Our Interview with Kellii Scott (Opened for & Auditioned with GNR)

We recently interviewed drummer Kellii Scott from the band Failure. He used to be in a band called Dumpster that opened two shows for GNR in the early 90's (during the warm up club dates prior to the UYI Tour). He also auditioned for GNR in the late 90's before Josh Freese got the job. He's also good friends with Chris Pittman and Frank Ferrer and talks about how Pittman got hired by Axl. We've also got a pretty BIG interview coming next week! We're supposed to shoot it today! Stay tuned!

Edited by sidman69
added something for next week's interview
  • Like 1

Listening now. Lots of neat NuGNR tidbits. Love how he needed to track down a cow bell for his audition, lol!

His story about delivering a specific snare to Frank reminded me of the story of Brain and Baker driving around town to find the perfect snares. After all the care for the snare drum over the bands history the SOYL engineering is especially surprising.

7 minutes ago, soon said:

Listening now. Lots of neat NuGNR tidbits. Love how he needed to track down a cow bell for his audition, lol!

His story about delivering a specific snare to Frank reminded me of the story of Brain and Baker driving around town to find the perfect snares. After all the care for the snare drum over the bands history the SOYL engineering is especially surprising.

Thanks yeah i love the little tidbits. I hope you guys like UYI era cause we have a pretty big interview with someone from that era today. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sidman69 said:

Thanks yeah i love the little tidbits. I hope you guys like UYI era cause we have a pretty big interview with someone from that era today. 

Longtime fan and love your interviews, but what's the gain by being secretive about who you interview?:P It's already so frustrating to be a fan of this band, even the fan channels do that "gotta be secretive" stuff! If you announced the guests your interview could be a portal for fan gnr questions to all those guys too. People could post questions they want to ask them and you can then do it. It is almost always more likely you'll end up with more interesting questions than what you alone would come up with. Would be great.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

8 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Longtime fan and love your interviews, but what's the gain by being secretive about who you interview?:P It's already so frustrating to be a fan of this band, even the fan channels do that "gotta be secretive" stuff! If you announced the guests your interview could be a portal for fan gnr questions to all those guys too. People could post questions they want to ask them and you can then do it. It is almost always more likely you'll end up with more interesting questions than what you alone would come up with. Would be great.

i don't like to post ahead of time because we've had one guest not show up in the past so i don't want to get people's hopes up on who we interviewed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sidman69 said:

i don't like to post ahead of time because we've had one guest not show up in the past so i don't want to get people's hopes up on who we interviewed. 

Just say that "guest X is supposed to show up on day x...post your questions here" instead of "we're gonna interview guest X". Missing out on all those other things I wrote doesn't seem to be worth it just to "create suspense" for the couple of people who catch your guest announcement posts on the forums. Would get much more out of those interviews as a community letting us know who'll be coming in and making a thread before the interview happened. But of course it's your channel, just my 2 cents.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown