Discuss your thoughts of the leaked CD tracks ...

gunsguy

I think releasing "better" as the first single would alienate the old fans, and thats not a good idea!!

Its too far from the old bands sound. I think releasing a track that has the traditional guns feel to it with a small modern influence would be a much better idea.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I have to choose any of the songs to be the first single, I´ll choose Chinese Democracy

Better is great, but Guns have to come with something like "we´re here, that´s rock n roll and we are kicking you in the mouth" atitude, you know?

First off, hello everybody, I haven't posted in ages and few probably remember me but, you know, I got caught up in the hype of the new stuff like everyone else.

Does anybody ever remember something about There Was a Time being mentioned as being connected to the video trilogy of Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged? Those videos were meant to tell a story I remember and I'm pretty sure I remember Axl talking about There Was a Time in the making of for the Estranged video. There was a rumour it was the third in the sequence because the Estranged making of has IV on it instead of III. I think it'd fit in better to being 3 because I always saw Estranged as a fitting end, you know, resolving your demons. The whole, Axl jumping into the ocean in the video, cleansing himself of his past and being reborn metaphorically. And then TWAT is more about reflection which wouldn't fit in if the protagonist is meant to have cleansed his demons e.t.c.

Mind you, it's been so long, I wouldn't be surprised if even that was the initial plan that it's been scrapped. I'm probably looking too much into it.

I highly, highly doubt it - Only because E, DC and NR told the story of "Without You" by Del James. I cant see how TWAT would be able to add more to what was already told... Does that make sense?

But, as epic of a song as it is.. Who's to say that it wont be the start of another Video Trilogy... (Wishful thinking)

It would be a pretty good single, I keep getting it stuck in my head all the time. I mean, all the time. I think they definately need to release a good old rock song first as a single to prove they still got it.

Ahhh! JAC185 you're right! I got all confused. It was "This I Love."

I have read "Without You" before but I thought that it only told the story of November Rain?

The vid for NR was the only one that was so word for word about it - - DC and E were very much more interprative.

It is This I Love.

That's why I have been waiting to hear it ever eince 93 when Ax mentioned it in Rip.

I think Axl used to play bits of it live before november rain sometimes...

November Rain is the video that is based on Del's story...and the other vids are supposed to be continuations of the story...however, apparently Estranged didn't turn out to be the conclusion they had originally intended, that's why its part 4

It's been a few month's but now that there is actually something concrete to discuss instead of mere speculation, I thought I would drop my two cents in about the leaked material. I've listened to the material all day long and here is my initial response:

14 years and the most expensive album ever for this? These songs are good, very different from GNR of old, but nothing earth shattering here or even revolutionary. Let's break them down by song:

I.R.S.: Cool song, but what happened here? It had so much energy before but now it is all gone. I like the way the words make more sense now, but it needs more UMPH to it. When the beginning starts in, I have this image of Pokemon and Barney holding hands running through a field.

T.W.A.T. : Most disappointing of them all. I really expected so much from this song as it has been tauted for such a long time as a hit by those that have heard it, but man, it's a sporadic mess. It's too chaotic, the music is going in 5 different directions at the same time. Too much layering of music ontop of music. Listen to it again, Axl gets so lost in all of the music fighting for attention. Nothing memorable here. After hearing it 10 times, I still can't recall a memorable line or solo worthy of Guns N Roses.

Better: No pun intended, but this is much Better than the other two. It's different, but it works. Axl's voice sounds the best and the refrain at the beginning and middle is very unique and cool. Best track of the three, by far. However, so far from what GNR of old, that this can not be the first single.

After hearing all of the new material numerous times, I hate to say it, but I am worried that Chinese Democracy is not going to live up to expectations, not even close. Nothing so far has even come close to the epics from GNR's hayday. Even songs that weren't singles like Civil War, Locomotive, Breakdown, Dead Horse are better than anything Axl has been able to come up with by himself. While some of us on here will convince ourselves everything Axl does is genius, I am really worried that old GNR fans are going to HATE this new incarnation. Hate is a strong word, but when you replace all the original members of the biggest band of the 80's/90s and make people wait 14 years for a song like TWAT, there are going to be a lot of disappointed people.

My only hope is that Axl has some Jungle, some Paradise City, some ace up his sleeve that he is hiding until the album comes out. But deep down inside I feel this is it, this is the mythical album we've all built up so much and it doesn't come close to my expectations at all.

THE LAST BIGGEST PROBLEM OF THE NEW MATERIAL: GUITAR SOLOS!

To say Slash's absence is killing this new band is an understatement. None of these new solos do anything for me...They just come and go on the songs, but nothing is soulful the way Slash's solos used to be. I am very worried for Axl, very worried.

It's been a few month's but now that there is actually something concrete to discuss instead of mere speculation, I thought I would drop my two cents in about the leaked material. I've listened to the material all day long and here is my initial response:

14 years and the most expensive album ever for this? These songs are good, very different from GNR of old, but nothing earth shattering here or even revolutionary. Let's break them down by song:

I.R.S.: Cool song, but what happened here? It had so much energy before but now it is all gone. I like the way the words make more sense now, but it needs more UMPH to it. When the beginning starts in, I have this image of Pokemon and Barney holding hands running through a field.

T.W.A.T. : Most disappointing of them all. I really expected so much from this song as it has been tauted for such a long time as a hit by those that have heard it, but man, it's a sporadic mess. It's too chaotic, the music is going in 5 different directions at the same time. Too much layering of music ontop of music. Listen to it again, Axl gets so lost in all of the music fighting for attention. Nothing memorable here. After hearing it 10 times, I still can't recall a memorable line or solo worthy of Guns N Roses.

Better: No pun intended, but this is much Better than the other two. It's different, but it works. Axl's voice sounds the best and the refrain at the beginning and middle is very unique and cool. Best track of the three, by far. However, so far from what GNR of old, that this can not be the first single.

After hearing all of the new material numerous times, I hate to say it, but I am worried that Chinese Democracy is not going to live up to expectations, not even close. Nothing so far has even come close to the epics from GNR's hayday. Even songs that weren't singles like Civil War, Locomotive, Breakdown, Dead Horse are better than anything Axl has been able to come up with by himself. While some of us on here will convince ourselves everything Axl does is genius, I am really worried that old GNR fans are going to HATE this new incarnation. Hate is a strong word, but when you replace all the original members of the biggest band of the 80's/90s and make people wait 14 years for a song like TWAT, there are going to be a lot of disappointed people.

My only hope is that Axl has some Jungle, some Paradise City, some ace up his sleeve that he is hiding until the album comes out. But deep down inside I feel this is it, this is the mythical album we've all built up so much and it doesn't come close to my expectations at all.

THE LAST BIGGEST PROBLEM OF THE NEW MATERIAL: GUITAR SOLOS!

To say Slash's absence is killing this new band is an understatement. None of these new solos do anything for me...They just come and go on the songs, but nothing is soulful the way Slash's solos used to be. I am very worried for Axl, very worried.

I´m pretty sure those solos aren´t even gonna be there :)

And I think it´s been HEAVILY produced since those tapes were cut :)

but yeah, they sound flat, as all demos do :)

take it easy kids

2 year old demos Kaneda, please remember that.

I support Guns n' Roses. Whats the point in comparing to the old stuff. Think of that as a phase Axl went through, he does what he wants.

Edit- You dont even use the word "demo" at all in your whole essay of a post

Edited by Crackers

Hate to say it, but you make some very good points. I agree that TWAT is all over the place, but remember it is a demo, so hopefully they'll be able to sort it out on the real version. However, I think it does have the making of a great song, but the version we heard is a long way from fulfilling that potential.

Also, I would disagree that they haven't produced anything up to the standard of the old epics. The Blues deserves to be ranked up there with Don't Cry, NR, Breakdown, etc.

My main worry is actually that Better, TWAT and The Blues are the "big guns", seen as they are the ones that have been mentioned most, especially by Axl. If there is nothing better on the album, then there might be a problem.