ThomasMeadow

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Grohl - best drummer in the world :lol::lol:

Kurt Cobain - there are no words to describe how cool and true he was :blink:

Krist Novoselic - solid bass player, solid as they come :monkey:

Pat Smear - he's from the Germs for godssake!! that alone makes him christ...but listen to him play, he's intense...swirlin around stage like a dervish 'dervish' :book:<_<

Shut the fuck up newbie... :fuckyou:

Edited by scottyboy_1986

My reasons for disliking Nirvana

1.  I find Cobain to be one of the worst singers in rock history.  Many say his voice worked with his style of music, but I just think it was off key, and he wasn't a good screamer.

2.  Other bands from the same era whose lead singer did not die are much better, but they don't get as much credit, because they "got old".  Bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, and lesser known bands like Mudhoney were much better, but get no props.

3.  Cobain's success lead to Courtney Love's success, and if anyone is a worse rocker than Cobain...

4.  Cobain is fake.  His image was all "I don't want the spotlight, I'm pissed off.  I'm the anti rocker" then he did everything he could to stay in the spotlight.  Where as Eddie Vedder avoided being a "big rock star"  Pearl Jam didn't even promote their second album, and it rocked ass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally agree with that..

Nirvana just weren't anything special when it comes to the music itself. They weren't particularly great players, all their stuff was bare and basic beyond being basic.

Beyond In Utero I don't see where else they might've gone with it...

An album after 1994 would've been a flop for sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think so. The album being a flop after 1994 is a GN'R problem, I guess... :lol:

Edited by Ferrari

Cobain's attitude that he never wanted to be famous. A person with that mindset shouldn't do interviews with MTV, shouldn't sign multi-million dollar contracts and shouldn't be a Rockstar.

Just my 2 pence.

EDIT: I also find his voice makes me want to rip out my ears with a rusty butter knife

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, we pretty much have the exact same problems with him.

shut the fuck up newbie? hmm, thats a good one, i'll remember that for the next time i'm climbin' offa ur momma...and theres only one drummer better than Grohl and thats Topper Headon from the Clash.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wtf? there are hundreds of better drummers out there....try listening to other music apart from fuckin GnR and Nirvana....try exploring the music dipshit.

John bonham is the best if u actually knew anything

So many fucking morons on this forum now!!!!argghhh

:anger:

Saying that Cobain wasn't a good screamer or that he was lying his ass off about wanting to be famous arent really good arguements to support a case saying Nirvana's music was over-rated.

Good points could be.

1. The media over hyped them.

2. Cobain knew how to play the game and get attention for his band.

3. Or just, his music was badly written and recorded really badly.

4. They had one hit single.

5. They never developed past a couple of records.

I think this thing about "selling out" is pretty lame. Because these type of guys lived without any money for so long and without any money to record the record they wanted to make. Like Grohl lived on nothing playing for Scream. And finally didn't make as much money as you might think. In the end, maybe Cobain's suicide sold a ton more record and his estate grew and grew. Why is everyone so bothered about the money anyway. Ok, so he went on MTV and said a few pissy remarks.

Nirvana arent a glam metal band. They are more of a arty rock n roll band.

i've never liked the worshiping/idolisation of anyone, which has seemed to happen to Mr. Cobain. Still, thats not the bands fault at all. It's like the idolisation of Axl as the best singer in the world, with the best viewpoints on EVERYTHING, who can do what he like and be called cool for it. <Insert Rock on smilie here>. *PA waits for inevitible "ooooh! but he is" reply. Idolisation of anyone is wrong in my opinion. But nobody asked for my opinion.

I've got two of their albums, and they're good to listen to once in a while. Solid, good band, but hyped out of proportion.

drummers are good based on a lot of factors, topper headon by virtue of the fact that he could play just about ANY style of music...listen to his work, then judge

"try listenin to music other than GnR" yeeeeeees, cuz topper headon was in both those bands wasn't he? lol sorry sorry, whoose the moron? remind me...

Edited by rocketsredglare

i don't think nirvan r rly overated, it's just that today the only bands posers know r emo crap and nirvana. but rly, kurt cobain was a musical genius, he wrote all the songs pretty much himself and even if you don't like them you have to admit they are (most of them) good songs.

I love Nirvana, it's my #1 fav. band.

they're not overrated, execpt their influence for rock music. if they were as influencive why do i hear so much crap rock?

i love Nirvana because they have lot of emotion in their songs, hate and anger.

Kurt Cobain had a hard life and that's where he got inspiration for his songs.

and :fuckyou: anyone who says Kurt was an asshole. he was not, he was good nice guy.

if i had to pick a person who is/was more asshole out of Kurt & Axl, i'd say Axl.

Edited by pet0

Well, Nirvana wasn't some legendary great band, which they are sometimes perceived in general to be. Like people said, it's all caused because Cobain died when he was most popular.

I didn't like Nirvana's lyrics, they were either some whiny shit, or some shit that made no sense. I didn't like Nirvana's guitar playing, it didn't blow me away. Still, Nirvana was a decent band. DECENT, not as good as some of the bands back then, such as Stone Temple Pilots, etc. I find it very, very annoying when people, magazines and polls praise Nirvana as some Godly band, when they were just decent.

they're not overrated, execpt their influence for rock music. if they were as influencive why do i hear so much crap rock?

and  :fuckyou: anyone who says Kurt was an asshole. he was not, he was good  nice guy.

if i had to pick a person who is/was more asshole out of Kurt & Axl, i'd say Axl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

anyone who selfishly and willingly leaves their wife and infant daughter behind is an asshole. Good, nice guys don't leave their children w/o a father....by choice.

and  :fuckyou: anyone who says Kurt was an asshole. he was not, he was good  nice guy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

anyone who selfishly and willingly leaves their wife and infant daughter behind is an asshole. Good, nice guys don't leave their children w/o a father....by choice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and you are pro death penalty... what if defendant would have children... then it's people like you to make children live without fathers...

and you should remember Kurt was on lot of drugs, maybe suicide wasn't so consideret...

Edited by pet0

I'll just do a little overview of the band members (I'm sure many will disagree)...

Kurt Cobain: Why is he praised as a guitar god? He can barely do a solo, people think that he's automatically a great guitarist because he was the brains behind Nirvana...

This should sum up what I mean about people worshipping his playing...

http://guitar.about.com/library/bl100greatestb.htm Check #26.

And what are so great about his lyrics? A mosquito, my libido? Come on. And, although I'm not a big fan of his voice, it works for some songs.

Kris Nove...- He's probably my favorite member of Nirvana, although he plays pretty much like any other bassist, he wrote some cool stuff.

Dave Grohl- I don't much about drumming, but I didn't get the impression that he was all that great.

One good thing did come out of Nirvana (No, not Kurt's suicide) and that was Heart Shaped Box.

I'll just do a little overview of the band members (I'm sure many will disagree)...

Kurt Cobain: Why is he praised as a guitar god? He can barely do a solo, people think that he's automatically a great guitarist because he was the brains behind Nirvana...

This should sum up what I mean about people worshipping his playing...

http://guitar.about.com/library/bl100greatestb.htm  Check #26.

And what are so great about his lyrics? A mosquito, my libido? Come on. And, although I'm not a big fan of his voice, it works for some songs.

Kris Nove...- He's probably my favorite member of Nirvana, although he plays pretty much like any other bassist, he wrote some cool stuff.

Dave Grohl- I don't much about drumming, but I didn't get the impression that he was all that great.

One good thing did come out of Nirvana (No, not Kurt's suicide) and that was Heart Shaped Box.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i don't think you have heard all their songs... there are plenty of cool previously unreleased tracks on the Nirvana box.

To be honest just to extend this arguement to a broader perspective. People are saying why were Nirvana so widely praised? Well, I think we also have to consider that just about every band gets really great reviews and praise from some sections in the press.

You take some very average bands and then look at their press it always says they are the greatest. I've worked as record reviewer before and some magazines don't want a shitty review. They just want positive stuff. Then the band gets a biography done full of their press.

Cobain's suicide highlighted his bands good press for a while. There are detractors and this is only right. Bands get praise and unjustified criticism and vice a versa.

On Suicide: on the day I found out I my intial thought was Heroin. I've heard that people who are trying to give up are often suicidal. Thru no fault of their own. Also I found that Kurt was manic depressive. A friend of mine said it is common for manic depressed to commit suicide. Their happiness is greater than it should be and their lows are too low. Like when they feel a bit down it's like they can't take it. Hard to imagine? Sure.

So Kurt was trying to kick heroin and was manic depressive. Who was on The Reapers wanted list that year?

I feel people who are manic depressive should be treat with extra care by people. They should be told out right you have to be careful. We should ostracixe these people. Which is what communities do to these people. People say oh he's crazy, he's a maniac. So that person is isloated and goes off the rails. Maybe they need to be just going to theraphy everyday??

That's why I personally think it's ok if Axl just wants to sit in his house and eat donuts and play GTA. I can see how life could cause him problems. I mean I'm not manic depressed and that's all I seem to do!!!!

Pet0: the reason u still hear crap rock despite their influence is that taking someone elses format doesn’t garuntee u have the talent to pull it off.

Igyhi: what’re u talking about? Its not just of cobains death, they were a multi-platinum phenomenon in music, both critically acclaimed and commercially successful. Their lyrics were either whiney shit or didn’t make sense huh? Ok, whiney shit, rock n roll is based on the blues, rhythm n blues…so take away the rhythm and u got the lament of the blues. Its half of the genre and as far doesn’t make sense well I dunno about you, when things don’t make sense to me initially I actually deem that a lacking in myself and go out to of my way to understand it…maybe the fault is in your understanding, its ur job to interpret, u can’t cite that as a shortcoming on Kurts part.

Luvaxlforever: ur not kurt, u weren’t there, u don’t know how he felt anymore than I do so u can’t pass judgement on him for being a selfish asshole cuz u don’t know squat about the situation, no one really does but ol’ Kurt.

Jochen: why is he praised as a guitar god? See, people don’t get this a lot on this forum so im gonna break it down a little. Being a great guitarist doesn’t necessarily mean that u can do textbook solo’s that last for 20 minutes and other such stuff, it could just mean u make a fresh inventive sound that is hard to duplicate. I’ve said this before here but listen to the guitars of Keith Levene, specifically on the Public Image Limited album Metal Box (or Second Edition) now that, to me is great guitar playing cuz it’s fresh and inventive…people like kurt alter formats, Thurston Moore too is in that kurt vein of experimentation. Its alternative music (or was meant to be, I don’t quite see it that way) don’t expect loooooong solo’s and that kinda stuff cuz it’s not what the musics about…don’t mean they’re incapable of em it just means that they choose not too…there are certain rare practise sessions u can get of kurt where he shows that he can pull that shit off but it just didn’t interest him, he didn’t wanna float down that same old stream merrily, he wanted to break ground. He always said of In Utero that for nirvana it was the last chapter in 3 chord rock n roll and from then on they were gonna do something REALLY different. Just didn’t get a chance. Whats so great about his lyrics? The fact that u hafta go out of ur way to understand them as opposed to havin’ it laid out on a plate for ya. The fact that he evokes amazing imagery with his words and odd parallels that paint an interesting and thought provoking picture. A mosquito, my libido? Ok, how about the great degree of bands on the planet that make their woah woah yeah’s and yeah-hee-yeah and ooooohs…something Axl is really guilty of. Listen to most of his lyrics, quite thought provoking actually.

Nirvana are quite probably the greatest band rock n rolls seen in a LONG time. for two simple reasons...honesty, passion.

Luvaxlforever: ur not kurt, u weren’t there, u don’t know how he felt anymore than I do so u can’t pass judgement on him for being a selfish asshole cuz u don’t know squat about the situation, no one really does but ol’ Kurt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't matter if I was there. He had an infant daughter who he left behind w/o a father and left her to be raised by a crazy spaced out mother; committing suicide is the ultimate selfish action. I have felt suicidal before, when I went thru post-partum depression. And you know what I did? I got help, instead of taking the cowards way out. My children were much too important for me to leave them.

As far as the music goes, clearly it spoke to a group of people, and still does, just like we feel about GNR. Although I personally am not a big fan, when I was in school and everyone found out he died, half of my classmates were walking around crying like their best friend died.