Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Nice sweep of the Astros by the Jays. Shame every other team in the AL East won yesterday. Yankees and the Jays are on a roll right now. Shame it won't be until August when the two teams see each other again.

Nice sweep of the Astros by the Jays. Shame every other team in the AL East won yesterday. Yankees and the Jays are on a roll right now. Shame it won't be until August when the two teams see each other again.

I watched the last few Jays games. Man, can they hit. I don't want his contract, but Reyes reminded me why I was so devastated when he left the Mets.

I watched the last few Jays games. Man, can they hit. I don't want his contract, but Reyes reminded me why I was so devastated when he left the Mets.

Crazy thing is that they have yet to field their original starting lineup, and many of their most offensively potent players are either playing hurt or have spent some considerable time on the DL (Reyes being a fine example).

I suppose most teams deal with this problem, but still impressive they're able to score so many runs despite their injury woes.

I guess you didn't mind when the Jays took two of three from the Nationals last week. The NL East isn't looking anymore impressive than the AL East.

Nice walk-off homerun by EE last night. 7 in a row for the Jays and they just pulled even at .500. Too bad the Yankees seem to be just as hot.

Impressive that Heston throws a no-hitter in his rookie season. Some teams just never seem to have to go through that rebuilding phase like the rest of the league.

Very true...

BTW, anyone think they should make the first pitch of the game the actual first pitch? Snoop Dogg threw out the first pitch in Toronto yesterday and I always thought it would be great if the celebrity or whoever who throws out the first pitch actually pitched to the opposing team.

Very nice win by the Yankees last night beating Scherzer. It was a great pitching duel and lived up to the pregame hype.

Tanaka looks like the CY Young contender he was last year, until he got hurt, but it is hard to believe he will make it through the season healthy.

The Yankees may becoming to a crossroads with Pineda as he is over 70 innings already and has not pitched 100 innings the last two seasons. They are already looking at skipping starts to limit his innings but really how many more starts will they give him before the have to shut him down for the season?

One bit of good news is Ivan Nova made his first rehab start at Class A Tampa yesterday and looked good.

He pitched 4.2 innings giving up 3 hits, no walks, and 1 earned run

Here is a report from a scout that was in today's NY Post newspaper

And this is what a scout who watched Ivan Nova pitch Monday at Single-A Tampa in his first rehab start since Tommy John surgery said: “His velocity was 92-95 [mph] and he pitched consistently at 93-94. His cutter was 89-91. He had great arm speed on his changeup. He hit both sides of the plate consistently. His mechanics were great. The stuff across the board and command were excellent. He looked like a big, strong, healthy starter ready to help.”

So help may be on the way. So do the Yanks go to a 6 man rotation to limit Pineda's and Tanaka's innings? Will be interesting to watch.

The Jays pitching feels like its coming around enough to the point where it can not give up the huge leads the offense will give it. if they can just get even marginal pitching they can take that division. If I were a Jays fan I'd be pulling my hair thinking about it honestly.

Sporting News did a "top 30 GMs" and Anthropolous was dead last. I dont know if he's worse than Amaro, but he has not built a quality pitching staff, Stroman injury or not.

I feel like I crap on the Twins a lot here, but Jonah Keri of Grantland made a good case for their possible regression....or them riding this cluster luck into the playoffs. I'd bet on the former over the latter

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mlb-the-30-white-sox-tigers-twins-cardinals-future/

Edited by bt88

Andrew Miller being sent to the DL. Yankees have been winning a lot of close ball games lately. Wonder how will they'll fair without their closer.

They have Betances who will step right in. Wilson will step into the 8th inning slot so they should not miss a beat.

Time for Matt Harvey to mature from a thrower to a pitcher.

Did you see him on the Daily Show last week? I liked how Stewart put a mini-police barricade around his arm.

I didn't see it, but I heard it was pretty funny. I worry about the hype. Good thing we have 4 other guys who are just as good. :lol:

wade miley and john farrell got into a very heated argument tonight after miley gave up 5 runs and farrell pulled him from the game, they then both walked down the tunnel to the clubhouse. like i said shit is going to boil over in boston soon.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/06/11/red-sox-pitcher-wade-miley-blew-up-on-manager-john-farrell-in-dugout/

Edited by bran

I'd like to think that bodes well for the Jays who are arriving in Boston tonight to play a three game set, but I've learned a long time ago to never expect anything when it comes to the Jays. They'll probably get swept.

I'd like to think that bodes well for the Jays who are arriving in Boston tonight to play a three game set, but I've learned a long time ago to never expect anything when it comes to the Jays. They'll probably get swept.

Boston is a train wreck right now. Their pitching is a mess and they are not hitting. With your offense you should be able to score some runs and if you get half way decent pitching I like your chances.

wade miley and john farrell got into a very heated argument tonight after miley gave up 5 runs and farrell pulled him from the game, they then both walked down the tunnel to the clubhouse. like i said shit is going to boil over in boston soon.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/06/11/red-sox-pitcher-wade-miley-blew-up-on-manager-john-farrell-in-dugout/

On ESPN today they both said it was just in the heat of battle and it was no big deal. If Boston continues to struggle I think Farrell will end up the sacrificial lamb before too long. After finishing last in the division last year I don't think he can survive another sub .500 finish. I feel for the guy as he was handed a misfit team and expected to make them a contender. Cherington also might get the boot but if I was a Sox fan I would blame upper Management and the owner as from what I have heard they let Lester walk, when he was willing to give them a hometown discount, and pressured Cherington to make a big splash this past off season to make the club sexier. He ended up putting together a starting rotation of #4/5 starter with no real ace, did not address the bullpen, overpaid for an overrated Sandoval and signed a malcontent in Ramirez without a position for him to play.

As a Yankee fan living in Red Sox nation it is fascinating to read the local papers and listen to local sports radio. Now Sox fans understand what the Bronx Zoo during the King George days must have been like.

Edited by classicrawker