hurt it is going to be tougher to score runs as well. Tough times in Boston right now.

Nice win by the Jays last night beating Betances. It was only a matter of time before he gave up a run or two so can't be too disappointed. Hats off to Russell Martin with a clutch hit. I always liked that guy and was sorry to see him leave NY.

That being said Really nice start by Whitely. Hopefully he will remain serviceable with Tanaka out

• Like 1

arod hits homerun 661 passing willie mays.

Ballgame over....thuhhhhhhhh Yankees Win!!!!! If you're a Yankee fan you gotta love John Sterling announcing a Yankee win......

Up there with Harry Carey yelling "Holy cow" or Jack Brickhouse shouting "Hey hey!" It's a wonderful sound, whether you like the team or not.

Are people starting to...:gulp:....like A Rod?

Living well is the best revenge. And frankly, this might be just as well. Have a couple strong clean seasons to rehab the image, and maybe he can get his Hall call after all. I don't like him as a person, but I do enjoy good baseball, and if he plays good baseball, that's all good.

Ballgame over....thuhhhhhhhh Yankees Win!!!!! If you're a Yankee fan you gotta love John Sterling announcing a Yankee win......

He's the worst.

"He sent a Tex message! Huh-huh. You're on the mark, Teixera!" :facepalm:

He's the worst.

"He sent a Tex message! Huh-huh. You're on the mark, Teixera!" :facepalm:

If you are not a Yankee fan I can absolutely understand why you would hate the guy, as he is as goofy as they come, but all the Yankee fans I know love the guy. It is a homer thing I guess. :shrugs:

For me there are no sweeter words then John S delivering his classic line after a Yankee win

Inning over, Ballgame over, Yankees win!, Thuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yankees Winnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5hK90Itwb8

That being said they said the same thing about Phil Rizzuto when he was the Yankee announcer and the man is legendary to most Yankee fan.......

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1