Tommy Stinson: It Took A Lot Out Of Axl To Finish Chinese Democracy

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I neither specified a tour nor a date so incorrect.

I think the time frame speaks for Itself considering you responded to my post and I was referring to the current tour. Anyway you never answered my question. Since you know that he has not lost an ounce, what did he weigh before the tour started compared to what he weighs now?

4 minutes ago, ironmt said:

I think the time frame speaks for Itself considering you responded to my post and I was referring to the current tour. Anyway you never answered my question. Since you know that he has not lost an ounce, what did he weigh before the tour started compared to what he weighs now?

Amazingly, I do not keep a log of Axl's weight!

I was more referring to 2011-14. It was actually a flippant aside - I wouldn't worry about it unless you are prickly about such topics as Axl's flubber.

• Like 1

Tommy's just trying to stay positive in the way he discusses GnR, and I think it's to his credit that he does that. Everyone knows it's not really his kind of music but he appreciates what a good thing it was for his career and his life. So he's not going to come out now and say anything negative about the way Axl works.

• Like 1

As I have been saying for years, during the Chinese era Axl worked on a hell lot more songs than the 14 we got so I always felt I can't really evaluate the Chinese era properly till we hear that other Chinese stuff even Axl and dozens of others have mentioned exists over the years. This is just purely the music/artistic side I'm talking about of course. With that said the business side of the CD era was horrible in particular everything post release November 2008.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ironmt said:

The guy Is far from lazy. As a matter of fact almost everyone that has worked with him  has complimented him on his exceptional work ethic. You also do not drip buckets of sweat for 3 hours every other night If you are "lazy". As far as him being an obsessive perfectionist, well that Is another story and you may be on to something.

A guy that records 1 album after 15 years is not what anyone would call prolific. It'll be nearly 10 years since Chinese Democracy dropped in a year and a half. His output is even worse than Michael Jackson when he was alive. MJ was also infamous for tinkering in the studio and never releasing shit. 

Axl is a professional (for the most part anyway) and he gives 100% when he's touring. The problem is that he is notorious for not showing up to band rehearsals and jamming songs with his band. This is the opposite of having a good work ethic. It also explains why 90% of the old and nu band quit -- the dude never did shit with any of the work they submitted to him. Duff left because he was sick of jamming in the studio alone. Finck quit because he was sick of working on Instrumental #42. Buckethead quit because the band hadn't released anything in the 3 years he had been there. Josh Freese quit because after 2 years he felt Axl was nowhere near releasing anything and he didn't want to wait around forever. There is a pattern emerging here.

Maybe the process of putting together music is difficult for Axl because he doesn't enjoy making new music. It's definitely a plausible explanation for why it takes decades to get any new music from this band.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

The creation of any new piece of GN'R music needs to be taken out of Axl's hands completely except for his vocals of course

From what I know individuals even more desperate than you have tried it before ("shut up and sing") and it hasn't worked out all that well in the end :lol:

On 5 August 2016 at 9:50 PM, -W.A.R- said:

the label should have put the album out back in 99 but they told Axl it wasn't good

with him being very fragile emotionally at the time, that probably upset him and it turned into the clasterfuck it did. the label cost themselves more waiting on Axl to make a better record (and all he did was keep polishing the album they thought sucked) than just throwing it out there and let it be what it was gonna be.

it took the label way too long to realize this, but by that time they were 15 million in the hole, had wasted an obscene amount of time, and had one hell of a overproduced album that you would expect after being tinkered with for 10 years.

This.