GREATEST ROCK N ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD EVER

rocketsredglare

well, see, no i haven't at all and i don't think u could prove otherwise either...whereas i think i could go to enormous lengths in justifying my statement. would u like me to?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would love to see you try.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sex Pistols may have only been together for two years in the late '70s, but they changed the face of popular music. Through their raw, nihilistic singles and violent performances, the band revolutionized the idea of what rock & roll could be. In England, the group was considered dangerous to the very fabric of society and was banned across the country; in America, they didn't have the same impact, but countless bands in both countries were inspired by the sheer sonic force of their music, while countless others were inspired by their independent, do-it-yourself ethics. Even if they didn't release any singles by themselves, there was an implicit independence in the way they played their music and handled their career. The band gave birth to the massive independent music underground in England and America that would soon include bands that didn't have a direct musical connection to the Sex Pistols' initial three-minute blasts of rage, but couldn't have existed without those singles.

says it all really...which of those other bands did that in that short space of time with that limited a degree of output?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, and... I'm still waiting for you to tell me how they "piss on them on their worst night" All you told me was how they were an influence, and all of the bands I named were/are bigger influences

And they were dangerous...so that makes them better than all those other bands? I don't think so. Nice try though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

piss on them on their worst night was basically a way of saying they were a better band in just about every sense...but yeah, it stands on it's own as a statement but it requires u to go watch footage of the sex pistols and their gigs...look at the intensity, the energy, even their worst ever gig at winterland...how honest straightforward and strong they came across as a musical unit, about the tightest band i can imagine pre-sid vicious. they were so good they had a bass player who couldnt play and still managed to carry off the music...bigger influences? i don't agree, i don't agree at all, they didn't outright CREATE this new thing in that kind of space of time, that quickly and with that degree of lasting relevance...pistols were around for just 18 months, what had those other guys achieved in that space of time? could it possibily compare to the pistols laundry list of positive achievements?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, see, no i haven't at all and i don't think u could prove otherwise either...whereas i think i could go to enormous lengths in justifying my statement. would u like me to?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sex Pistols may have only been together for two years in the late '70s, but they changed the face of popular music. Through their raw, nihilistic singles and violent performances, the band revolutionized the idea of what rock & roll could be. In England, the group was considered dangerous to the very fabric of society and was banned across the country; in America, they didn't have the same impact, but countless bands in both countries were inspired by the sheer sonic force of their music, while countless others were inspired by their independent, do-it-yourself ethics. Even if they didn't release any singles by themselves, there was an implicit independence in the way they played their music and handled their career. The band gave birth to the massive independent music underground in England and America that would soon include bands that didn't have a direct musical connection to the Sex Pistols' initial three-minute blasts of rage, but couldn't have existed without those singles.

says it all really...which of those other bands did that in that short space of time with that limited a degree of output?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, and... I'm still waiting for you to tell me how they "piss on them on their worst night" All you told me was how they were an influence, and all of the bands I named were/are bigger influences

And they were dangerous...so that makes them better than all those other bands? I don't think so. Nice try though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

piss on them on their worst night was basically a way of saying they were a better band in just about every sense...but yeah, it stands on it's own as a statement but it requires u to go watch footage of the sex pistols and their gigs...look at the intensity, the energy, even their worst ever gig at winterland...how honest straightforward and strong they came across as a musical unit, about the tightest band i can imagine pre-sid vicious. they were so good they had a bass player who couldnt play and still managed to carry off the music...bigger influences? i don't agree, i don't agree at all, they didn't outright CREATE this new thing in that kind of space of time, that quickly and with that degree of lasting relevance...pistols were around for just 18 months, what had those other guys achieved in that space of time? could it possibily compare to the pistols laundry list of positive achievements?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Iron Maiden are better than Sex Pistols live PERIOD :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*gasp* dear God...forgive Johnezz...he's a cool guy really, it's not his fault...it's Kerrang...they did it to him. please spare his soul from the bowels of Hedes. hes a good guy really...he likes Mohandus Karamchand Gandhi, what does that tell u ??? i mean i aint tellin u ur job or nothin lord but spare this one...he just might see the light. lol

watch the filth & the fury Johnezz, i reccomend it...unless u seen it already

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and in the studio

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*gasp* dear God...forgive Johnezz...he's a cool guy really, it's not his fault...it's Kerrang...they did it to him. please spare his soul from the bowels of Hedes. hes a good guy really...he likes Mohandus Karamchand Gandhi, what does that tell u ??? i mean i aint tellin u ur job or nothin lord but spare this one...he just might see the light. lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehehe i was only stirring you mate, it's so easy to do. Our musical differenaces are too apart to really argue about them anymore, you'll never convince me, ill never convice you. Btw what is Kerrang? And oh, Maiden fucken rock rock3:P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehehe i was only stirring you mate, it's so easy to do. Our musical differenaces are too apart to really argue about them anymore, you'll never convince me, ill never convice you. Btw what is Kerrang? And oh, Maiden fucken rock rock3:P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i figured lol kerrang is um, a rock magazine. and uh lol *i'm so predictable* the pistols fucken rock harder!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i figured lol kerrang is um, a rock magazine. and uh lol *i'm so predictable* the pistols fucken rock harder!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah ok, we don't get it over here in Australia. I mean only 12% of households or less have Cable TV (isn't it like 60% or more in America), which means no exposure to MTV and VH1, so us Aussies arnt exposed to the mainstream bullcrap as much as you Americans. Good music travels by word of mouth and one of the biggest national radio stations (Triple J) heavily supports the underground scene.

Proof Maiden rock hard: Poor Quality, But Never the Less, Right Click and Save

More Proof

The Sex Pistols were important.  :sleeper:

We have heard it all before.

Musically, they were nothing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heard it all before it's spoken, hmm. ok, musically nothing? nevermind the fact that anyone who knows anything about music will tell u that sonically, the pistols were one of THE most important bands in rock n roll history...and, musically, changed the landscape of popular music...steve jones, "the wall of sound" guitar playing, Johnny Rotten proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are no rules to singing, they broke down barriers, they made intensely catchy music, energetic music, music that spearheaded a pop culture revolution....so excuse me, musically nothing? u say that based on what exactly?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah ok, we don't get it over here in Australia. I mean only 12% of households or less have Cable TV (isn't it like 60% or more in America), which means no exposure to MTV and VH1, so us Aussies arnt exposed to the mainstream bullcrap as much as you Americans. Good music travels by word of mouth and one of the biggest national radio stations (Triple J) heavily supports the underground scene.

Proof Maiden rock hard: Poor Quality, But Never the Less, Right Click and Save

More Proof

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lucky u...cuz MTV VH1 et al arent worth pissing on if they were on fire. btw, cool proof, i think i've seen the first one somewhere before, usta have a friend who was obssesed with maiden...even gimme this t shirt which a fucked up monster head on it with the words Purgatory underneath...cool shit

heard it all before it's spoken, hmm.  ok, musically nothing? nevermind the fact that anyone who knows anything about music will tell u that sonically, the pistols were one of THE most important bands in rock n roll history...and, musically, changed the landscape of popular music...steve jones, "the wall of sound" guitar playing, Johnny Rotten proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are no rules to singing, they broke down barriers, they made intensely catchy music, energetic music, music that spearheaded a pop culture revolution....so excuse me, musically nothing? u say that based on what exactly?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know The Pistols are important. Very important. And I know they had catchy songs.

But, they were 3 chord punk songs. Musically, they ain't a big deal.

Great as they were, they were nothing compared to the melodic genius of The Beatles or the darkly beautiful sounds of Joy Division...

heard it all before it's spoken, hmm.  ok, musically nothing? nevermind the fact that anyone who knows anything about music will tell u that sonically, the pistols were one of THE most important bands in rock n roll history...and, musically, changed the landscape of popular music...steve jones, "the wall of sound" guitar playing, Johnny Rotten proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are no rules to singing, they broke down barriers, they made intensely catchy music, energetic music, music that spearheaded a pop culture revolution....so excuse me, musically nothing? u say that based on what exactly?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know The Pistols are important. Very important. And I know they had catchy songs.

Great as they were, they were nothing compared to the melodic genius of The Beatles or the darkly beautiful sounds of Joy Division...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ur judging a band based on one album against entire catalogues of other bands. just look the stuff John Lydon did after the pistols, stuff that was meant for the pistols as band but didn't make it so they broke up, look at public image limited, THAT is genius, far out-weighing anything by any band i've ever seen/heard of, including Joy Division, in fact, check Joy Divisions influences...how about judging the beatles on one albums worth of output? the point i was making is that in the space of 18 months and one album, no band has had the degree of impact that the pistols did...not only musically, but culturally...socially...but they were three chord punk songs and as such musically they ain't a big deal...u seem to ignore what i previously wrote...the guitar sound on that album is revolutionary, it has been immitated countless times since, in fact people from all over the place call steve jones to reproduce that sound on their album to this day, latest example being lisa marie presley, for whom steve worked as a session musician, even great god axl rose said he wanted to do the pistols song I Did You No Wrong with steve jones (and did) becuz no one can make the shit sound like him...Paul Cook is an amazing drummer....solid, melodic...workman drummer...the perfect solid base required for steves wall of sound and johnny rottens psychotic vocal...u just make a sweeping indictment when u say "three chord punk" without delving deeper into it...

ur judging a band based on one album against entire catalogues of other bands.  just look the stuff John Lydon did after the pistols, stuff that was meant for the pistols as band but didn't make it so they broke up, look at public image limited, THAT is genius, far out-weighing anything by any band i've ever seen/heard of, including Joy Division, in fact, check Joy Divisions influences...how about judging the beatles on one albums worth of output? the point i was making is that in the space of 18 months and one album, no band has had the degree of impact that the pistols did...not only musically, but culturally...socially...but they were three chord punk songs and as such musically they ain't a big deal...u seem to ignore what i previously wrote...the guitar sound on that album is revolutionary, it has been immitated countless times since, in fact people from all over the place call steve jones to reproduce that sound on their album to this day, latest example being lisa marie presley, for whom steve worked as a session musician, even great god axl rose said he wanted to do the pistols song I Did You No Wrong with steve jones (and did) becuz no one can make the shit sound like him...Paul Cook is an amazing drummer....solid, melodic...workman drummer...the perfect solid base required for steves wall of sound and johnny rottens psychotic vocal...u just make a sweeping indictment when u say "three chord punk" without delving deeper into it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alright, I'm respecting some of what your saying.

I don't agree that they are "The Greatest Rock N Roll Band In The World Ever"...but I do love the Pistols and I'm with you on what they did in 18 months.

I love that demo version of Pretty Vacant. Prefer it to the record.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ur judging a band based on one album against entire catalogues of other bands. just look the stuff John Lydon did after the pistols, stuff that was meant for the pistols as band but didn't make it so they broke up, look at public image limited, THAT is genius, far out-weighing anything by any band i've ever seen/heard of, including Joy Division, in fact, check Joy Divisions influences...how about judging the beatles on one albums worth of output? the point i was making is that in the space of 18 months and one album, no band has had the degree of impact that the pistols did...not only musically, but culturally...socially...but they were three chord punk songs and as such musically they ain't a big deal...u seem to ignore what i previously wrote...the guitar sound on that album is revolutionary, it has been immitated countless times since, in fact people from all over the place call steve jones to reproduce that sound on their album to this day, latest example being lisa marie presley, for whom steve worked as a session musician, even great god axl rose said he wanted to do the pistols song I Did You No Wrong with steve jones (and did) becuz no one can make the shit sound like him...Paul Cook is an amazing drummer....solid, melodic...workman drummer...the perfect solid base required for steves wall of sound and johnny rottens psychotic vocal...u just make a sweeping indictment when u say "three chord punk" without delving deeper into it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a guitarist i would not call the guitar tone that album "revolutionary" it was defantly not. Eddie Van Halen blew them out of the water guitar wise, HE changed the guitar more than anyone else in the late 70's. The whole of the 80's is based off his style.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a guitarist i would not call the guitar tone that album "revolutionary" it was defantly not. Eddie Van Halen blew them out of the water guitar wise, HE changed the guitar more than anyone else in the late 70's. The whole of the 80's is based off his style.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

axl rose child, we finally agree on something lol in all fairness, greatest rock n roll band ever is a silly thing to try and argue anyway cuz music means different things to different people but...basically, the pistols i think i can convincingly argue for that title...

Johnezz, i agree actually that Van Halens guitar sound WAS pretty groundbreaking, but not a patch on ol' uncle jones...eddie = sonic, jonesy = seismic

I don't buy into the Pistols thing, every song I've heard of theirs has been really sloppy and honestly played pretty poorly. As for Lydon, it's a shame he's turned into a caricature now.

I have no place for them in my cd rack. But that's a matter of personal taste innit?

as for comparing Jones to EVH as guitar players and their influence... I can't believe you're serious.

Edited by moreblack

I don't buy into the Pistols thing, every song I've heard of theirs has been really sloppy and honestly played pretty poorly. As for Lydon, it's a shame he's turned into a caricature now.

I have no place for them in my cd rack. But that's a matter of personal taste innit?

as for comparing Jones to EVH as guitar players and their influence... I can't believe you're serious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sloppy and poorly played pale in significance to honesty of intention and message (even though i don't believe ANY of the album work was sloppy or poorly played) caricature i don't agree with either, nor do i really understand what u mean by that, could u explain? as Jonesy INCREDIBLY influential...just in a more understated way...a lot of it has to do with production...that said, i respect ur opinion bro.

sloppy and poorly played pale in significance to honesty of intention and message (even though i don't believe ANY of the album work was sloppy or poorly played) caricature i don't agree with either, nor do i really understand what u mean by that, could u explain? as Jonesy INCREDIBLY influential...just in a more understated way...a lot of it has to do with production...that said, i respect ur opinion bro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I appreciate the respect.

Ok to clarify, Lydon was rebellious and always raging about something when he was young, he wanted to change things, to be as uncomfortable to the establishment as possible. Well, the thing is that now he just looks and sounds like a cranky old man, like he turns on the rage to keep up the personna he created earlier in his life and to give people what they expect to see and hear from him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok to clarify, Lydon was rebellious and always raging about something when he was young, he wanted to change things, to be as uncomfortable to the establishment as possible. Well, the thing is that now he just looks and sounds like a cranky old man, like he turns on the rage to keep up the personna he created earlier in his life and to give people what they expect to see and hear from him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but look at the musical output...its been continuously proggressive and relevant, i see what ur sayin about caricature but thats only cuz the guy is iconic and in being iconic u hafta have certain things that people continuously identify with...but he's never stuck to a pattern other than, always be orignal and always be honest...and that i totally respect. i don't even think its a personna, it's just a side of him like all human beings have sides...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but look at the musical output...its been continuously proggressive and relevant, i see what ur sayin about caricature but thats only cuz the guy is iconic and in being iconic u hafta have certain things that people continuously identify with...but he's never stuck to a pattern other than, always be orignal and always be honest...and that i totally respect. i don't even think its a personna, it's just a side of him like all human beings have sides...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see that he's a tv host now, a show called Megabugs. Have you seen it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

uh huh...i think it's great, but thats him, through and through, he was never all about like, nihilism and all that punk stereotype shit, he was just about being honest and orignal

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

uh huh...i think it's great, but thats him, through and through, he was never all about like, nihilism and all that punk stereotype shit, he was just about being honest and orignal

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but does he swear on the air?