Could Slash Be Challenging Axl By Naming A Date?

madison

WHY would anyone think the only way Slash could have heard about a release date for CD is if Axl called him personally? Is there NO ONE else involved in this little project that could have perhaps passed along some information?

And yes, a 40 year old married father of 2 is looking for a challenge. I didn't hear "Get in the ring mother fucker"....now THAT"S a challenge. Slash has had a brilliant career, and continues to do so. The man has nothing left to prove. The only person he wants to challenge is himself, creatively.

I also think the GnR album would sell more, initially, just by fact that it's the GnR name.(ca-ching$) But the band also has to tour to promote it, and can't screw it up this time. Enough with the no-shows and riots. NO band does this crap, and if fans have to pay the excess amount for ticket prices their charging lately, there better be a show.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found it on Chinesedemocracy.com:

"KLOS 95.5 here in Los Angeles, the only classic rock station in the region was talking about a March release date for CD. Maybe Slash is right. They're a respectable station, and their pro Guns, it's not like they were making fun, so maybe this is it."

If mods wanna move it fair dos. Didnt know which CD related topic to put it in!

Grimo.

Of course KLOS could have picked up on Slash's comments. That's the problem when people say shit and never bother to disclose the source. I don't think this adds any ADDITIONAL credibility.

That being said I dunno maybe he saw Slash and actually talked to him, alot could have happen in the 3 years since we've seen him

Yeah.

Also, its unlikely hes challenging Axl, why would he want competition when VR's new album comes out.

We all know that there's a greater chance of pigs flying outside the window -- than there is of Axl calling up Slash on the phone to tell him the album release date first. So I started to wonder - why would Slash make this comment during the interview?

When I listened to the interview again, I realized Slash quickly followed the CD release date with a comment that VR's album would be coming out around the same time. Does anyone think that maybe Slash was challenging Axl to release it in March so that it would come out around the same time as VR's second album - and the two albums could then go head-to-head with each other on the charts? If this happened - do you think the two albums would sell the same? Or do you think one would totally outsell the other and "prove" GNR needs/doesn't need the original members?

Your thoughts?

first I want to say that the first thing you said was so funny :rofl-lol: about Axl calling Slash and telling him the release date.... but anyway, this is an good question and I really think you're right. but we all know Gn'R are better with the original members but Chinese Dempcracy will still sell soooo many copies but its only that if its good, they can make another album, if it isn't good, they cant.

I can see where you're coming from madison, but I think there is something that english teachers do a lot with Shakespeare and what a lot of people are doing right now- over-analysing.

I think Slash would like to see both albums compete head to head on the charts but I doubt he would falsify (if that even is a word :blink: ) a release date to see if Axl would comply. Firstly, I doubt Axl would even release it ahead of schedule just to see it compete- he'll release it when he wants to. I also don't think Slash would go to such lengths to see it happen.

I sincerely doubt Axl told Slash the release date- it is more likely that Slash heard rumours inside geffen/interscope about the release in March.

We all know that there's a greater chance of pigs flying outside the window -- than there is of Axl calling up Slash on the phone to tell him the album release date first. So I started to wonder - why would Slash make this comment during the interview?

When I listened to the interview again, I realized Slash quickly followed the CD release date with a comment that VR's album would be coming out around the same time. Does anyone think that maybe Slash was challenging Axl to release it in March so that it would come out around the same time as VR's second album - and the two albums could then go head-to-head with each other on the charts? If this happened - do you think the two albums would sell the same? Or do you think one would totally outsell the other and "prove" GNR needs/doesn't need the original members?

Your thoughts?

For the 1st question I think that Slash&co. feel pity for Axl because he hasn't achieved anything right since the band broke up, so In a way, Slash won't challenge Axl because he knows Axl can't deliver..

For the 2nd Question I think that IF Chinese Democracy get's released by the same time, then both albums will sell a lot, and that event will bring back Rock&Roll to a very good status forcing the actual Rock&roll bands to make better music.

Edited by Sergito

Or do you think one would totally outsell the other and "prove" GNR needs/doesn't need the original members?

Even if one did outsell the other I don't think it would prove anything. I would expect Guns N' Roses to outsell Velvet Revolver, at least to begin with, just because of the name. People will buy it because it says Guns N' Roses even if the music isn't good (unless it is very badly promoted, which is unlikely considering the money spent on it so far). In the long-term the better album might come out on top.

For me it will be the music that tells me which band is better, not the sales.

After the d.j. questioned Slash a little further, Slash said something to the effect of "yeah,March,April,May -somewhere in there" -so it goes to show that he is not definitely saying "March" - i think he just said that off the cuff,i think he meant more likely sometime in the spring.My guess would be that he heard it through either mutual friends that still talk to both parties(maybe Del James,etc??) or Geffen.It seemed like it came up casually enough in the interview,so i think that he genuinely heard that from someone halfway reputable and is just interested as we all are to hear the record.Peace ......

This is only a thought, but wouldnt it be great if Slash did announce CD. I mean think about it, an ex member of gnr, and someone in the spotlight more than probably any current member of gnr announcing an album. It would be quite cool,a lthough weather he would go along with it is a different story. Its just one of those crazy notions

i think that if gnr release chinease democracy in march around the same time as VR and im only saying IF, then of corse they willgo head to head and gnr would kick VR's asses because we all wanna Know how this new gnr stuff sounds and not everyone one this forum are VR fans. what do you guys think it just came into my head :question:

Your thoughts?

In a word... No! rock3

This is only a thought, but wouldnt it be great if Slash did announce CD. I mean think about it, an ex member of gnr, and someone in the spotlight more than probably any current member of gnr announcing an album. It would be quite cool,a lthough weather he would go along with it is a different story. Its just one of those crazy notions

Umm... I don't think so.

Axl has made comments in the past, where he seemed annoyed that former band members were trying to ride on the GNR coattails. So, I get the feeling Axl would rather stick needles in his eyes than have Slash be the one to grab the spotlight in announcing the release of Axl's new album. jmo. :D

IMO CD will sell more than VR, just because its GNR on the label, now if axl had the balls to release the album under another name, then it might be a different story.

I think slash said CD was due in march was because IF GHII was due out in december and then was cancelled, geffen would have told slash (and the others) the reason as to why this money generating album was not being released, ie: CD is coming out early 06'

Axl has made comments in the past, where he seemed annoyed that former band members were trying to ride on the GNR coattails.

surely its axl who is riding the coattails of GNR by keeping the name. BY giving the band an original name If CD is any good then it will be set apart from GNR, and if CD is crap then it wont soil the name of GNR. Hr can still cover some of the old tunes live, if he feels his new material is not strong enough. JMO

Edited by elsidor