Famous Swiss cartoonist Zep caricaturates Axl

What does the actual narration say?

No one thought rock would live this long... and that there'd be no retirement for rockstars. That's why there's costumes... that don't fit too well with old age. Hum. Would you let your grandmother date Ron Wood? The show must go on... but okay. One word of advice to the young starting out in rock. Do what Jack White did: go for an old look. 'You'll be all ready for 2050.'

Or something similar.

IMO this is blatant ageism and not satire. Like it or not we are all going to get old. I have a pretty sick sense of humour, but I think these caricatures crossed a line. I find them to be somewhat offensive to all the rock stars, not just Axl. my .02

They are actually much clever cartoons than your girlish, ''somebody is being mean''. If anything you could argue it is a commentary upon the fact that the biggest selling popular live artists are basically the same acts that were around in the 1980s, 1970s, 1960s. And it is a fair point. What are the biggest live rock acts? In loosely descending order, Stones, AC/DC, Sabbath (reunion), Kiss, Axl - and some who are not in that cartoon such as Springsteen, Waters and Aerosmith. The live arena/stadium rock scene is virtually identical to the scene in those former decades. Rock at some stage became fossilised and now exists as a sort of museum collection of wrinkly specimens that the public peruse with a strange but awkward reverence (after emptying their wallets at the door). There is nothing reinvigorating about the genre.

That is quite a profound point about the state of the rock industry. So are you also saying that Madonna is in the same league as those guys? She was the only female to be included. I still think the pictures are a bit too mean spirited to be true satire. but we can agree to disagree.

Edited by Little EMO Annie

Certainly. Madonna is still cavorting provocatively on the dance floor despite being in her late 1950s! The only caveat is, the pop live scene has had a much larger intake of fresh artists who have reached her stature as live acts, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, etc. The rock genre does not possess this.

Certainly. Madonna is still cavorting provocatively on the dance floor despite being in her late 1950s! The only caveat is, the pop live scene has had a much larger intake of fresh artists who have reached her stature as live acts, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, etc. The rock genre does not possess this.

David Bowie.

At each stage the rock scene has been reinvigorated with new blood. You might argue Nirvana and grunge, Oasis and Britpop (mostly in Britain) - even numetal which I think is a horrible genre but it was certainly something which was new and economically sccessful. At some stage this pool ran dry however. Now even the numetal acts are ''golden oldies revival'' acts haha.

In some ways the entire live scene has become like a gigantic Los Vegas.

David Bowie.

Really looking forward to going to NYC next month to see the off Broadway debut of his new musical LAZARUS. It's going to feature new music.

At each stage the rock scene has been reinvigorated with new blood. You might argue Nirvana and grunge, Oasis and Britpop (mostly in Britain) - even numetal which I think is a horrible genre but it was certainly something which was new and economically sccessful. At some stage this pool ran dry however. Now even the numetal acts are ''golden oldies revival'' acts haha.

In some ways the entire live scene has become like a gigantic Los Vegas.

Sad but true about there being no new blood in the rock music scene.Was kinda cool that Paul McCartney was the heADLINER for Lollapalooza this past summer.