Difference in tempo between Adler/Sorum drumming (Mr.Brownstone)

Okay first of all I want to make clear - I don't intend this to be a "who is better" thread, because God I've read enough of those tedious arguments for one lifetime! Always with the same shit, 'Steven has great swing but sloppy' 'Matt is steady like a robot but no soul' etc etc etc....

What I am interested i here is just what a big difference there is in the actual speed that they drummed certain songs - and that Steven often played stuff wayy faster than Matt. Why is this? I checked out the bpm of a selection of Mr.Browstone recordings, and whilst Matt pretty much always plays it at about 107 bpm (by my measurement) Steven's was on average about 120 bpm. But below I've posted 2 examples which have such vastly different speeds, it's like they are different songs! Matt playing it in Prague 1992 at a very slow 104 bpm, as opposed to Steven at Giants Stadium 1988, drumming the same song at a roadrunner 130 bpm !? That is a vast difference. Steven always played it a lot faster... anyone have any sensible answers as to why this is? Any drummers here have input on this subject?

Just listen to the speed of the drumming on these intos: Matt @ 104 bpm / Steven @ 130 bpm !

MATT 104 bpm

STEVEN 130 bpm

I wonder if it ever had to do with still becoming well known and playing as an opening band that's rushimg to play as many song's as possible compared to sorum never going through that with guns. I've noticed the slower pace too and that he hits the drums very hard. Remember though Steven used to play an even much much faster pace with double drums before gnr. Man I miss the old lineup.

The way i see it is Sorums drumming comes from the tradition of the blues shuffle, as most metal drumming does, its just it appears to've been played by people without the requisite groove to get the shit right so it just comes across hard and dense, which it's supposed to be i suppose, in keeping with the music. Adlers drumming is more like soul and funk drumming, bouncey etc

The way i see it is Sorums drumming comes from the tradition of the blues shuffle, as most metal drumming does, its just it appears to've been played by people without the requisite groove to get the shit right so it just comes across hard and dense, which it's supposed to be i suppose, in keeping with the music. Adlers drumming is more like soul and funk drumming, bouncey etc

Adler's got a bit of a disco thing going on

I prefer it slower like Sorum played it. Lets the groove of the riff stand out more. Sped up like Adler plays it there makes it lose the whole groove of the song.

This.

Btw, good thread, OP!

Cocaine.

This song exhibits the Bo-Diddley beat originally created by Bo Diddley. This beat is often-used in many rock songs starting from the 1960s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Diddley#The_Bo_Diddley_beat

This has nothing to do with coke

Cocaine.

Steven got/gets excited and starts speeding up.

Nein. See above.

nein

Bo Diddley beat

Don't be a smart ass

just because they were junkies it doesn't mean everything in their music/playing related to drugs

Steven has a looser way of playing. Matt is a hard hitter and much tighter. He's more traditional than Steven too. I'd wager that at some point Matt has had lessons/professional training whereas Steven hasn't.

Steven has a looser way of playing. Matt is a hard hitter and much tighter. He's more traditional than Steven too. I'd wager that at some point Matt has had lessons/professional training whereas Steven hasn't.

That is why Matt's drumming lack any originality

the funny thing is Steven is more original than Sorum while Matt is clearly technically better than Adler

Yes, Steven is not irreplaceable, but still more enjoyable on the AFD tracks

Cocaine.

This song exhibits the Bo-Diddley beat originally created by Bo Diddley. This beat is often-used in many rock songs starting from the 1960s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Diddley#The_Bo_Diddley_beat

This has nothing to do with coke

Cocaine.

Steven got/gets excited and starts speeding up.

Nein. See above.

nein

Bo Diddley beat

Don't be a smart ass

just because they were junkies it doesn't mean everything in their music/playing related to drugs

Was just being funny :)