The 80's Era

*ParadiseCityGirl*

I was watching "When Metal Ruled the World" on Vh1 last night and it was so awsome! I've seen it before but....Anyway:

Do you think the 80's era will come back? You know, 'sex drugs n' rockn'roll'.

I mean everyone was just living in the moment then and just goin all out and the music in the 80's(rock-wise) reflected that. If you've seen When METAL ruled the World then you know exactly what i'm talking about. rock3

Right now the world is dominated with rap and pop...everything seems so fake. Do you think the 80's will ever happen again?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, it will go in a cycle, each will become mainstream, metal didn't actually die till 1992, thank you Nirvana.

Nirvana are grunge,not metal so how does the stopping of metal reflect on nirvana??

He's saying it lasted up until 92...and that's when Nirvana showed up and drenched the world with grunge ;)

That's probably the only reason I DONT like Nirvana :tongue2:

Of course, it will go in a cycle, each will become mainstream, metal didn't actually die till 1992, thank you Nirvana.

Nirvana are grunge,not metal so how does the stopping of metal reflect on nirvana??

He's saying it lasted up until 92...and that's when Nirvana showed up and drenched the world with grunge ;)

but didnt cobain kill himself in 92?

and you cant not like a band just becuase of there personal people its alll about the music,if there nice people thats justa little bonus :xmasssanta:

and you cant not like a band just becuase of there personal people its alll about the music,if there nice people thats justa little bonus :xmasssanta:

No I do like Nirvana...everything (well mabye not everything) about them EXCEPT the fact that they killed the metal scene. And Cobain killed himself in April 94 i'm pretty sure....I just read a fuckin 400 page bio on Kurt so I should know :lol: !

No I do like Nirvana...everything (well mabye not everything) about them EXCEPT the fact that they killed the metal scene. And Cobain killed himself in April 94 i'm pretty sure....I just read a fuckin 400 page bio on Kurt so I should know :lol: !

:ph34r: Joo know best.

rock3

I was watching "When Metal Ruled the World" on Vh1 last night and it was so awsome! I've seen it before but....Anyway:

Do you think the 80's era will come back? You know, 'sex drugs n' rockn'roll'.

I mean everyone was just living in the moment then and just goin all out and the music in the 80's(rock-wise) reflected that. If you've seen When METAL ruled the World then you know exactly what i'm talking about. rock3

Right now the world is dominated with rap and pop...everything seems so fake. Do you think the 80's will ever happen again?

I think what i want to say is explained in your post .....sex and drugs still rule , the only thing that lost power was the god and old rock .

We can see how much sex and drugs are important today by the mainstream music of today , pop and rap like you mentioned . These two musical tyopes don't talk anything but sex or drugs .

Rock was criticized for exactly those reasons , and now the media ..well all the press seems to accept and compliment rap and pop that totally breath sex and drugs .Isn't it funny?:rolleyes:

Jesus christ... people actually call that 80's shit 'metal'..? Its a disgrace to the real word. Oh, metal didnt die in 1992. It fucking started... Open your eyes a bit more ;)

Actually I was referring to not only hair metal, but GnR, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera...you know, the bands YOU like?

What the hell you talking about "it started in 1992" ?

Jesus christ... people actually call that 80's shit 'metal'..? Its a disgrace to the real word. Oh, metal didnt die in 1992. It fucking started... Open your eyes a bit more ;)

Actually I was referring to not only hair metal, but GnR, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera...you know, the bands YOU like?

Umm.. I wasnt really referring to your post.. :huh:

But anyway, yes, in 1992 metal was just getting started. Oh yeah... Ooooooh yeah...

No, no - Juha's right. Pantera were just becoming big early 90's. A lot of the best metal has been made post 90's - it's just not mainstream. I like to think Megadeth's best albums were post 1990's.

Metal has been the best surviving genre from the rock world.

No, no - Juha's right. Pantera were just becoming big early 90's. A lot of the best metal has been made post 90's - it's just not mainstream. I like to think Megadeth's best albums were post 1990's.

Metal has been the best surviving genre from the rock world.

I meant the bands started in the 80s, I agree with you Pantera getting big in the 90s.

I would agree, Megadeth's best albums were post 90s. But the album that got them big was Rust in Peace, from the 80s.

Same with 'Tallica.

That '80s "metal scene" crap can stay away for the rest of time. The only '80s music that was worth a damn was Michael Jackson, and a few bands/artists who were still around from the '60s and '70s. That Motley Crue style crap died off for a reason: it wasn't any good.

I wouldn't say Metal ruled the world in the 80's, far from it infact.

Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest were not mainstream bands in the 80's, while they all had huge followings they were cult followings and were semi-underground.

Metallica infact only really became massive in the 90's.

The whole music scene is way too commercial now, everything is run by clear channel, there are plenty of good underground bands, but I think something drastic has to happen if they are to become 'mainstream'.

Maybe like a market crash or an apocalypse :drevil: