Difference in tempo between Adler/Sorum drumming (Mr.Brownstone)

Steven has a looser way of playing. Matt is a hard hitter and much tighter. He's more traditional than Steven too. I'd wager that at some point Matt has had lessons/professional training whereas Steven hasn't.

exactly, steven has said that he learned a lot by himself hitting buckets at home etc

Steven has a looser way of playing. Matt is a hard hitter and much tighter. He's more traditional than Steven too. I'd wager that at some point Matt has had lessons/professional training whereas Steven hasn't.

That is why Matt's drumming lack any originality

the funny thing is Steven is more original than Sorum while Matt is clearly technically better than Adler

Yes, Steven is not irreplaceable, but still more enjoyable on the AFD tracks

I wouldn't say Matt lacks originality. He kinda plays a Lars Ulrich/Black Album type role on the Illusions. Guides the songs and etc. It wouldn't work having a guy playing this off time beats all over the shop. GN'R isn't that sort of band. And in Matt's defense GNR's style as a whole changed on the Illusion albums too. For some of the songs he really fit. He does play some good stuff here and there.

I'd love to hear what Freese could of done. He manages to find space in songs and can hold the fort down while doing interesting things. Listen to the A Perfect Circle stuff for reference. Judith and Orestes are brilliant.