Ride Sharing LA - San Diego

Hey!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, if not, please move the thread :) 

My uncle and me are on vacation in Los Angeles right now (we're from Germany) and we came here for the GNR shows. We've bought the San Diego tickets before the LA shows were announced and we weren't able to sell the SD tickets yet. We have no idea how to get to San Diego and back after the concert and we have no car. This is why I wanted to ask you guys if anyone drives to the San Diego show from Los Angeles and is willing to share the ride with us? That'd be really cool and we'd pay for it, of course :)

Thanks & see y'all at the show tonight! Yesterday(s) F'n rocked!

• Like 1

Well played, but in all reality, not in LA. The bus station is in Skid Row and is pretty scary.

One way might be to take Amtrak (which leaves from Union Station) and then take a taxi or ride share from the train station to the stadium. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have any trains after 10 at night so getting back from the show might be a problem, but in a pinch, you could perhaps take Amtrak down to San Diego, find a hotel for the night and leave in the morning. Or find a safe place to hang out overnight, like an all-night diner (Denny's is usually open 24 hrs.) and grab the 6am train out of San Diego back to LA.

It's not a perfect plan by any means but if there are no other options, it might be an idea. https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/738/630/Pacific-Surfliner-Schedule-060616.pdf

Edited by stella

1 minute ago, stella said:

In all reality, not in LA. The bus station is in Skid Row and is pretty scary.

One way might be to take Amtrak and then take a taxi or ride share from the train station to the stadium. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have any trains after 10 at night so getting back from the show might be a problem, but in a pinch, you could perhaps take Amtrak down to San Diego, find a hotel for the night and leave in the morning. Or find a safe place to hang out overnight, like an all-night diner (Denny's is usually open 24 hrs.) and grab the 6am train out of San Diego back to LA.

It's not a perfect plan by any means but if there are no other options, it might be an idea. https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/738/630/Pacific-Surfliner-Schedule-060616.pdf

You in the jungle baby...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Inglorious said:

Ahh, fair enough. Still by all means the question is valid. Its supposed to stop running before show's end. I read it is often extended for to-from for shows such as this. Is that all a bunch of nonsense? 

Best thing to do would be to check with the San Diego Transit people (MTS) and check. They do run special service to Qualcomm but I'd still confirm if I were going to the show. The regular Metro buses that usually go to Dodger Stadium did NOT run for the LA concerts, and a number of people I know spent a long time trying to get an Uber to get out of the stadium. So it might be worthwhile to call MTS and ask on Monday morning. https://www.sdmts.com/

• Like 1

Just now, Inglorious said:

Gotcha! Will do. Thank you for the heads up.

Good luck - it's on the Green Line, if that helps. And if you have never been on the system, you will need to buy a Compass fare card (it's $1 or so) and load it with money to use the trolley. If it were me, I'd consider doing that early in the day, because if the trolley IS running, there will likely be a huge rush to get those cards/fares from people trying to get to the show and long lines.

21 minutes ago, stella said:

Good luck - it's on the Green Line, if that helps. And if you have never been on the system, you will need to buy a Compass fare card (it's $1 or so) and load it with money to use the trolley. If it were me, I'd consider doing that early in the day, because if the trolley IS running, there will likely be a huge rush to get those cards/fares from people trying to get to the show and long lines.

There arent machines that you can just feed cash?!

36 minutes ago, Inglorious said:

And could I perhaps just get it the night before? Where do I obtain it? I knew thered be more hurdles when I thought Id planned everything out.

You can get a Compass card at Albertsons and some Vons in San Diego, some convenience stores in the greater SD area and any San Diego trolley, Coaster or Sprinter station. This has a list of locations. http://511sd.com/compass/compass

On the buses, you can use cash, but on the trolleys it's strictly cashless. You either have a Compass card or you have to buy a ticket at the machines in the station. When you have a Compass card, you tap it against a reader in the bus or trolley to deduct the fare.

If it were me I'd try to get the card the night before or earlier in the day, and load it with more than enough fare to get me there and back. There are probably going to be about a zillion people at those ticket machines who don't have tickets/Compass when you're trying to go to the show and get back.

But on the other hand if you're not from San Diego, you might want to call MTS first thing in the morning or Monday morning to make sure they even have the trolley running after the show.

• Like 1

Im going to take it to the show regardless... so... its still valuable. It sounds like my equivalent of a Farepay card for UTA. Ill get on that when I arrive in SD. Thanks for the heads up all the same. Ill set some bucks aside if I have to snag a ride back to the hotel.

Downtown or 'Skid Row' LA has a bad rep, but I've stayed in a hotel there on two separate occasions, and taken the greyhound multiple times also. For Coachella I took the bus from DT LA at 6am, went to the festival, slept in the greyhound carpark in Indio from 3-6 and then got a greyhound back to LA. Back in Hollywood by 10 am :headbang: Life's an adventure, just try not to sleep in carparks lol