Charles Manson's quotes, and their importance for Axl Rose

Gallagher Rose

“If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy.” - Perfection??Axl's fave word

“Ego is the man, the male image. Ego is the phallic symbol, the helmet, the gun. The man behind the gun, the mind behind the man behind the gun. My philosophy is that ego is the thinking mind. The mind you scheme with, make war with. They shoved all the love in the back, hid it away. Ego is like, "I'm going to war with my ego stick."” - Yes,Axl reconstructed a band by himself.

“So for you people who are filled with fear that I might someday be released: breathe easy, I don't see it happening.” - Chinese Democracy??? :)

“I'm probably one of the most dangerous men in the world if I want to be. But I never wanted to be anything but me.” - Yes,the most dangerous lead singer of the most dangerous band ever.

“My relationship to music is completely subliminal, it just flows through me.” - There will never be a democracy in China.

“Your Honor, I am in a difficult position. The news media has already executed me and buried me...If anyone is hypnotized, the people are hypnotized by the lies being told to them...There is no attorney in the world who can represent me as a person. I have to do it myself.” - The recluse side of Axl Rose,wanting to stay away from the media.

Edited by bucketheadisgod

“I'm probably one of the most dangerous men in the world if I want to be. But I never wanted to be anything but me.” - Yes,the most dangerous lead singer of the most dangerous band ever.

I really don't think you can compare Axl, or GNR being 'dangerous' to Charles Manson being dangerous.

I know which one I'd rather meet in a dark alley.

“So for you people who are filled with fear that I might someday be released: breathe easy, I don't see it happening.” - Chinese Democracy??? :)

Again I can't see any real comparison. For a start Axl is the only thing stopping CD being released. Secondly can you really compare a serial killer (or a man who inspired serial killers if you want to be precise) to an album?

“My relationship to music is completely subliminal, it just flows through me.” - There will never be a democracy in China.

I could see the quote itself relating to Axl, but not in the way you've explained it.

Other than that its an interesting theory.

Yes this is true. Axl & Manson have many things in common. I like GNR's rendition of Manson's "Look At Your Game Girl" from Spaghetti Inccident. But Axl is not a sick, demented, twisted epitome of evil incarnated in a man. And so you know, Charles Manson was never convicted of killing anyone. He is one of the few men in jail serving life sentences for murders he did not physically commit. More than that, he never witnesed the murders either. Manson also receives 50,000+ letters EVERY WEEK! He is an artist, a writer and a musician. He is intelligent & calculating. But if I had my way, he would have been abacinated long ago. He has no right to life. Do not worry, his fate is sealed. This is not a person who should be praised. I do like some of his poetry, it is quite good. Very similar style to Axl. But he is a pervayer of evil. He has no future because of his actions. And if there is such a thing as divine justice, he will be damned with all the wicked, and will be offered no respite.

Yes this is true. Axl & Manson have many things in common. I like GNR's rendition of Manson's "Look At Your Game Girl" from Spaghetti Inccident. But Axl is not a sick, demented, twisted epitome of evil incarnated in a man. And so you know, Charles Manson was never convicted of killing anyone. He is one of the few men in jail serving life sentences for murders he did not physically commit. More than that, he never witnesed the murders either. Manson also receives 50,000+ letters EVERY WEEK! He is an artist, a writer and a musician. He is intelligent & calculating. But if I had my way, he would have been abacinated long ago. He has no right to life. Do not worry, his fate is sealed. This is not a person who should be praised. I do like some of his poetry, it is quite good. Very similar style to Axl. But he is a pervayer of evil. He has no future because of his actions. And if there is such a thing as divine justice, he will be damned with all the wicked, and will be offered no respite.

Dude, hats off to you sir. Excellent post. I however think Manson is very 'overrated' when it comes to any kind of talents that he might have. I know just as many pot heads with interesting theories and well versed music and poetry. He just used a bigger stage to convey his shit and is now paying the almost ultimate price. A martyr to many, a scum bag low-life to me. Anyone who thinks that man is great or inspirational is a brainwashed fool. It's just like the millions of Kurt Cobain worshipers that think he's some kind of god... all because he blew his head off. Sure, he wrote some cool music and helped spearhead a new musical genre, but jease, he's no John Lennon or Elvis.I personally think Axl only used his image and did that cover as a publicity stunt... you know... to rock the boat. That's what Axl is an expert at.

No doubt Charles Manson was a very clever man.

i actually think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about someone ever. I'm not saying this to sound like a righteous, good-not-evil kind of person- but the things that Manson said that people try to use as evidence for his high intelligence are really just very general things to begin with. Read some of his other philosophies; they are completely whacked out and don't make much sense. The guy's really just a cultural icon, nothing more.

I might get slammed for saying this but i think Manson rivals any of the great 60's folk singers, his music would have been released if he didnt go insane. He had support back then, but they quickly became scared of him. Manson also has a record produced by Brian Wilson thats never seen the light of day. It was locked in a vault the day of the murders, Noone knows if the recordings have ever been heard by Brian or anyone else since then.

I might get slammed for saying this but i think Manson rivals any of the great 60's folk singers

I have the LIE album... and although I'm not sure I'd say that it is particularly high quality folk music (but then again, i don't really know much "folk" to begin with, so, you know...), nontheless it is a fucking awesome album. the songs are totally interesting to listen to. pretty catchy and addictive................................. also one of those albums i used to listen to constantly when life was at a very high point--- and thankfully, i'm coming back!

the main thing is that he didn't achieve anything. he might have said some coolqoutes but nothing of what he said actually happened and he had a hand getting some people killed. so he just seems like he didnt know what the hell he was doing and ended up in jail. that's genius.

You guys have way too much time on your hands. Whats next? An essay marking the similarities between Axl and Rumpelstiltskin? Axl and Ronald Reagan? Pol Pot? Willy Wonka? We just got Kubrick and Manson out of the way, maybe try for Spielberg or Ed Gein this time. :sleeper:

I Think Axl Rose really appreciates Charles Manson.. and it's time to talk about the influences of Mr. Manson in his life.

It's a discussion about Guns n' Roses and Axl Rose,unfortunately some people just want to talk about Chinese Democracy.

Axl Rose, lead singer of Guns N' Roses, has introduced

convicted mass murderer Charlie Manson to a generation of young

fans. Over the objections of other members of G N'R, Rose included

a version of a song by Manson, _Look at Your Game, Girl_, on their

new album, _The Spaghetti Incident?_ Audible on the album after

the unlisted song is Axl heaving a sigh and saying, "Thanks,

Chazz." Manson stands to earn $62,000 for every million copies of

the album sold. Thankfully, the album seems to be sinking swiftly

in sales.

Most of the controversy over the recording has focused on

Manson's leadership of the group that killed actress Sharon Tate,

then pregnant, and six others in 1969. He was convicted of seven

counts of murder, and separately found guilty of murdering a stunt

man and a musician. The Doris Tate Crime Victims Bureau, named for

the actress's mother, has called for a boycott of Geffen Records.

But did you know about Manson's nazi beliefs and practices

both prior to and after his arrest for the Tate mass murder?

Manson has often been photographed with a self-inscribed swastika

tattoo. His avowed purpose in planning the killings was to blame

them on blacks and try to foment an apocalyptic race war. Even

inside prison, Manson continued to associate with neo-nazis.

In 1982, Manson was visited repeatedly at Vacaville prison by

northern California nazi leader Perry "Red" Warthan. Warthan

shortly thereafter killed one of his own teen-age followers, Joe

Hoover, after Hoover admitted that he and other members of

Warthan's band had stuffed racist flyers into lockers at Oroville,

CA High School. Support for Manson was part of Warthan's program

in seeking to organize a group of youthful neo-nazis. In June,

1983 Warthan was sentenced to prison for murdering Hoover, whom he

called a race traitor and informant who deserved to die.

Manson's earnings from the G N'R song are supposed to go to

the son of one of his victims, under the terms of a 1971 court

order. But Manson has pocketed most of the money he made over his

years in prison, including tens of thousands of dollars for

interviews and cash sent in by supporters and fans.

Ignoring his nazism, "Satanism" and mass murders--or perhaps

glorifying him because of it--young fans have made Manson a cult

figure, and exploitative entrepreneurs have rushed in to make a

quick buck. Manson shirts, dresses, and children's clothes are

available. Some are bootlegged, but at least one, which Axl Rose

popularized by wearing on Guns N' Roses last tour, is officially

licensed by Manson himself.

The T-shirt is produced in southern California by the Lemmons

brothers of Zooport Riot Gear in Newport Beach and pays Manson ten

cents for each shirt. Dan Lemmons of Zooport told the press,

"There's a good side to Charlie that hasn't gotton out...Kids

today don't look at Charlie Manson as a mass murderer. He's

like a rebellious figure."

Perhaps it is the neo-nazi nature of Manson's rebelliousness that

makes him such an appealing figure to the Lemmons brothers. They

are giving "a good chunk of the proceeds" from the Manson shirt---

they won't say exactly how much--- to Randall Terry's anti-

abortion group ["Opperation 'Rescue'"].

In defending the shirt, which shows Manson and the slogan "Charlie

Don't Surf", Lemmons said to the _San Francisco Examiner_,

"People get all worked up over some murders that happened almost

25 years ago. Why not be concerned with the babies who are

murdered in the U.S. every year."

This comment was made in reference to his anti-abortion beliefs.

The Lemmons also referred to Manson as a philanthropist and

environmentalist. Manson's "environmentalism" is probably akin

to the anti-immigrant, preserve the white-man's land variety

preached by neo-nazi Tom Metzger.

Axl Rose and Guns N'Roses were promoted heavily by Metzger and

WAR when, on an early album, they recorded lyrics attacking gays

and immigrants. Rose claimed at the time that he was only singing,

and that his views were not racist. But with the flap over Manson,

and his promotion of the shirt which is benefitting both neo-nazi

murderer Manson and the Christian-fascistic Operation Rescue, Axl

Rose's true colors are showing through.

What is the justification for a musician glorifying a man who

killed a musician? What is the hypocrisy of abortion opponents

promoting a man whose followers stabbed a pregnant woman to death,

killing her after she pleaded for the life of her unborn child,

stabbing her in the abdomen with a fork? What is the popularity

among young rock fans of a man whose nazi associate murdered a

teenaged band member for confessing to circulating racist flyers?

This is the sinister appeal of the irrational that promotes

what Wilhelm Reich referred to as "the mass psychology of fascism."

It is rooted in racism, hatred of women's independence, and a

desire for fascist authority disguised as "rebelliousness." Only

an intense cultural and social struggle among young white people

will overcome these unhealthy tendencies.

___--

Reprinted from Turning the Tide, a bi-monthly journal of anti-

racist activism, research, and education available from P.A.R.T.

(People Against Racist Terror), PO Box 1990 Burbank, CA 91507

Axl Rose, lead singer of Guns N' Roses, has introduced

convicted mass murderer Charlie Manson to a generation of young

fans. Over the objections of other members of G N'R, Rose included

a version of a song by Manson, _Look at Your Game, Girl_, on their

new album, _The Spaghetti Incident?_ Audible on the album after

the unlisted song is Axl heaving a sigh and saying, "Thanks,

Chazz." Manson stands to earn $62,000 for every million copies of

the album sold. Thankfully, the album seems to be sinking swiftly

in sales.

I assume I don't actually need to tell anyone here this, but Manson makes nothing from TSI. The money goes to the family of one of his victims.

I do think Manson wrote some good songs. Not great but good.

I also liked some of Hitlers paintings. (They were in a museum somewhere or other. He had a thing for street scenes, and was one of those obnoxious people who would draw in every single brick on the houses.)

Doesn't change the fact that neither of them should have had other people killed.