Death Metal

forcechangenow

okay, i won't flood the boards with a bunch of topics about individual bands, this is about death metal as a whole. This thread is NOT about all these shitty new bands such as slipknot and whatnot. People who think that Slipknot are death metal are stupid and uneducated about music. This is about the real deal. Who here likes Death Metal? - Reccomended bands: Possessed, Death, Napalm Death, Malevolent Creation, Carcass, Cancer, Suffocation, Pestilence, Obituary, Katyklysm, and any and all bands that are worthy of representing this genre.

Death Metal has been overlooked, and under rated for just about as long as it has been around, most likley the vocals, but thats what makes the music. Anbody who says thats its just screaming gtfo, its not as easy to sing like that as it seems to be. The musicianship is better than any other genre, with amazing lightning fast riffs, to mind blowing solos, death metal is the real deal

Best death metal band . . .

Death - Definatly the death metal band to start out with, they make you realize that its not a bad genre (I didn't like Death Metal until I heard this band) R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner. My favorite death metal band by far, Chuck has ideal vocals for the genre, ranging from brutal deep low growling (Scream Bloody Gore - Spiritual Healing, to more normal, yet still brutal amazing vocals (Individual THought Patterns & Human) to high pitched yet STILL brutal vocals that will blow your mind (Symbolic & The Sound Of Perseverance)

Best Albums-

Symbolic - All the songs on this are amazing with great riffs and solos. Definatley their best.Key Tracks - Empty Words, Symbolic, and Crystal MOuntain

Spiritual Healing - Their second best, with great vocals, my favorite out of al the albums. This album showed a great leap in talent with the addition of James Murphy on guitar. Key Tracks - Altering the Future, Spiritual Healing, and Within the Mind.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i'm wondering something then... the term "grind."

take the band exhumed... exhumed uses the word "grind" to describe their music, or elements of it, i've heard... so tell me, what in the fuck is the difference between the two?

to me, death metal music sounds a lot more structured and technical then "grind." if it is what i think it is, grind is bassically just fast, open strings, screaming, and yeah, shit.. or is it something else?

napalm death... i've heard people call them a "grind" band... are they really? please explain the whole difference between the two terms for me :D

edit: kataklysm... i saw this band live not too long ago w/ danzig and i liked them a lot. i thought their songs were awesome. "in shadows and dusk" and "serenity in fire" were two that i remember distinctly. awesome songs. do they get respect within the scene? they should, i think.

Edited by there is no dana only zool

ok i'm wondering something then... the term "grind."

take the band exhumed... exhumed uses the word "grind" to describe their music, or elements of it, i've heard... so tell me, what in the fuck is the difference between the two?

to me, death metal music sounds a lot more structured and technical then "grind." if it is what i think it is, grind is bassically just fast, open strings, screaming, and yeah, shit.. or is it something else?

napalm death... i've heard people call them a "grind" band... are they really? please explain the whole difference between the two terms for me :D

edit: kataklysm... i saw this band live not too long ago w/ danzig and i liked them a lot. i thought their songs were awesome. "in shadows and dusk" and "serenity in fire" were two that i remember distinctly. awesome songs. do they get respect within the scene? they should, i think.

Grind is basically short songs like 20 seconds or something with political lyrics usually. It's fast, lots of blast beats, with either screams or deep growls.

Napalm Death/Carcass etc basically founded Grind, although Carcass founded GoreGrind. Napalm Death and later Carcass evolved into Death metal. Napalm Death still have some grind influence in their recent works.

The musicianship is better than any other genre, with amazing lightning fast riffs, to mind blowing solos, death metal is the real deal

I respect your opinion, but once again, lightning fast soloes arnt what musics about man...You may love Death Metal, i think its ok, everyones opinion counts, but its not up to you to decide whats the "best" music style...

The musicianship is better than any other genre, with amazing lightning fast riffs, to mind blowing solos, death metal is the real deal

I respect your opinion, but once again, lightning fast soloes arnt what musics about man...You may love Death Metal, i think its ok, everyones opinion counts, but its not up to you to decide whats the "best" music style...

I understand that it may not be to some peple what it is to me, and I wasn't trying to say that everybody should agree with me, some people may agree with me, and some people might not agree with me, its just my opinion, and I'm throwing it out there for everybody to hear. Just because I say I like death metal better than any kind of music doesn't mean that I think everybody should, and its not the only kind of music I listen to, right now for instance, I'm listenint to Vivaldi, and next I may listen to Pink Floyd, or Mastodon, or Queens of the Stone Age, or Black Label Society, so you see I like a lot of different styles of music, death metal just happens to be my favorite, and I know it may not be some peoples favorite. For people that haven't heard it, check it out, if you don't like it I DON'T CARE, IT'S YOUR OPINION, AND I RESPECT THAT, and it doesn't make any difference to me, death metal isn't a very open genre, it takes a while to like. and I don't base my opinions just on the solos or how fast it is, I look at it overall, and overall, it's my favorite.

And Children of Bodom are Black Metal, which I'm not the biggest fan of, but COB are pretty good. Hatebreeder is a good album.

what about Children of Bodom?

They are not death metal.....

....but they are so fuckin´ great.... rock3

What are they? I don't like them, I like Hammerfall and Blind Guardian, what kind of metal is that?

COB are black metal

...and hammerfall are heavy metal

Blind Guardian are bard metal....

What are they? I don't like them, I like Hammerfall and Blind Guardian, what kind of metal is that?

COB are black metal

i thought COB classified themselves as 'Thrash'...

oh well, their guitarist is amazing

Deicide and Nile are fantastic, although I keep managing to miss them live.

i like a fair bit of Death and Black metal, but I hate it when the production is so bad that you can't make out a damn thing, which tends to be the case on a lot of the albums as they are made on such a tight budget. Bands like satyricon and Immortal nailed it with their production (ok they're black metal, but still for the purpose of the point), while early Emperor and Ackerkoke's production is so poor I can't even listen to it.

k i dont like any of this genre but i got a question, who are/were all those norwegian dudes killing each other and burning churches?

Well You think of Varg Vikernes aka 'Count Grisnack'

He killed one of the members of mayhem , Eeuronymous',with 18 knifestabs in the back. He also burned two churches.

There were some other churches that were burned in the early 90's and another mayhem member, 'Dead' shot himself in his mouth with a shotgun.

ive got heartwork by carcass which is pretty cool - classics such as 'doctrinal expletives' 'arbiet macht fleisch' and 'this mortal coil'. im not sure which album the wonderfully titled 'genital grinder' is on though. i love the fact they basically look through the medical dictionary for new words which basically mean rotting flesh.

ive also got a channel zero album but im not sure if theyre really death metal

COB are black metal

Agreed, COB is not Black Metal

Death Metal kicks ass....

personally I like Cannibal Corpse the most......you just gotta like the lyrics and the song titles ;)

...Death is good aswell (R.I.P. Chuck)

Children Of Bodom is listenable so is Carcass..........plus older Slayer albums are half death/half thrash albums

COB are black metal

Agreed, COB is not Black Metal

OK....so COB are melodic black death trash metal...lol... ;)

Spiritual Healing - Their second best.

Spiritual Healing is Death's weakest album of the 90s by a considerable margin. Human, Symbolic, Individual Thought Patterns and Sound Of Perseverance piss on it from a great height.