Get Out (Jordan Peele Thriller)

RussTCB

The last few years I've averaged going to the theatres to two or three outings.  

2017 seems to be an outlier, as I definitely want to see this and Logan.  I finally got around to seeing (John Wick 2 - amazing).  

Good year for movies so far.

8 minutes ago, downzy said:

The last few years I've averaged going to the theatres to two or three outings.  

2017 seems to be an outlier, as I definitely want to see this and Logan.  I finally got around to seeing (John Wick 2 - amazing).  

Good year for movies so far.

Despite the experience sometimes being ruined by assholes or younger kids in the theater, I actually love going to the theater more than watching movies at home. Not only is it a bigger screen and more "immersive" experience because of that and the sound, but in a theater you have a sense of "OK, I'm here to watch this movie and that's it.", and even though I collect movies and love my setup at home, I still get that feeling of "Well, I can hop on my phone quick" or "I can run downstairs and grab something to eat quick.", and at a theater I don't feel like that.

So the last few weeks I've made it a bit more of a point to see movies that I really want to see in the theaters, because some from last year I found myself saying "Wow, I really wish I would have seen that in the theaters." Especially IMAX showings.

Though I will say, unless I go with a group of friends, I hardly ever have any desire to see comedy movies in the theaters.

• Like 2

As a general rule I only see movies in theatres that are greatly enhanced from seeing it at a theatre (or that I want to support).  

For me, dramas and comedies don't really need that big-screen experience to enjoy them.  

Coupled with the fact that when the wife and I go to the movies, with food, it comes to $50 or more for the evening.  I just don't see as much value in going to the theatres, fighting with the crowds, and being overcharged for food when the same film will be available at home where home-theatre setups are amazing only a couple of months later.  

When it comes to big-budget productions that have a lot of hype attached, I'll pay to have reserved seating.  Gone are the days arriving an hour early just to avoid sitting in the first four rows.  

I'll still go see the theatres, but not like I use to.  Too many other things I'd rather spend my money on.

Yeah, I totally agree. Could you wait to see Get Out at home? Sure, it isn't a "must see on the big screen" movie, but it deserves to be supported and seen on the big screen.

But like later this week I'm seeing Kong: Skull Island in IMAX. Easily a movie that should be seen in theaters due to the nature of the movie, and the IMAX experience.

As for seating, unless the movies been out for a few weeks, I get my tickets on Fandango and the theaters I go to enforce reserved seating anyway (which they just started doing in the last 1-2 years), so thankfully I don't have to fight the crowds. When I used to live in Virginia, not only were movie tickets $2-3 more there, but we would have to show up 30+ minutes and queue up in line to make sure we got a decent seat. I remember the first time having to do it and I was like "This is weird as hell. I've never had to line up for a movie." :lol: